Why do drummers feel the need to tap the hihats before a band begins to rock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I say some people in this forum are spoiled or whiners, I definitely mean it...

You seriously gotta be kidding me....

The next thing that will annoy people will the presence of people at concerts, I swear... :lol:

When I say some people in this forum are spoiled or whiners, I definitely mean it...

You seriously gotta be kidding me....

The next thing that will annoy people will the presence of people at concerts, I swear... :lol:

I'm :lol:'ing a lot on this thread but really, doesn't it suck when you have to SEE other people at concerts. It's so distracting, and keeps me from counting the cool hi-hat hits so I can headbang in time :headbang: , spill my beer:cry: , and shit my pants...:zombie: THAT'S progressive!

J-Dubya

There ya go! That's the solution to the perfect concert. Someone just has to be rich and buy all the tickets, Gold Badges and be the sponsor for every band, so that they can watch it alone w/o any distractions or anything that will make you uncomfortable (and no one to share it with either).:lol:

This is right in line with "The sound was horrible from where I was standing" and "the stage lights were shining in my eyes" or "it was too loud"... c'mon - it's a live concert fer chrissake!! MOVE! Stand somewhere else! Wear plugs if needed! :cry:
And by all means, if a live highhat count bothers you.. stay home and listen to the CD !

I guess I've heard it all now.

People complaining about people who mosh, people complaining about people who don't mosh, people complaining about the camera policy, sound is too loud/soft, and NOW people complaining about the little drum intros.:puke:

Oh my goodness, please forgive me. I guess whatever a musician decides to do in a live setting is fine -- afterall it only matters if the musicians on stage can keep time and not the effect it has on the audience. I guess we should never question anything. And any time someone makes a completely reasonable suggestion to make a concert experience more enjoyable, lets all compare it to something utterly ridiculous that makes no sense at all like banning people from the concert.

Please forgive me, oh great Prog Power board. I shall never question anything a drummer does to keep the band on time, ever again.

The Michael

I fully support your right to state your opinion, whether or not I agree with it. And I fully support people's right to tear you, myself or anyone else a new one, which is what happens a lot (look at what happen to Woosta), when they don't agree. I also fully support people's right to take threads to the point of ridiculousness. That's the beauty of free speech. Relax Micheal. This is just a forum. We all have our pet peeves. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. :lol:

Oh my goodness, please forgive me. I guess whatever a musician decides to do in a live setting is fine -- afterall it only matters if the musicians on stage can keep time and not the effect it has on the audience. I guess we should never question anything. And any time someone makes a completely reasonable suggestion to make a concert experience more enjoyable, lets all compare it to something utterly ridiculous that makes no sense at all like banning people from the concert.

Please forgive me, oh great Prog Power board. I shall never question anything a drummer does to keep the band on time, ever again.

The Michael

dont take it personal dude, we're all just messing with ya:heh:. to each their own.

All this talk of keeping the beat is nonsense. The drummers are actually doing YOU a favor. If you get bored during the gorgeous piano or vocal or epic symphonic action and quit paying attention, the sudden blast of volume from returning instruments may frighten you ... and you could jump and spill your beer. The drummers counting down to the return to volume helps you prepare and get a better grip. So the next time you see a drummer, tell him thanks for all those beers you have not spilled because of him!

Ken
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :Smokin:

The Michael

Dude, thanks for the post it's really turned into one of the more interesting and :lol: threads...
Plus if it bugs ya it bugs ya, I never even thought about it before. I mean it's so common... From Wooly Bully to the Ramones yelling out 1,2,3,4 to the modern equivalent, it's always been there... You are the master of the sublime my friend! :headbang: :lol:

The Michael

Its just like saying, why use a stick to hit your snare when you have a cawk chilling there unused anyway?

I guess whatever a musician decides to do in a live setting is fine -- afterall it only matters if the musicians on stage can keep time and not the effect it has on the audience. And any time someone makes a completely reasonable suggestion to make a concert experience more enjoyable, lets all compare it to something utterly ridiculous that makes no sense at all like banning people from the concert.

The Michael
You are as entitled to your opinion as we are entitled to ours. You threw a questions out, some of us provided answers...
I was answering from a musician standpoint. And yes - what the band decides to do as far as affecting their performance - it is fine. If they need/want/feel more comfortable getting a count - then it IS improving it for the audience because it helps them keep the song/punches tight. Sorry if the highhat sizzle or stick clicks detract from your concert experience
From a crew and band standpoint I didn't think it was a "completely reasonable suggestion". You want a house sound engineer to be totally familiar with 10 bands worth of material in a live setting? Not gonna happen. POSSIBLY if they all brought their own sound engineers, it could be dropped out of the mains...
You also want all bands to change the way they cue eachother live to accomodate your personal prefernece... sorry - THAT isn't gonna happen either.
Either way man, just show up, have a beer or 2 (if you drink) and enjoy the show... no need to get so defensive.. the "oh great Prog Power board" was just trying to point some stuff out
Rock !

Status
Not open for further replies.