Anders live...what the fuck happened?

I would enter for old school death metal The Red In The Sky Is Ours.
And yes, it is an old school death metal album. It's also melodic death metal.

Another entry: Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream.

If you've heard these albums I don't need to explain myself and if you haven't there's no point.

If you've heard these albums I don't need to explain myself and if you haven't there's no point.

The red in the sky is ours is awesome, the morbid, sick, depressive riffs combinated with the dramatic vocals sound sweet!

Yeah i've heard Like an ever flowing stream, it's quite good but i've heard enough old school death metal for now, lately i've been looking for ''special'' death metal albums/songs instead of the typical old school stuff. I love the intro of the song ''Dismembered''.

Yeah.
My main problem with Ever Flowing Stream is that the drumming is undeniably crap.

For really good death metal Eucharist are worth a go.

I've heard something realy SICK today! check the Incantation ep by Grotesque out, sick death metal with thomas lindeberg as vocalist, formed in 1988, disbanned in the early 90's. His vocals realy stand out, his random growls sound unhealthy for sure!

ops forgot "LAEFS" fuckin good.:kickass:

Death metal fans should check Edge of sanity's Purgatory afterglow out, it's catchy death metal; melodic, sometimes beautiful riffs, great headbangble killer riffs, great vocals with some cleans.

So my theory as to why this has happened? I think the most probable, is that Anders voice is just shredded, in which case it's not really his fault. He's been growling and screaming for around 15 years now. I don't know of any vocalists that have been able to keep their voice from changing over that long a period of time.

I guess you should listen more to Opeth then, Mikael åkerfeltd's just became better as his career progressed.

I dont want to be cynical but in flames are really quite dead for me. Their last two albums have been horrid and ander's voice is faltering as well. Although they still are a good live band, i'm going to see them in the end of this month which will be my third time seeing them.

Anders without a beard but with dreads:

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess you should listen more to Opeth then, Mikael åkerfeltd's just became better as his career progressed.

I dont want to be cynical but in flames are really quite dead for me. Their last two albums have been horrid and ander's voice is faltering as well. Although they still are a good live band, i'm going to see them in the end of this month which will be my third time seeing them.

åkerfeltd uses a technique for the majority of his growls, which are very low and lack the emotional intensity of Anders old vocals and even vocalists like Stanne. I have been to a couple of concerts where åkerfeltd's voice has faltered, also, so he's not infallible, though he's taken better care of his pipes than Anders.

Bah, those videos in the start of this thread didn't say me anything. Saw them live at Nummirock festival (Finland) and they were awesome.

I first saw In Flames live in 2002. They did a tour with Iced Earth and Jag Panzer. Fast forward 6 years, and we have them playing with All That Remains in 2008. Happily Gojira is also on this tour, although they certainly don't fit the rest of the bill (The only REAL Metal on this tour? You lot are going to eat me alive, aren't you! :)).

Now, we all know that In Flames' studio material has changed dramatically over the years. Well, Anders' live singing has changed just as dramatically. His clean singing is (has always been) whiny and (DARE I SAY IT?!?) sounds very emo(tional?). Even his screams and clean/scream transitions sound particularly whiny. Growls? What growls? Does In Flames really use guttural growls anymore? Anders speaking voice also sounds terrible, it's like he's cracking... the poor guy has almost certainly done some damage to himself, and needs to take a rest or seek professional treatment. There has been a noticeable deterioration here.

Perhaps In Flames is my guilty pleasure; although the band (with the exception of Bjorn, and Jesper at times) looked bored on stage, they sounded great and I enjoyed their set. "Pop" hits like Cloud Connected and Come Clarity, while newer and thus automatically shitty (right?), get me every time in a live concert environment. These songs sound good with Ander's high pitched and expressive voice, and really soar. Older material just gets mangled by the new 'style' of singing being implemented. Jester Race is my favorite album from this band, and I've accepted that I'll never 'properly' hear anything from that album performed live.

The crowd of people going nuts for Anders and all of this 'new' In Flames material (there was noticeably less reaction to classics like The Hive, or the Jester Race "Medley") speaks volumes in and of itself. At the front of the stage I was surrounded by lots and lots of very young looking teenagers, and saw very few hands without "X"s up. The bar area was fairly sparse. A lot of -core kids and 'new metal fans' at the show here. There's nothing wrong with that. It just illustrates, in a nice, compelling, and admittedly anecdotal fashion, the demographic which currently associates with this music. Made me feel very old (and I'm not old).

Is Anders a worse singer than he was before? In Flames isn't producing Melodic Death Metal anymore. Their target audience (and their real-world fanbase) is different. A lot of people still truly enjoy their music. Some of it is still good enough to warrant paying for a ticket (In any case, Gojira warrants paying for a ticket).

I guess to summarize I gotta say that the people at the In Flames show, certainly weren't at the At The Gates reunion show. They've never heard At The Gates, and they don't understand the context of older In Flames material either. The legacy of In Flames seems to be largely irrelevant to their current performances and production, but does it really matter? Things change, but as long as you still enjoy what you hear for the most part, who cares?

And Anders, in his Atticus T-shirt, well, fuck him, I went to see Gojira anyways! :D