Anders live...what the fuck happened?

okay...on the other hand, you did say they shred. Now you're saying they don't shred. I'm with you on that, but it's kinda confusing when you keep changing your mind.

Still, I suppose it means I won the argument.

My thoughts on a few issues:

Anders was never an exceptionally good vocalist. His early vocals, which are true growls, show absolutely no variance and seem too forced when compared to growlers like Mikael Stanne or Mikael Akerfeldt. Simple reason: Those Mikes' normal voices are fucking LOW already, and Anders' voice is high pitched and whiny. And I don't think he had a proper technique to do those, which might have helped in this situation.

Anders changed from growling to screaming in the span of two albums: Colony and Clayman. In Clayman and on, he purely screams (when he's not singing). In Colony, he had a unique style which looked like a combination of growling and screaming; which was I think the best vocal performance of him. Still not really exceptionally awesome, but I'd say very good. It would definitely be awesome if he stayed that way.

But he didn't and switched to completely screaming, which didn't work out too bad either, I think, because his already high-pitched voice is a lot more suitable for screaming than growling. And I don't think his screaming performance has changed much since then... if you omit the tons of vocal effects (I think his voice receives more distortion than the guitars...) put over it, more and more with each album. Still I wouldn't call it bad, it's "standard".

Clean vocals are a different matter entirely. In Clayman he used a lot of cleans, but they were almost always used in verses (he screamed at choruses) and it was more or less just whispering without any melody, which fit the album perfectly. But after Clayman he switched those places - usually he screams on verses and sings on the choruses (which is the PRIMARY reason why IF's music has changed this much: a melody that is to be performed by dual guitars is much more different than a melody that is meant to be sung; and IF had always been known for the dual guitar harmonies). Which sucks, because as I said, his voice is whiny and kinda ugly (sorry Andie); although I'll admit it's kind of unique and many people would like it. By liking it, I mean liking the "tone" of his voice. But about the other dimension of singing, which is "your ability to sing", Anders fails unquestionably. Why do you think IF is releasing bad album after slightly less bad album now? Because they are writing melodies for a style they aren't famous for: singing, and the person which they write those songs to sing, actually can't sing. I don't care about sales (which I'm sure are better than ever), but for me, IF cannot win musically with this strategy.

About live performances: First, I don't think that video was that horrendously bad, he seems to be getting better as the song progresses; and second, I think he's just really tired. It doesn't have to be anything about his throat, just look at the way he talks to the audience at the beginning, he's just VERY TIRED. I don't know if Anders got over that period and is lively and kicking right now; but if he did I don't think his performance would be worse than the last year or something.

But the fact remains that his live screams always sounded VERY forced. And I don't need to tell you about live cleans - even his album cleans suck.

I can fully agree with everything in the above post :)

and about them taking a year off or so: with the studio they opened recently I'm SURE they could afford a year off!

I didn't mean his singing voice, I mean when he's just talking. He sounds a little worn out, sure, but not high pitched or whiny.

his voice actually sounds really unhealthy... Stanne's on the other hand, despite the fact that he's been an extreme metal vocalist for just about as long as Anders, sounds normal. You wouldn't believe how he's singing when you just hear him speak. Anders sounds as if his vocal cords suffered alot of stress in the past (which they did, due to his bad technique)

I like Disconnected, in spite of the lyrics. But then again, I like ASOP in general, it's okay.

I also listened to the entire of CC yesterday and found it to be a pretty good album to have on when you're working... most of the time it's cool background noise but every so often a catchy bit comes on which is refreshing.

The riffs are alternative metal, the lyrics sucks. yep, it's alright. :rolleyes:

Mate you reallly need to understand that your opinion is only that; an opinion. It doesn't make you right or wrong. Calm down, there's no need to make comments like that.

Also i think it can be argued that "Symbolic" by Death is melodic death/thrash.

So if anyone hasn't heard that album, you really need to. :headbang:

The best death metal release EVER. :worship:notworthy:worship:

The riffs are alternative metal, the lyrics sucks. yep, it's alright. :rolleyes:
Oh no, alternative metal!!! The horror!!!

And bad lyrics! Who would have ever thought a metal band would have bad lyrics? :erk:

God you're so annoying. Stop acting like your opinion on In Flames is better than everybody elses. Do you even like In Flames? (serious question btw)

Besides, some of us aren't hardened metal heads with a close-minded view of this band. Outside of In Flames, Metallica, Opeth, Iron Maiden, Bathory and Sepultura, I don't even listen to that much metal.

Disconnected is actually alright.

There, I said it. Fuck all you motherfuckers.
tbh the last 2 albums are damn solid.

Also i think it can be argued that "Symbolic" by Death is melodic death/thrash.

So if anyone hasn't heard that album, you really need to. :headbang:

The best death metal release EVER. :worship:notworthy:worship:
Tbh you're completely wrong, but also way off topic.
However, I find this more interesting that said topic, so fuck it.

Symbolic is melodic, but lacks thrash influence, and isn't melodic enough to really be melodic death metal. Really, it's progressive death metal with a strong dose of melody. It's also not the greatest death metal release ever, it's not even the best Death release ever, but it is a fucking badass album. Sacred Serenity is amazing.