Why do many ultra-religious people NOT believe in alien lifeforms?

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
I have noticed that many Christians (mostly Super Christians) do not believe in life outside of Earth. Many seem to find alien life a threat to their bible and beliefs, and I was never quite sure why. I have known those that are anti-magic (don't believe in it, don't even want it spoken about near them), which sort of makes sense since it could deal with the occult and other "evil" things, but the alien bit always bugged me.

Anyone else ever experience this, or could someone answer me why?

By the way, I am not insinuating that if you do not believe in aliens you are foolish, I am just asking why the belief in them threatens organized religion.

I'm not sure. Seems to be something to do with the historical belief that we're the center of everything. We aren't, but people still believe we're important in the grand scheme of everything. If we aren't, it doesn't really make sense that God would pay so much attention to us like the Bible suggests.

well i am religious, but i think that there almost certainly must be another inteligent species not on earth...

but then again i wouldnt say that im a 'super christian' :p

Christianity focuses heavily on humans being God's ultimate animal/creation. It's no surprise that anything that would compromise the thought that only humans were "blessed" with the ability to use logic (note the oversimplification and irony here) and use it for human's will, etc.

TheLedTool said:
Christianity focuses heavily on humans being God's ultimate animal/creation. It's no surprise that anything that would compromise the thought that only humans were "blessed" with the ability to use logic (note the oversimplification and irony here) and use it for human's will, etc.

That, I might add, is also the reason why Christianity once resisted and persecuted the notion that the Earth is not the center of the universe and that the Earth revolves around the Sun, not the Sun around the Earth.

Besides,there's no creation of anything else than us on the Genesis book.And we are created in God's shape and all that.

Keep in mind the bible was written by people, and over 1950 years ago. Back then people didn't have all the technology to study outside of earth.
I believe there is life outside of earth. I think it's just the closed minded old rich people who don't want things to change because they have all they want now. religion doesn't dominate these people's lives, they have lots of other shit affecting them too. Christianity does leave you to interpret what you arte told.
Steve

yes...Christianity is definitely a self-important piece of fiction. Humans HAVE to be the best because we are made by God. Bah. To borrow from our English friends, Christianity is a load of bollocks.

Religion was invented. Hilarity ensued.

TheLedTool said:
Yes, think of that absolute confidence boost that God is on your side and you're going to Heaven because you're just right all the damn time. ;)

i heard if you're really good, He can do something for male pattern baldness, too.

Keep in mind the bible was written by people, and over 1950 years ago. Back then people didn't have all the technology to study outside of earth.
exactly. that's the main (but not only) reason that i'm not a christian. how can you believe what's written in a book which was supposedly dictated by some guy thousands of years ago. if someone claimed to be the son of god now, nobody would believe them. they'd most likely be locked up in a mental institution. so why believe that god sent his son to earth all those years ago?
it just seems completely illogical to me. how can you think that santa and the tooth fairy are just nice little stories, yet believe jesus was the son of god?
and what about the isolated peoples of the amazon etc, how are they supopsed to know about jesus and god? are they just exempt from heaven or what?
i just.. dont.. get it.

Steve420 said:
I believe there is life outside of earth. I think it's just the closed minded old rich people who don't want things to change because they have all they want now. religion doesn't dominate these people's lives, they have lots of other shit affecting them too. Christianity does leave you to interpret what you arte told.
Steve
oh yea i wonder where kepler's laws came from then..

On somewhat of a related topic, watch the movie "Contact" or read the book of the same name by Carl Sagan, if you haven't.

ah yes, I watched that. I believe she refused to believe those were aliens because that would disprove a lot of Christianity's teachings or something? I can't recall for certain, it's been a while...

oh, someone reped me that belial already said that.
guess i should've read the thread first:p
damn, i always come up as a jerk :((

GreatPhoenix said:
ah yes, I watched that. I believe she refused to believe those were aliens because that would disprove a lot of Christianity's teachings or something? I can't recall for certain, it's been a while...

In a nutshell & one side of the story, she and other scientists are looking for aliens, but the extreme religious folks are vehemently against it, because the proof of aliens threatens the doctrine of religious teachings (whatever that is), so this tall blonde guy with long hair, played by Jake Busey, sabotaged the first space craft. At the end of the movie, the religious people including the character, played by Matthew McConaughey, and the scientist, played by Jodie Foster, embraced new science and discovery without having conflicts with each other.