Why all the dislike for GR?

GoP is the only *decent* (note, not good) song on the record... I could get carried away in my anti-GR attitude, but I won't. I've slammed it enough over the last god knows how long.

I hope they dont make the same lacklustre mistake on the next record. C'mon Opeth, do it good this time, like you have done before!

I think many people feel this way because it's not very "majestic"... by that i just mean, there's no really "sad" or epic moments on it, unlike... oh say any track from My Arms, Your Hearse. It's a more progressive, rock-ish sound and less metal in attitude. That's my reasoning anyway. It feels like a "fun" album, not an emotional one. Which is something that attracted me to Opeth in the first place years ago. I actually think they haven't had that sound since after BWP, and thus i haven't been as into the albums after that.

Different strokes for different folks. I love my prog as well, but i thought Opeth had an incredibly unique atmosphere and emotion present in past albums that fades more and more every release. If that's the thing you loved about them, no doubt you would be a bit dissappointed to not find it on Ghost Reveries. It's hinted at occasionally at least.

Metamyr said:
I'm not sure exactly how you mean this... I think the song is awesome and not at all stretched out until it reaches the outro riff. I think that's repeated way too many times and gets kind of annoying, but up till then i love it. THe song would have been perfect if they had an outro like GoP (best outro ever imo)

If they would have faded out at 7:20 in the song it would have been a perfect song, if they had of done the same at 8:12 it would still be good, but the last section they add on is really draws the song on too long, and the ending tries too hard to do another deliverance.

I don't think any of the songs are bad, it just doesn't have as many memorable riffs as past albums, there's no 'moonlapse vertigo ending riff' on this. Just not some of Mikael's best work to date.

I think Mumblefood hit the nail on the head. There is not nearly as much emotion in Reveries than, say, SL or MAYH. The start of Ghost of Perdition just blasts at you and while being technically proficient, doesn't really express anything. The softs songs are the only emotional ones, and even they don't have the charisma of songs like Benighted or Credence.

thats actually an interesting spin on things i never really thought out until now.

musically, id say GR is the most impressive Opeth album. but is it the best opeth album expressively? im not so sure...something to think about.

Mumblefood said:
I think many people feel this way because it's not very "majestic"... by that i just mean, there's no really "sad" or epic moments on it, unlike... oh say any track from My Arms, Your Hearse. It's a more progressive, rock-ish sound and less metal in attitude. That's my reasoning anyway. It feels like a "fun" album, not an emotional one. Which is something that attracted me to Opeth in the first place years ago. I actually think they haven't had that sound since after BWP, and thus i haven't been as into the albums after that.

Different strokes for different folks. I love my prog as well, but i thought Opeth had an incredibly unique atmosphere and emotion present in past albums that fades more and more every release. If that's the thing you loved about them, no doubt you would be a bit dissappointed to not find it on Ghost Reveries. It's hinted at occasionally at least.

A difficult balance it definitely is; MAYH definitely drips emotion, but can feel pretty same-y. GR has a huge variety of material, but the emotion doesn't feel as honest (agreed on the 'fun' description). I guess this is why neither are my favourites - that goes to either Still Life or BWP (i drift back and forth between the two).

Scarlett Letterman said:
If they would have faded out at 7:20 in the song it would have been a perfect song, if they had of done the same at 8:12 it would still be good, but the last section they add on is really draws the song on too long, and the ending tries too hard to do another deliverance.

I actually rather like the outro... I understand what you guys mean when you say it's a Deliverance-esque very long outro... but it just doesn't bother or bore me, it's an interesting rythym with a very cool and spooky guitar+ebo behind it, I dig it

the only thing I really don't like on Ghost Reveries is the "main" riff in The Grand Conjuration... it feels very generic to me, and the drumming feels very bland under it... the intro and outro feel like they last too long because of this... everything else about the song is very cool though I think

but back to Reverie/Harlequin Forest... I really can't say enough about this track, easily one of the best tracks they've ever written IMO, and possibly my single favorite Opeth track if I had to choose one, fantastic... I couldn't imagine the track being cut off at 7:20 or 8:12, the sections are too good to be left out

Scarlett Letterman said:
He's just curious man.

I'm a GR hater, the only songs I REALLY enjoy off GR are Ghost of Perdition and Baying of the Hounds. I never desire to put this album on, the songs dont hold my interest, like reverie/harlequin should end way sooner and grand conjuration should be more compact like Demon of the Fall just as a pure energy song, a song that mediocre should not be pushing 10 minutes. I just feel like many of the songs are needlessly lengthened when perhaps the climax was already hit, and its nothing to do with attention span, cause I love MR and Orchid.

how bout the entire deliverance album :erk: (minus for absent friends)

the problem with GR is that its not very consistant, the only song that i cant really love from start to finish of GoP, that, imo, is one of the best opeth tracks ever.
Ive never really gotten into MAYH or BwP and my fav stil is morningrise

I think the hate is more to do with the progression and change in Opeth's style. Writing the same music over and again doesn't work (a bit the same as Tool's 10,000 Days). I think Ghost Reveries may have been a second My Arms, Your Hearse, a big, brave move forward in their music. Although I do like most of the songs, I don't think it was anywhere near as good as MAYH. As Mumblefood said, the technical side of GR is incredible, but the emotional side (excepting Hours of Wealth) is a little underdone. Of course, this is new for Mike and the guys as well, and we can't expect the best of the best everytime they write a song (although I'm sure they do). They also have to learn. GR was just a step into the general direction that I think Opeth will take with their next records. And if I'm right, watch out for the next record: it will be incredible.

I think Isolation Years has a lot of emotion in it.

I don't know just how much emotion could have been put into it, since most of it is storytelling. Their is feeling in the words, but, well, I don't think Mike's ever expereineced demonic possession like he was writing about, so there is an emotional disconnect. But, because of its style, I don't think it really detracts from the quality as a whole.

biggsy said:
I think the hate is more to do with the progression and change in Opeth's style. Writing the same music over and again doesn't work (a bit the same as Tool's 10,000 Days). I think Ghost Reveries may have been a second My Arms, Your Hearse, a big, brave move forward in their music. Although I do like most of the songs, I don't think it was anywhere near as good as MAYH. As Mumblefood said, the technical side of GR is incredible, but the emotional side (excepting Hours of Wealth) is a little underdone. Of course, this is new for Mike and the guys as well, and we can't expect the best of the best everytime they write a song (although I'm sure they do). They also have to learn. GR was just a step into the general direction that I think Opeth will take with their next records. And if I'm right, watch out for the next record: it will be incredible.

so you're saying MAYH was the "emotional" opeth album, while GR is the "technical" opeth album, yet you say you think GR may have been a second MAYH? i dont understand

my problem with it at the start was that mikael said ages before it was released that it would be probably THE most evil sounding opeth album ever done. So i was expecting something in that vein. In that respect it was a disappointment, but its really grown on me. I do however, find it a very confusing listen in terms of continuation of feel and mood.

Still Life is perfect for this and so is MAYH