IN FLAMES vocalist Anders Fridén talks smack about Iced Earth idiot Jon Schaffer

Officer Friendly

Masshole
Mar 9, 2004
IN FLAMES vocalist Anders Fridén has slammed ICED EARTH mainman Jon Schaffer over comments Schaffer made during ICED EARTH's 2002 North American tour, which featured IN FLAMES in the support slot.

"I have fucking little love for a certain guy in that band," Anders Fridén told Sweden's premiere rock/metal magazine Close-Up for its March issue (view cover here), referring to Shaffer. "I'm not the kind of person who talks shit about people — but this isn't bullshit, for that matter — [or the kind of person to] expose someone [in the press]. We supported ICED EARTH in the U.S. and did amazing well. We got a really great response and [Jon] — the rest of the band were cool — was upset, I guess. It ended with him calling us 'spoiled European pussies,' saying that I was a fucking rock star and a lot of other things. I'm fucking far from being a rock star, so I didn't feel guilty, but it was weird how he could make us out to be 'spoiled European pussies.' There were lot of complaints [from Jon], and our part of the stage was getting smaller and smaller, even though we'd sold out some of the venues before on our own. I could barely stand by the mic stand, that's how tight it was between the drum set and me. Then [I had issues with some of] his statements, which are [very] pro-America, to say the least. He talked shit about Swedes and Europeans in front of us and the other support act JAG PANZER, whose drummer [Rikard Stjernquist] is of Swedish descent. The drummer said 'What are you saying? I'm half Swedish,' to which [Jon] responded, 'Yeah, but you've lived in America for a long time, so we're not talking about you.' I've gotten along with everyone we've toured with, and I didn't think it was [that bad], even though we had differences of opinion, but [Jon] is the only person on this planet that I can't stand."

Maybe Shaeffer got sick of the Euros talking politics after a bong rip or two. Most younger Euros are pretty anti American in their political views. Some people can take that shit pretty personally...especially if they have a buddy or two in the military. We don't know the full story anyways. I'm just playing devil's advocate and throwing out another possible scenario. Of course Shaefer simply being a fucktard for the sake of being a fucktard is a real possibility.

Steiner said:
Maybe Shaeffer got sick of the Euros talking politics

Maybe Schaffer got tired of being wrong and looking like a fuggin idiot.

Most younger Euros are pretty anti American in their political views.

Idiots like Jon Schaffer prolly dont know much about politics anyway.

Some people can take that shit pretty personally...especially if they have a buddy or two in the military.

I can see how blood wouldn't be personal.

We don't know the full story anyways. I'm just playing devil's advocate and throwing out another possible scenario.

The Romans didn't know the full story either but that didn't stop them from
sending Jesus to Golgotha.

Of course Shaefer simply being a fucktard for the sake of being a fucktard is a real possibility.

Also, it's the most likely scenario.

I read somewhere that Anders was a complete asshole when he approached Jon about the stage situation. Not that I think Jon was innocent, but I also think it takes two to fight like a couple of 12 year old girls.

For the record, Anders does have a rockstar attitude. The ego is growing as we speak!

MindInsane said:
I read somewhere that Anders was a complete asshole when he approached Jon about the stage situation. Not that I think Jon was innocent, but I also think it takes two to fight like a couple of 12 year old girls.

For the record, Anders does have a rockstar attitude. The ego is growing as we speak!

It takes 2 to tango, but there's always 3 sides to every story...what Anders
says, what Jon says and *WHAT*REALLY*HAPPPENED*.

Otherwise, if it's Anders European ego vs. Jon's midwestern warped American
ego....this looks like the precise outcome that should be expected.

As a logical person, I side with Anders because Jon's a fucktard and his music
sucks worse.

:D @ Officer Nice's latest post. I like your logic! :)

@ MindInsane: Um, I'm the last person you should be saying that to. I've probably given my two cents on every single thread that has even a speck of controversy in it. :confused:

@ Markgugs: Well, I've come to expect it, unfortunately, from Americans... how is that moronic, exactly? The only morons are the ignorant ppl like Schaffer who give America a bad name. I wasn't being completely serious anyhow, it's not like I said "every American is an asshole diedieideidiedeidieidie"... I should've put in a winking smily or something... if you think it's moronic I'd really like you to logically explain how so.

Edit: btw, here's what Jag Panzer's guitarist had to say about the whole incident. I learned this from the a thread on the CoB board.

"O.K., here's the story
"There had been limited stage room for us and IN FLAMES for several of the shows. Montreal was particularly bad so Anders decided to talk to Jon about it. It did not go well. Jon told him to take a hike (but not in those words). Matt told me that Anders approached Jon with an attitude. I wasn't in the room so I'm just relaying what I was told.

"The limited stage room didn't bother me. Of course I would have wanted more room, but we weren't the headliner so we just deal with things like that.

"One thing that I didn't care for is that Anders discussed the subject with us stating that both JAG PANZER and IN FLAMES should have more stage room. But he approached Jon and suggested that JAG PANZER remain with the limited stage but IN FLAMES get more room. I didn't think that was too cool. But it was no big deal either. Things like this happen on tour all the time."

MindInsane said:

All rock stars have a rock star attitude whether or not you see it.

Officer Friendly said:
Again with the "guh?"

I was making the same point with that analogy.
I was speechless. You broke my comments down line by line but then you lost me with those 2 particular jabs. In any event, we're turning this thread in a political direction despite the fact that the initial headline turned out to be about living accomadations.

Officer Friendly said:
All rock stars have a rock star attitude whether or not you see it.
That's not true at all..I know a couple who absolutely do not! You can be a rock star and also be real...this can and has been accomplished...you're just meeting the wrong people.

MindInsane said:
That's not true at all..I know a couple who absolutely do not! You can be a rock star and also be real...this can and has been accomplished...you're just meeting the wrong people.

Name them.