Anders Friden Voice (Changing and Technique)

Jun 23, 2004
I have three questions about his voice, and maybe you can answer this:

Anders Voice sounds slightly different on every album i heard. On Jester Race for Example his screaming sounds relatively deep. On Soundtrack to your Escape it's alot higher and somehow different. And what was his voice in Lunar Strain?
In Lunar Strain his screaming was completly different. But why? Does he change his technique from time to time or is it normal that your screaming voice changes so much over the years?

I really like Anders screaming. But i found it even better, really unbeatable in Lunar Strain. In Lunar Strain, I think, he sounded like... Let me explain it like this: When I hear his voice on this album, I can imagine that there's no human singing, but an evil beast. Not like a fat demon... I have no example dammit... :D
Maybe you know what I mean. I'm sure his technique was different, but why did he change it. How do YOU find his voice back on lunar strain?

I think here was a thread some time ago. But I can't find it. I think someone explained how anders screams. I really would like to know this. Don't understand me wrong. I don't want to copy him. Just look up a few tricks to add on my own style. :D

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This thread is the best. Do you know what you've done? You've just proven that Anders Friden should never have been allowed behind a microphone.

:lol::D:lol::D:lol:

P.S. The singer on Lunar Strain was none other than now-Dark Tranquility's immortal Mikael Stanne.

:lol:

:Smug:

damn. This is REALLY embrassing :ill: ... :tickled:

I thought I read somewhere that In Flames "hired" Anders Friden to sing for their first album, which is Lunar Strain, and then he became a member of the band...
I probably understood something VERY wrong :D

Okay, I don't say that Anders voice is bad. I think it's very good. But not as good as Mikael Stanne's voice on Lunar Strain.

I have to change some questions now... :D :

Anders Voice sounds slightly different on every album i heard. On Jester Race for Example his screaming sounds relatively deep. On Soundtrack to your Escape it's alot higher and somehow different. But why? Does he change his technique from time to time or is it normal that your screaming voice changes so much over the years?

forget this question, I'm stupid :D

How screams Mikael ?

He was good enough. However, on TJR, I barely notice him. He's less important than the guitarwork, almost like a rent-a-singer just for percussive reasons.

anonymousnick2001 said:
He was good enough. However, on TJR, I barely notice him. He's less important than the guitarwork, almost like a rent-a-singer just for percussive reasons.

True, but at least there weren't any cringeworthy moments on TJR! I think that the part I've underlined is the key here. Now In Flames seems to be more vocally based than ever, and the guitarwork has become lazy and unimaginative. So as much as we blame Anders for the band's decline, Bjorn and Jesper have got just as much to answer for.

I even found his voice to be okay as recently as some of RTR, but on STYE there are some pretty awful moments, like in the verse of Borders And Shading where he sounds like Marc Almond's (Soft Cell) even gayer little brother. And of course the Jon Davis moments I could do without too.

I don't know how my post came off, but I meant to say that TJR is Anders's best performance ever BECAUSE there are no cringe-worthy moments and that he's less important than the guitar.

I think he's a great vocalist. His clean vocals can be a bit thin and weedy, but they're adequate.

On top of that, his voice is very, very distinctive. If In Flames lost him, their sound would suffer greatly. Or perhaps "change greatly" is a better phrase considering the general climate of this thread.

I like his vocals on Colony the best.

They serve as the perfect cross between his gravel-throated growls of the past and the more shrill shrieks that he uses on more recent albums.

Moonshield said:
On top of that, his voice is very, very distinctive. If In Flames lost him, their sound would suffer greatly. Or perhaps "change greatly" is a better phrase considering the general climate of this thread.
I could replace him, and people would wonder how his voice came back.

The band would be revitalized, of course.

The fact that he said "people would wonder how his voice came back" shows that he can't copy his current vocal style, and actually couldn't replace him.

The thing is, Anders' vocal style on The Jester Race is the most generic I've heard from him. Not BAD, but generic. It's the easiest to do. His style on more recent albums is much much more difficult to copy. Take Anders out of In Flames, and there would be a big change in the sound.

"Revitalised" - changed, would be the word. But only vocally. There are 5 people in the band, Anders is just one of them. I seriously doubt that In Flames' musical direction would change if Anders left. In my opinion, they'd probably go sharply downhill, because for me, Anders' voice is one of the key elements of In Flames' sound.

I also think, that Anders voice is very important for In Flames, but their guitar work is just as important as Anders voice.

@Moonshield:
You said it's very easy to do. So you know how?
Could you explain it, please? :D
I'm pretty curious about his technique...

Ravaging Dragon said:
I also think, that Anders voice is very important for In Flames, but their guitar work is just as important as Anders voice.

@Moonshield:
You said it's very easy to do. So you know how?
Could you explain it, please? :D
I'm pretty curious about his technique...
Oh yeah, the guitars are very important too. I just mean that it would be very difficult to replace Anders without a big change in the vocals. I can only think of one or two vocalists who sound like him.

As for growling, I find the low growls quite easy, and Anders' vocals on The Jester Race aren't very deep, which makes it a bit easier in my opinion. It's a very difficult thing to describe in words, and there will be many threads on this board that do a better job of explaining than I can, but you blow the air out using your diaphragm rather than from your throat. You use the muscles that you would use to sigh, if you know what I mean. And the sound itself is manipulated mostly by the shape of your mouth. I find it hard to describe exactly what you do with your throat, because obviously nobody makes a growling sound when they sigh. I think it's probably a technique which is quite difficult to learn by reading someone else's words. I find it easiest to attempt vocal styles by listening carefully to a vocalist who's good at it, and trying to pick up on little things they do which you can try yourself.