Why all the dislike for GR?

Metamyr

Feb 7, 2006
Minnesota, USA
www.clanmyr.com
So i've been on this forum off and on for a couple months now, and i see a lot of people that rip on Ghost Reveries a lot. I'll admit, GR was the album that got me into Opeth, but now that i've heard it all I absolutely love all their albums MAYH on. Personally, I feel like GR was a step back towards a more BWP sound, rather than deliverance which was a lot heavier but didn't have a lot of the awesome acoustic and folky riffs that I think make opeth great. Lyrically is the only place i could see, because the lyrics don't necessarily come across as emotional as some of their other CDs. Anyone else notice this and know why?

GR is a good album sauf que TGC and the intro of BtM

i think that if opeth makes another album like GR (or in the same vein as GR), it will be perfect

GR is good, it's the first Opeth album i bought, but my favorite is BWP. It's just different, and i'm glad it is, or else every Opeth song would sound the same, which isn't good (or maybe it is :p).

I don't worry, but i'm a curious person when it comes to people's interests in music. I like to know what drives people to love certain music and hate others. Mainly I'm curious because it didn't seem like they made any negative changes to their style with GR, so i was wondering what it was people saw.

ThePoisoning said:
Why is it your worry if other people don't like said album?

He's just curious man.

I'm a GR hater, the only songs I REALLY enjoy off GR are Ghost of Perdition and Baying of the Hounds. I never desire to put this album on, the songs dont hold my interest, like reverie/harlequin should end way sooner and grand conjuration should be more compact like Demon of the Fall just as a pure energy song, a song that mediocre should not be pushing 10 minutes. I just feel like many of the songs are needlessly lengthened when perhaps the climax was already hit, and its nothing to do with attention span, cause I love MR and Orchid.

Hours of Wealth - too long???
Atonement - too long???
Isolation Years - too long???

The others I can see even though I wholeheartedly disagree...but how are those too long?

Scarlett Letterman said:
like reverie/harlequin should end way sooner

I couldn't agree with you more.

I have that as my MySpace (i'm oh-so-cool) song- and I find myself listening to it, and then minutes later it hits me that it's still playing and all I can think is "why hasn't this ended yet?"

Metamyr said:
I don't worry, but i'm a curious person when it comes to people's interests in music. I like to know what drives people to love certain music and hate others. Mainly I'm curious because it didn't seem like they made any negative changes to their style with GR, so i was wondering what it was people saw.

KEYBOARD:erk:

at first i loved it, but got sick of it way quicker than any other opeth album. only track i bother with now is Ghost of Perdition, and maybe sometimes Atonement.. but thats stretching it.

coolsnow7 said:
Atonement - too long???

The others I can see even though I wholeheartedly disagree...but how are those too long?

Yes, Atonement is definilty too long. The only longer songs on GR that feel like they're at a good length for what they are would be GoP and BtM. BtM especially, because when was the last time Opeth wrote a 7 minute long song with so many changes?

GR is not a bad album. Beneath the mire is incredible.

On the other hand, I only listen to 3 tracks on a regular basis(btm, gop, and both)

Scarlett Letterman said:
reverie/harlequin should end way sooner

I'm not sure exactly how you mean this... I think the song is awesome and not at all stretched out until it reaches the outro riff. I think that's repeated way too many times and gets kind of annoying, but up till then i love it. THe song would have been perfect if they had an outro like GoP (best outro ever imo)