Why do so many people hate Anders Friden?

This thread is old... and you bought it up. Meep.

BTW: be glad you live in Norway. Lots of hot metal guys there.

Norway > Canada (my place)

I don see why everyone hates the vox on R2R. They're much less repetitive than say The Jester Race(Dawn of a New Day is badass). Also Anders high pitch scream > his growl.

IF new album, STYE, has much less actual singing than R2R. There are even growls hear and there. Its a great album, better than R2R and on the same level as Clayman 9/10.

But overall Mikael Stanne > Anders. Mikael's screams on Damage Done are really good, and he has great enounciation within them, a rarity in metal. Plus his melodic vox are great as well. However I do hate Mikael's vox on Lunar Strain, but i think he was experimenting here so he can be forgiven.

actually Dawn of a new day sucksass...

on the brighter side this new album is the first time Anders improves himself since Whoracle... I don't hate him as much as I used to do... :p

I loved him until Clayman.... he has gone downhill simply because of his clean vocals. It was okay once in a while, but now it is jsut too much. He sounds to me like Jonathan Davis, excpet very constipated. I do not mean that as a bash, but he just doesn't do it for me anymore heh

You guys should take a break with the rating. You are obviously a metal crowd and In Flames changed crowd, so it's no longer up to you anymore. In Flames with their last album is more accurately valuable for critique by a crowd that fancy things like Paradise Lost, Devin Townsend band, and fuck: nu metal.

Don't veil your face, they changed and it's not really your problem until you've bought STYE because you liked Jester race or whoracle. And don't reply saying they suck compared to Paradise Lost or Devin Townsend, we know they do because they are different, and newbies in that style. And I don't think that their crowd changing was an evolution, just a brutal change. Evolutions like Katatonia, Moonspell, Sentenced, these are another story.

Now since I'm not a metalhead anymore, here's my personal opinion:
I like their last album, is better than Reroute, of course I was a big fan of The Jester race and whoracle, but I can't compare at all. The music they play now is smoother, it got even better coloured in STYE; they kept some rythm power thanks to the drummer and they haven't completely lost their some lead guitar inspiration; even though the new style involves a riff stripping off.

The only thing I dislike is how they are still "newbies" in that style: the songs are alike, the "teen" vocals are not much the ones I like (I like modern rock vocals better) and sound so linear, The only "extreme metal" parts are brainless "brutal riffs" and brutal riffs suck, but I don't like brutal music anyway (ex: DT is not brutal music); and on stage Andy seem to screw his vocals purposely, ESPECIALLY when singing older songs like Colony... (he sounds like a soccer game commentator)

@legende: wow, yours is one of the very few posts i really like on this thread. aside from opinions on the new record (i've only heard about half of it so far, and i'm not exactly waiting impatiently to hear the rest, even though i find it remotely enjoyable), the comments about in flames changing target and being new to their new scene are very much to the point. kudos to you.

Well, people do try to claim nu-metal is metal... :p

Hates a strong word. I do not think much of his vocal or lyrical abilities, although they probably suffer, because my natural comparison is to Mikael for vocals, Niklas or Mikael for lyrics. Everyone's going to suffer a bit when compared to the best - still, imo Anders lies somewhere about the average mark, where In Flames at their best lie way above.

Anders can get a crowd stirred up, I saw that myself when I went to see them - although that day I was more impressed with Soilwork in terms of what they were playing. I just think In Flames could probably find a better vocalist.

As for the comment of In Flames not really fitting into metal these days... They're heading elsewhere, but they've still got roots sprawling back as it were. Bands like Katatonia, Anathema, Paradise Lost, Ulver etc.etc. who started out metal but travelled elsewhere are often still claimed as metal, listened to by metalheads and liked by them.

I think one of the marks of a truly great band is that they can make changes in their music and still sound good from one album to a next, imprinting their style on it. I personally wouldn't say In Flames have done that, although thats always going to be a matter of debate and taste. Even going nu-metal, I'd of expected more from them - as it is, I have difficulty listening to songs from it to the point where I can't listen to one all the way through.

I only have 2 things to say:

1.) Do you really think 1 person in a band can change they way they sound? If the other musicians didn't like what was going on they would either kick the person out of the band or leave. I'm sure they all like the new material. Shit, I think it still kicks ass!
2.) Someone earlier said that when they see Anders around town he doesn't look metal. Is this really important? Do your clothes define how metal you are? If you think so, then you're a poser. I'm quite sure that Anders is more metal than you.

All this arguing is retarded.
Remember: Arguing on the internet is like the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still RETARDED!!

rahvin said:
@montero: so you're not arguing. point out the difference for us to see. :p

My post is also an argument. And I think I'm silly for even posting it. But I just couldn't understand how some people think one guy can change the direction of a band without thier consent.
And I felt compelled to reply about the guy saying Anders doesn't look metal. I don't look "metal" but I bet that I'm more metal than some of the people that look metal.

well, i don't look metal and i bet i'm way less metal than most other people who don't look metal. :Spin:

however, i'm sure the rest of the band is more or less ok with anders' choices. is it important whether it's metal or not, btw? i mean, are we supposed to decide if we enjoy it or not, or are we all compulsive folder organizers? :p

It matters whether or not they're metal if thats what they're good at...

Actually, on the issue of In Flames, I reckon one person could change the entire direction, but that'd be Jesper, not Anders. Regardless, hes the frontman, he gets the love - or hate...

I don´t hate Anders Fridén. He seems a nice, polite, intelligent and metal guy :)
Actually I would like to do him one day (that means interview him - silly :p)

like the vocals, like the songwriting.....anders...dont try another reroute to remain...cuz u will be losing many of the fans that matter

If you are gonna stop liking them because they are writing what they want to then I'd say you really don't matter, it's their music. Furthermore, if you ask me, Friden is not the best clean vocalist by any means, he's decent, IMO. I do however like his screams and growls and I find his lyrics pretty interesting, they aren't bad at all. Some of you act like Stanne is some fucking great singer, his clean vocals sound cheesy. I think some of you guys are taking this shit too seriously, if you don't like it don't listen to it, it's not the end of the world, get a job, go outside. There are other things in life besides bitching and whining about stuff you don't like.

Actually, I think he seems pretty nice. I met him with the other In flames members in town, and he seemed nice (along with the others). And they do not WANT to look "metal" because they think it is silly. Which is true, imo.

Anyway, I think he's a good vocalist. Not the best. But good nevertheless.

Thank you.

anyone hating on In Flames and Anders can honestly go fuck themselves. Anders is a unique and great vocalist