Very Interesting...

metal17

May 21, 2002
North Bethesda, Maryland
Anders Friden on Jon Schaffer
"IN FLAMES vocalist Anders Fridén has slammed ICED EARTH mainman Jon Schaffer over comments Schaffer made during ICED EARTH's 2002 North American tour, which featured IN FLAMES in the support slot.

"I have fucking little love for a certain guy in that band," Anders Fridén told Sweden's premiere rock/metal magazine Close-Up for its March issue (view cover here), referring to Shaffer. "I'm not the kind of person who talks shit about people — but this isn't bullshit, for that matter — [or the kind of person to] expose someone [in the press]. We supported ICED EARTH in the U.S. and did amazing well. We got a really great response and [Jon] — the rest of the band were cool — was upset, I guess. It ended with him calling us 'spoiled European pussies,' saying that I was a fucking rock star and a lot of other things. I'm fucking far from being a rock star, so I didn't feel guilty, but it was weird how he could make us out to be 'spoiled European pussies.' There were lot of complaints [from Jon], and our part of the stage was getting smaller and smaller, even though we'd sold out some of the venues before on our own. I could barely stand by the mic stand, that's how tight it was between the drum set and me. Then [I had issues with some of] his statements, which are [very] pro-America, to say the least. He talked shit about Swedes and Europeans in front of us and the other support act JAG PANZER, whose drummer [Rikard Stjernquist] is of Swedish descent. The drummer said 'What are you saying? I'm half Swedish,' to which [Jon] responded, 'Yeah, but you've lived in America for a long time, so we're not talking about you.' I've gotten along with everyone we've toured with, and I didn't think it was [that bad], even though we had differences of opinion, but [Jon] is the only person on this planet that I can't stand." "

Years ago, I was a real big Iced Earth fan and admired Schaffer's strength and leadership. After the last 2 weak albums, his raging ego, his growing pro-america stance (he's a friggin' moron in some aspects), he is just a conceited asshole. Iced Earth DID NOT sell out the NY IE/Bodom/Evergrey show, with them getting all the credit. I believe the reason for that is because Children of Bodom is on the tour.

yeah, shaeffer is a fucking dick. i have very little respect for the man... which would be different if his music were worth a shit. however, it is not... sad, because i used to be a big fan of the band. now they are just bland, un-original power/thrash. they are in that growing category of bands that i "used to like, but then realized they were shit". bands such as children of bodom, evergrey, the haunted, primal fear, most power metal bands, etc etc

BWD said:
yeah, shaeffer is a fucking dick. i have very little respect for the man... which would be different if his music were worth a shit. however, it is not... sad, because i used to be a big fan of the band. now they are just bland, un-original power/thrash. they are in that growing category of bands that i "used to like, but then realized they were shit". bands such as children of bodom, evergrey, the haunted, primal fear, most power metal bands, etc etc
wow, this guy is sooooo smart!!! even though he is occasionally too lazy to log in...

~metal_maiden~ said:
Mr. Pro-America's gotta watch his mouth on this tour. He better not mess with CoB, that's all I have to say.
schaeffers a dick and im by no means on his side but i give him full respect for calling anders a rockstar that fucking sell out
and for the record if schaffer ever fought alexi he would knock this shit outta of him
alexi is very talented but is drunk all the time and looks like a girl
now janni henka rupe or jasper would give schaffer a run for his money hahahahahaha

* Phasom looks at the thread about Anders talking shit about Schaffer
<Phasom> hmm.......both of them can fuck off and die
<NdX> I concur
<Phasom> and then I would piss on their corpses
<Phasom> egotistical pricks

If I ever go to an Iced Earth concert, I want to go up to Scaffer afterwards and say:

"Hey! (if applicable) Good Show! (/if applicable). You know one thing I learned over the years... Iced Earth is like marajuana... its a gateway drug to great drugs... however, when you find those great drugs: You look back and laugh at how pitful that marajuana is."

And then I'd run like mad fuck because he probobly has some "USA" moulded cattle brand in the back of his bus that he uses on people like me if he can catch them.

I was a huge fan of the older IE albums, but now Jon's gone nuts. His ego has gotten way to big. And it's showing in his music (same reason I lost respect for Megadeth, Mustaine's a primadona ass too). Horror Show was meh and I haven't even gotten the new one yet cuz I just don't care that much. I'd like to hear Ripper and that's it. That's also the only reason I plan on going to the concert, to hear Ripper. But I pretty much couldn't give a shit about IE anymore. There are better bands to care about.

metalskater7 said:
schaeffers a dick and im by no means on his side but i give him full respect for calling anders a rockstar that fucking sell out
and for the record if schaffer ever fought alexi he would knock this shit outta of him
alexi is very talented but is drunk all the time and looks like a girl
now janni henka rupe or jasper would give schaffer a run for his money hahahahahaha

Hey, Alexi is always ready for a fight. He can kick Schaffer's ass any day of the week! And if a fight does breakout between these two bands, which I really hope won't happen, I'll be supporting CoB 100%! But then again, it's basically Jon Schaffer vs. every band there is. :rolleyes:

I am pissed at Jon for these comments, but don't you Europeons say stupid shit like, "He is american, it´s all!", or some other shit like that. He might be American, but he does not speak for us all. Get it straight.

Gotta love the anti-american pricks. They're just as bad as the blind patriots we have here. When will you realize that one cocky asshole in the media does not respresent the rest of the country?

But anyway, I posted my thoughts on this in a few threads around UM. But I'm half expecting Jon to unplug Alexi's guitar mid-solo.

Got this from the Burnt Offerings Iced Earth board...Mark Briody from Jag Panzer explains what went on

"Below is a note that I posed on another site that explains what happened.

Once minor clarification. Rikard is not 1/2 Swedish. He is fully Swedish. He was born in Stockholm, speaks Swedish and carries a Swedish passport.

O.k., here's the story -

There had been limited stage room for us and In Flames for several of the shows. Montreal was particularly bad so Anders decided to talk to Jon about it. It did not go well. Jon told him to take a hike (but not in those words). Matt told me that Anders approached Jon with an attitude. I wasn't in the room so I'm just relaying what I was told.

The limited stage room didn't bother me. Of course I would have wanted more room, but we weren't the headliner so we just deal with things like that.

One thing that I didn't care for is that Anders discussed the subject with us stating that both Jag Panzer and In Flames should have more stage room. But he approached Jon and suggested that Jag Panzer remain with the limited stage but In Flames get more room. I didn't think that was too cool. But it was no big deal either. Things like this happen on tour all the time.

Mark"

some_dude said:
Got this from the Burnt Offerings Iced Earth board...Mark Briody from Jag Panzer explains what went on

"Below is a note that I posed on another site that explains what happened.

Once minor clarification. Rikard is not 1/2 Swedish. He is fully Swedish. He was born in Stockholm, speaks Swedish and carries a Swedish passport.

O.k., here's the story -

There had been limited stage room for us and In Flames for several of the shows. Montreal was particularly bad so Anders decided to talk to Jon about it. It did not go well. Jon told him to take a hike (but not in those words). Matt told me that Anders approached Jon with an attitude. I wasn't in the room so I'm just relaying what I was told.

The limited stage room didn't bother me. Of course I would have wanted more room, but we weren't the headliner so we just deal with things like that.

One thing that I didn't care for is that Anders discussed the subject with us stating that both Jag Panzer and In Flames should have more stage room. But he approached Jon and suggested that Jag Panzer remain with the limited stage but In Flames get more room. I didn't think that was too cool. But it was no big deal either. Things like this happen on tour all the time.

Mark"
yeh...of course jag panzer and iced earth are label-mates....AND if he said anything bad about them it would have been deleted from the forum in about 15 seconds...so....yeh...and how would it work that only in flames gets more room? if the shit is on the stage already then its on the stage...i dont believe this guy. he had to choose a side so he chose iced earth.
-neal