Anders Friden on Jon Schaffer

Dreadful

When Man& Machine Collide
May 2, 2003
San Diego, California
"IN FLAMES vocalist Anders Fridén has slammed ICED EARTH mainman Jon Schaffer over comments Schaffer made during ICED EARTH's 2002 North American tour, which featured IN FLAMES in the support slot.

"I have fucking little love for a certain guy in that band," Anders Fridén told Sweden's premiere rock/metal magazine Close-Up for its March issue (view cover here), referring to Shaffer. "I'm not the kind of person who talks shit about people — but this isn't bullshit, for that matter — [or the kind of person to] expose someone [in the press]. We supported ICED EARTH in the U.S. and did amazing well. We got a really great response and [Jon] — the rest of the band were cool — was upset, I guess. It ended with him calling us 'spoiled European pussies,' saying that I was a fucking rock star and a lot of other things. I'm fucking far from being a rock star, so I didn't feel guilty, but it was weird how he could make us out to be 'spoiled European pussies.' There were lot of complaints [from Jon], and our part of the stage was getting smaller and smaller, even though we'd sold out some of the venues before on our own. I could barely stand by the mic stand, that's how tight it was between the drum set and me. Then [I had issues with some of] his statements, which are [very] pro-America, to say the least. He talked shit about Swedes and Europeans in front of us and the other support act JAG PANZER, whose drummer [Rikard Stjernquist] is of Swedish descent. The drummer said 'What are you saying? I'm half Swedish,' to which [Jon] responded, 'Yeah, but you've lived in America for a long time, so we're not talking about you.' I've gotten along with everyone we've toured with, and I didn't think it was [that bad], even though we had differences of opinion, but [Jon] is the only person on this planet that I can't stand." "

Years ago, I was a real big Iced Earth fan and admired Schaffer's strength and leadership. After the last 2 weak albums, his raging ego, his growing pro-america stance (he's a friggin' moron in some aspects), he is just a conceited asshole. Iced Earth DID NOT sell out the NY IE/Bodom/Evergrey show, with them getting all the credit. I believe the reason for that is because Children of Bodom is on the tour.

Who cares...
You all should know by now that Jon speaks his mind,he states exactly how he feels and doesn't care "who he offends" or "what's correct to say"
I know alot of people do not care for Jon's opinions..and I am very sure he knows that as well,but I admire Jon for speaking his mind & not holding back.
Raging ego? I see nothing wrong with being proud,confident or prideful,he has been working incredibly hard since the 80's to get to where he has,and he knows it's paid off.

And who cares what Anders has to say anyhow...
Iam sure there are some,but I could fucking care less.
He is one of the worst vocalists I have witnessed live,and has an incredibly weak stage presence.Aside from him I think In Flames is a talented band.
"Jotun" "Pinball Map" even "Cloud Connected" are really great songs,but Anders in no position to slam Schaffer...in fact I am postive Jon smiled when he saw this very article.

Zac: sorry but being has pro-american and having such desrespect for other is not talking is mind. Its wanting mioney and being a fucking trash metal singer. Its not his fault if he sings trash metal but he can at lease try to have respect. Even if its not easy cause trash metal is soo evil and bad that he needs to let that evil out. Its common in trash metal to see demons as singers cause its SOOOOOOO EVILLLLL and BADDDDDDD

Zac I know where your coming from. We know how much both of us love Iced Earth. But if Jon said shit like that it isnt cool at all. In fact thats a good example of rascism. Pro america is one thing. I love my country. But I fucking love Sweden and Germany and Finland and all other countries for what they'e done for metal and other worldly contributions. And to be honest. I've said many many times. In Flames stole the show every night on that tour.

As I posted on the thread about this in the CoB forums, I don't really like Anders's newer vocals (specifically, Reroute to Remain, though I haven't heard Soundtrack to Your Escape yet.), but I would sure as fuck listen to R2R over Iced "Hi we wish we were Iron Maiden" Earth.
I have no respect for Jon Schaffer, as I can't stand blind "patriots" and all those egotistical fucks who enforce the stereotype that Americans are arrogant assholes.
On a side note, I'm actually going to one of their shows this spring (to see CoB). Will probably leave after CoB's set, still sucks that some of the money that I paid for my ticket will still go to those blindly pro-American dumbfucks.
And it's ironic and hypocritical that Jon Schaffer called Anders a rockstar.

Iced Earth I have much respect for...except for of course Jon Schaffer. I met him before and he was more or less an asshole. On the contrary, I managed to meet Anders on a number of ocassions and he was ultra cool to his fans and very respectful.

I don't know what happened during the tour, but I know Jon has a huge ego (if you don't believe me, check out the statement he issued after Barlow left) and Anders, well, seems to be humble to fans, so I dunno if he has one. But based on what I know, I'd have to take Anders' side on this little squabble. Just waiting for the Yngwie Schaffer response now :p

For the upcoming tour, I like Iced Earth's music too much to leave right after Bodom, but I'm hoping to meet those guys again after the show, whereas I can give a shit less if anybody from Iced Earth walked up to me, except for Richard Christy, who seems really cool. And Ripper's really cool too actually. I met him with Priest.

But I'm just waiting to hear what Schaffer's gonna do to Bodom. I half expect him to unplug Alexi's guitar mid solo.

Zac, offending people, having huge ego, and being an ass hole in general, isn't something to look up to. Schaffer is an arrogant idiot. There's nothing more to say...

They are just human beings no different then you and me and for us to sit here and make comments about what sucks this or racism that is kinda sad that we dont have anything better to do. Im not mouthing anyone here but they have to shit and piss and shower like the rest of us and they are not really that special. They make music we like and that pleases us but its like the whole movie star thing, these people really dont affect how we live persay but we give them all our money anyway. I love iced earth and I love Inflames they are two of my favorite bands but they are still just guys , no brighter or smarter then any of us. I dont really see racsim in Jons comments , hes being an asshole yes, but whatever and if Anders cant get over these comments from two years ago then he obviously is not a real mature person. It works both ways though. IM VERY PRO AMERICA but im not into bashing people who dont really deserve it, now the FRENCH thats a whole different story they are spoiled euro pussies. Just kidding, well actually no I dont like the french as a whole. But whatever , what they do in their country is their business. Im just trying to make a strong opinion and thats all ,that these are only two men they are not leaders or heroes, they write music. Music I love and enjoy but they will not save the world and will die like everyone else. Remember this is all just opinion. This is all jusst a big penis envy thing and theyll eventually get over it. :yell: (Jon shouldnt have been such an ass and Anders should get over it.) CASE AND POINT.

EVERLOSTINDEADETERNITY said:
They are just human beings no different then you and me and for us to sit here and make comments about what sucks this or racism that is kinda sad that we dont have anything better to do. Im not mouthing anyone here but they have to shit and piss and shower like the rest of us and they are not really that special. They make music we like and that pleases us but its like the whole movie star thing, these people really dont affect how we live persay but we give them all our money anyway. I love iced earth and I love Inflames they are two of my favorite bands but they are still just guys , no brighter or smarter then any of us. I dont really see racsim in Jons comments , hes being an asshole yes, but whatever and if Anders cant get over these comments from two years ago then he obviously is not a real mature person. It works both ways though. IM VERY PRO AMERICA but im not into bashing people who dont really deserve it, now the FRENCH thats a whole different story they are spoiled euro pussies. Just kidding, well actually no I dont like the french as a whole. But whatever , what they do in their country is their business. Im just trying to make a strong opinion and thats all ,that these are only two men they are not leaders or heroes, they write music. Music I love and enjoy but they will not save the world and will die like everyone else. Remember this is all just opinion. This is all jusst a big penis envy thing and theyll eventually get over it. :yell: (Jon shouldnt have been such an ass and Anders should get over it.) CASE AND POINT.
Check out the definition of racist.

I think Jons just really into America and if you dont openly support it on your sleeve then he takes it a little offensive, in a way its riduculous yes, but hes just very proud of his country . There is no shame in that just you dont have to be so DAMN IM AN AMERICAN SHOW YOUR SUPPORT OR GET OUT to InFlames because they are just touring here, now to the thousands of people who everyday come over here and take all our jobs and money and sit on there ass bashing AMERICANS , now those people I think Jon should be focusing more on, but its all a democrate , republican thing, different sides to the same battle. InFlames is touring here again so i think Anders should get over it because they are still gonna make a bunch of money and then go home. Now if your talking to me about the french thing and raacism then well I dont go around killing the French just as a country their leaders are kinda spineless unless they have someone with power to fall back on. I dont hate them, just wish theyd stand up for something. :Smug:

Yeah Jon is definitly into supporting American and he loves this country but one can take it too far. I love this place. But I dont have American flags hanging all over my house, and my mailbox isnt red white and blue and all that kinda junk.

One thing I dont agree on is the people coming over here. My fiancee is Mexican and she will be moving here in about a month....

No I wasnt meaning you with the French thing. I dont like how the French act either. They dont want to stand up but they want the benefits. Like Iraq. They were totally against action against Iraq. But they were one of the firt countries wanting to put in bids for rebuilding and getting some of that cash werent they?

I live in New mexico and I see more illegal aliens in one day then some epople see in their life and thats the one thing thats really bothers me, THEY DONT SPEAK ENGLSIH. I HAVE TO LEARN SPAINISH TO GO OVER THERE, BUT THEY DONT HAVE TO SPEAK ENGLSIH TO COME OVER HERE. In ten years spainish will be the number one language in AMERICA and i think thats bullshit, because I dont wanna learn spainish , not to live in my own damn country. Thats my only problem. At least Inflames speaks english, haha, I shutter at the day when they have to release an album in America that is sung in spainish. No offence to your Mexican girlfriend , im sure she speaks English and pays her bills and doesnt suck off the government. I hope anyway.I guess it doesnt matter anyway because once your married shell be a US citizen anyway. DOES SHE LIKE INFLAMES? I couldnt marry a girl that didnt! :headbang: