Why do Glen Benton's vocals sound different on the albums before and after 2000?

~Derek~

Sep 9, 2006
Tennessee
Why do Glen Benton's vocals sound different on the albums before and after 2000? Is there some kind of production that changed or what? The vocals on Once Upon The Cross and Serpents of The Light are a lot more audible than the ones on Insinaryhthm onward but I think the difference between the vocals is Glen sounds deeper and just overall great from Insinarhythm onward and that's the type of Deicide I had gotten into, so sampling the early albums I was a little surprised the vocals were different, not saying the pre-2000 vocals are bad, they're good, but Glen seems to have gotten better with age. Even the When Satan Lives CD, released a year after Serpents, Glen's deep lows present on 2000-onward are there, I wish his vocals were like that on the Serpents CD, but maybe it was production changes, I don't know, anyone have any idea why his vocals sound different from the early albums to the more current ones? Any pitch changes from mid to low possibly?

The last two were rushed/filler albums, while OUTC and serpents were the last ones where they were actually supported. with scars, you could blame neil kernon for that. i dont particularly care for his work

^Well, I like the work on the new Nile(making the drums that aren't bass drums actually audible) and Karl's growls are not drowned out in guitar.

I know what you mean, and personally, I prefer his older vocals as they were a bit more audible. His work with Vital Remains is really quite poor compared to what he's done with Deicide.

But that's just me - I love Benton's vocals overall, but I prefer to hear at least SOME of what they're saying, like David Vincent or Peter from Vader.

^He sounds hoarser on the new Vital Remains, he sounds better on Stench. I don't care about audibility really, Vincent is a great growler, but audibility isn't a must for me. So maybe Benton's voice is going, I don't know, it's still good, but it happens, just look at Chris Barnes, he's been deteriorating since The Bleeding, I still think he has a good growl today but man is it a lot more gravelly than the usual death metal vocal.