Anders Friden Voice (Changing and Technique)

Devilicus said:
How so? Do you sound like Fred Durst trying to growl?
According to them, I'm whispering, but I thought an exaggerated sighing technique was the proper technique. I've nearly roached my throat over the past few days trying it any other way.

anonymousnick2001 said:
According to them, I'm whispering, but I thought an exaggerated sighing technique was the proper technique. I've nearly roached my throat over the past few days trying it any other way.

I think this is just one particular technique for singing. If your technique sounds good without you damaging your throat, then why change? Most of the truly original artists out there are the people who've had no tuition in anything. Without being molded towards a preset idea of how to do things, we come up with new and different ways of doing them.

Hints and tips on 'how to growl' are are a new phenomena. Up until recently, most vocalists have just fucking gone for it with no aid and have found their way. I'm sure you'll be fine.

But you should err on the side of caution with harsher styles. There was a riot here about 8 years ago when Fear Factory had to cancel a show because Burton had ripped the shit out of his vocal chords. I think it was because the harsher style that he was using at the time (Demanufacture) was placing too much stress on his throat, rather than projecting from his diaphragm.

I tried the vocal tips, and the one thing I found that it helped was just in terms of warming up. Sometimes in the past if I went in too hard and fast from the start I fucked my throat quickly, and my clean vox suffered. Now I don't have that problem, and I find the transition between clean/harsh smoother.

stefan86 said:
well, someone has to do Durst when Anders does Jonathan Davis.

Ah shit, NO! That's horrible! Actually now you mention it, I think Soilwork could be the Limp Bizkit of the Swedish scene... If Bjorn Strid gets a red Yankees cap and a lobotomy. Ugh...

Anders had a very good growl before..then on clayman and r2r it was realy awfull...it was semi-growls..and now on stye it is back to a good growl...not a great growl but a good one. He is trying some things and he saw that little growls like r2r didint work out ( even if he always sings like that in his shows : / ). Never the less..every member is essential...take out any mamber of in flames and it would never be the same..cause at the stage they are..in flames became a family and in flames is the 5 guys we see..not another guy that sings better then anders...this is in flames..they cant change someone cause they know that it would be impossible to work out things with the new guys as well as the older one...

I strongly believe you guys are wrong about Anders and his screaming capabilities...

I'll admit that Anders does have the GREATEST singing voice... but his voice is still pretty good(Stanne's is better of course)

Now about his growls and screams... Yes Anders has grown some with his vocals and his experimentation with his voice... but its not like "oh hes screaming like a lil girl now... he cant possibly growl anymore"

the guy did it for many years its not like he cant do it anymore(for example he was growling in the live version of F(r)iend... not a recording and having it adjusted so that it sounds like he is) He has a pretty good range from death metal growls to higher pitched screams... and he can do it quite well... not alot of people can do that and actually have it sound good

now whats really sad is how you guys come on here b*tch and complain about Anders... u keep blaming him for in flames' new direction and so on... no one ever thinks that its the BANDS decision not just his... they're playing the way they want to....

its pretty funny to see all this b*tching and complaining on a internet forum... cause its pretty pathedic... spending all yer time on here... complaining and complaining... thats why this forum isnt what it use to be.. cause no one cares about your complaining anymore... another reason why the official forum was shut down

While I totally agree with you, what you're saying has been said many times, and it's getting just as old as the bitching (or b*tching if you prefer). It reaches a stage where 50% of the people on the board are complaining about the band's direction, and the other 50% are complaining about the first 50%.

In conclusion, we all suck. Welcome to reality!

egonomic666, anders=shit? you dont even know the guy you stupid fuck......I bet your just some punk 15 year old who hides behind his computer insulting people, you are the one who's shit dude. get a life fucker

I think Anders is decent enough doing his half-growling stuff a la Whoracle and Colony, but he can't sing clean. It's kinda hard to kick out a funding member, but I say bjorn and jesper should ditch him if they want to continue in their musical direction.

anders best album was whoracle! it was not as deep and heavy than on jester race and skydancer but he was still very present and not yet annoying! that's my opinion.. whoracle rules!!!
btw, SHADOW DUET IS THE BEST SONG EVER... sundin's lyrics sang by friden and stanne together :headbang: :headbang: ! (even though skydancer production is horrible)

I really like Anders' vocals on the track 'Only For the Weak.' There's just something about them there that I really like. It was the first In Flames song I heard and what really drew me into it was the vocals.

Yep. I've heard these songs later in live versions, where he's fixed the pronounciation, and it doesn't sound as cool. I know it pisses some people off, but I love the accents. Especially female vocalists, like Tarja Turanen of Nightwish. :D