Anders Friden on Jon Schaffer

Iced In Flames

Shredderite
Jan 26, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
"IN FLAMES vocalist Anders Fridén has slammed ICED EARTH mainman Jon Schaffer over comments Schaffer made during ICED EARTH's 2002 North American tour, which featured IN FLAMES in the support slot.

"I have fucking little love for a certain guy in that band," Anders Fridén told Sweden's premiere rock/metal magazine Close-Up for its March issue (view cover here), referring to Shaffer. "I'm not the kind of person who talks shit about people — but this isn't bullshit, for that matter — [or the kind of person to] expose someone [in the press]. We supported ICED EARTH in the U.S. and did amazing well. We got a really great response and [Jon] — the rest of the band were cool — was upset, I guess. It ended with him calling us 'spoiled European pussies,' saying that I was a fucking rock star and a lot of other things. I'm fucking far from being a rock star, so I didn't feel guilty, but it was weird how he could make us out to be 'spoiled European pussies.' There were lot of complaints [from Jon], and our part of the stage was getting smaller and smaller, even though we'd sold out some of the venues before on our own. I could barely stand by the mic stand, that's how tight it was between the drum set and me. Then [I had issues with some of] his statements, which are [very] pro-America, to say the least. He talked shit about Swedes and Europeans in front of us and the other support act JAG PANZER, whose drummer [Rikard Stjernquist] is of Swedish descent. The drummer said 'What are you saying? I'm half Swedish,' to which [Jon] responded, 'Yeah, but you've lived in America for a long time, so we're not talking about you.' I've gotten along with everyone we've toured with, and I didn't think it was [that bad], even though we had differences of opinion, but [Jon] is the only person on this planet that I can't stand." "

Years ago, I was a real big Iced Earth fan and admired Schaffer's strength and leadership. After the last 2 weak albums, his raging ego, his growing pro-america stance (he's a friggin' moron in some aspects), he is just a conceited asshole. Iced Earth DID NOT sell out the NY IE/Bodom/Evergrey show, with them getting all the credit. I believe the reason for that is because Children of Bodom is on the tour.

Ok this is on the In Flames and Iced Earth sections here now. And now for my question. I would like someone in Panzer to confirm or disconfirm the comments that Jon made about people in other countries. I'd definitly like to hear from Rikard on this one. I know Jon can come off as a dick sometimes because he is so straightforward, but its downright disrespectful to talk about people like that and can even be considered racist.

Iced In Flames said:
"IN FLAMES vocalist Anders Fridén has slammed ICED EARTH mainman Jon Schaffer over comments Schaffer made during ICED EARTH's 2002 North American tour, which featured IN FLAMES in the support slot.

Vocalist?
That's quite an overstatement...

I know Anders a little.... and he's a really nice guy. I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about him.

As for Schaffer.... I've never heard anyone say anything good about him. I know lots of bands that have toured with Iced Earth and it seems strange that all of them think he's a pecker head.
:confused:

Iced In Flames said:
I know ya hate Anders for sayin this but come on bro....

The times I have spoken with Jon he has been increcibly resprectful.
So until Schaffer says something to directly piss me off I could care less what he has to say about others.

Well I'm sure Anders wouldnt mention Panzer and Rikard in particular if there wasnt something behind it. I would indeed like to hear from the guys in Panzer and particularly Jon say something about this. Didnt Jon fire Gene for being racist?

Mark has replied :

Writing to the message board of the German ICED EARTH fan site Iced-Earth.de, Briody said, "One minor clarification: Rikard is not 1/2 Swedish. He is fully Swedish. He was born in Stockholm, speaks Swedish and carries a Swedish passport.

"O.K., here's the story -

"There had been limited stage room for us and IN FLAMES for several of the shows. Montreal was particularly bad so Anders decided to talk to Jon about it. It did not go well. Jon told him to take a hike (but not in those words). [ICED EARTH vocalist at the time] Matt [Barlow] told me that Anders approached Jon with an attitude. I wasn't in the room so I'm just relaying what I was told.

"The limited stage room didn't bother me. Of course I would have wanted more room, but we weren't the headliner so we just deal with things like that.

"One thing that I didn't care for is that Anders discussed the subject with us stating that both JAG PANZER and IN FLAMES should have more stage room. But he approached Jon and suggested that JAG PANZER remain with the limited stage but IN FLAMES get more room. I didn't think that was too cool. But it was no big deal either. Things like this happen on tour all the time."
There are always two sides of a story... not that I want to support some weird words by Schaffer in recent interviews, but sometimes other people use his bad reputation to bash him even more.