Anders Friden

Corrupted

Registered Bad Guy!
Oct 15, 2001
Dublin, Ireland.
Visit site
What do you all think of Anders Fidens vocals on "Of Chaos..."? And, vice versa, do you like Stannes vocals on In Flames' debut "Lunar Strain"? Personally I've always prefered Mikael Stanne's voice.

Corrupted

:)

Yep, Of Chaos and Eternal Night was the first DT release, where Mikael sang (or screamed/growled) all the vocals. And he was rabidly improving his skill at that - on Lunar Strain he was still rather monotonous (although still strong), but from The Gallery on his expression has been incredible.

Anders, on the other hand, has been rather mediocre all through his career. On Skydancer he was still rather weak (and the lyrics were too fast for him so sing properly), but from The Jester Race on he has been okay - not too bad, but not very good either, IMHO.

-Villain

Well i personnaly like the STanne vocals most, i dunno since SHadow Duet on the skydancer album i think its great.. but he has develped his voice throughout the years and now hes one of my favorite singers of all time, his vocals are so emotional, i mean in projector he transmits you a lot of things, and he has developed his growling as well, on haven it sound so refined..

i like ghim on the In flames Lunar Strain album (i still say it hes the one to sing behind space is just the best version of the song)

But anders friedenis a good growler too, i think he was fine on SkyDancer but he developed his voice too, and although now sounds like Daffy duck at times, the sound fits perfectly for the music, i think whoracle, and Colony are theyre best albums (i didnt like Clayman that much,) and his vocals are really memorable there.

* Talking about In Flames dont you think that the chorus line of Pinball Map is cheesy?? i mean it sounds like a pop voice line.

About Pinball Map, i agree with you. I thougt the chorus on pinball map was kinda cheesy from the first time I heard it. I do like the rest of the album though. No one else seem to fin the Pinball map chorus cheesy though....strange.

well I would rather take those In Flames whatever out the board 'cause I'm really tired to have them as headliners when DT comes to town...argh!!!!! (even yeap, I like their stuff, but I'm fed up of them)
but as for Skydancers....hehehhee just listen Shadow Duet and see who kicks ass who ;P
c ya

Originally posted by ExiledWell i personnaly like the STanne vocals most, i dunno since SHadow Duet on the skydancer album i think its great.. but he has develped his voice throughout the years and now hes one of my favorite singers of all time, his vocals are so emotional,

I completely agree!!
Generally I prefer Stanne's vocals to Friden's...Friden's vocals are a bit hmmm average,nothing special about them...
and I've grown tired of In Flames...don't even like their two latest works....

Well i yeah Stanne rules... i like in flams a lot too, and i think Clayman is a good album, i say it is theyre poorest one but what the heck, and as for Colony i think it is the best In flames album, (i personnally think that Lunar strain is theyre greatest, but i dont count it as an In Flames album so).

Frieden is ok, i say, But Stanne´s vocals are Awesome, and besides hes one heck of a guy.... if you dont agree with me wait till you meet him personally.:loco:

Originally posted by Enticer
About Pinball Map, i agree with you. I thougt the chorus on pinball map was kinda cheesy from the first time I heard it. I do like the rest of the album though. No one else seem to fin the Pinball map chorus cheesy though....strange.

I do - I find the whole song cheesy. Pinball Map is easily the worst IF song ever and Clayman is definitely their worst album. I still liked Colony quite a lot, although it was mainly a Whoracle part II, but this Clayman-sheisse is too bad.

-Villain

Originally posted by Tranquillity
Dear friend......
On "Of chaos ....."Mikael Stanne was the singer and not Friden.
Friden was singing on the fisrt 2 demos(trail....,moonclad) and on the "skydancer".
Apollon

Whoops! Thats what 17 hours in work, staring at a VDU does to ya then!! Sorry, I meant to say Skydancer. I have had arguments like this before and I'll say every time that Anders Friden can come nowhere near MS when it comes to vocals(delivery, emotion etc). Sleep, Sleep, I need sleep!!

Corrupted
:loco:

Stanne is way better than Friden (which isn't much). Friden is really poor on their later works. IMO both In Flames and Dark Tranquillity made their best efforts with each others singers (not because of that fact but they just did).

I would have to say that Stanne has always blown Friden away when it comes vocals, although I like Fridens quite a bit. Stanne is definitely one of my favorite vocalists (up there with Shagrath). However I think that both of there vocals are considerably worse on their latest releases.

all right, I see that we all agree on the fact that Stanne is a better vocalist on ALL fields. but I'd like to point out one thing: how Friden manages to destroy one of the best album of melodic death metal, that is The Jester Race : the music there is simply majestic, but Friden is almost breathless, he can't scream anymore towards the end of the album: listen to the "chorus" on December Flower ! incredible! I think the guys in In Flames were tired of changing singer on every release so they kept him! :D On the other hand, I must say that Stanne's performance on The Gallery is my fave "screaming" of all time!

In Flames died to me after Whoracle. the last 2 cd's of their's are just plain average. Listen to the jester race,then listen to clayman, I cry at the thought of their new cd.

In Flames may be my fav band, but the other day I was thinking about building a band of my fav artists, I hands down picked Stanne because every range he does with brilliance, very deep growls, amazing clean vox, brooding, death. He does it all It was actually a close race between Stanne and Vintersorg, I love Vintersorgs clean vox, very majestic, his death aint half bad either.
In case interested I picked...

Vox - Stanne
Rhythm Guitar - Jesper Stromblad
Lead Guitar - Alexi Laiho:headbang:
Drums - Henry Ranta :headbang:
Keyboards - Janne Warmen
Bass - I cannot think of one...grr....

prefer Simen exBorknagar...
but the "best" band is so difficult to get...
If it was just musically skilled I think there's no much option for me...
Vox: Michael Kiske (I know, he doesn't growl, but he DOES know how to sing)
and then quite easy to me....
Guitar: John Petrucci
Bass: John Myung
Drums: Mike Portnoy
Keyboards: Jordan Rudess

they're the absolute musicians with no doubt...and hey Dream Theater is not as great a Dark Tranquillity to me, but I accept their staff is the best when "skills" are the issue...

as for emotional band???? damn that would really be hard to choose.... may be would be a two vocalist band....
vox: stanne / kursch
guitar: sundin/amott...or petrucci aswell ;P
bass: simen
drums:portnoy
keyboards: janne or rudess
but that's too hard for me

Well i agree dream theatre is a band with very skillfull musicians, but they dont trascend to me, so i would put my dream band like this...

-Non death band-

Vocals - Freddie mercury, Hansi kursch, Mathew barlow, or michael kiske asswell..

Rythm guuitar- Thats easy, Jhon Shaffer (iced earth) or K.K downing ()judas priest.

Lead guitar- Glenn tipton (judas priest) Andre olbrich (blind guardian), Michael Romeo (symphony X)

Bass - Joey demaio (manowar)

Drums, Thomas stauch (blind guardian) Uli kush (helloween)

Keyboards - Jordan Roadhes, Michael pinella (symhpny x)

-Death band-

Vocals - Mikael Stanne, Tannelli Jarva (Sentenced) Jeff walker (carcass) Shagrath (Dimmu borgir), Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth).

Rythm guitar - frederic Johanson, also Jhon Shaffer (His riffs are just to damn good) Christos (On thorns i lay), Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth).

Lead Guitar - Niklas Sundin, Mika Tenkula (Sentenced), Mikael Akerfeldt (opeth, yes i know i love this guy HEHE:D ), Dave Zuzuki (Vital Remains, his acustic leads are great), And of course Chuck "GOD" Shouldner (Death).

Bass - Martin Henriksson, also Jeff Walker (Carcass).

Drums - (Thats easy) Richard christy (Death), Tjodaly (Dimmu Borgir), and the guy from aT the gates (i cant remember his name sorry).

Of course im letting a lot of people out, an i know that if i keep thinking i could make a thousand bands like these ones so, youll understand me...

well thats my 2 cents ... keep on :headbang:

Not long ago i posted my idea of a dream band that no mortal should be alowed to look upon...but it wasnt very accepted cause people seem to think so many people could never get along i think they could cause its like a coral group but well here it goes again

Guitar 1 - Chuck Schuldiner ( Death...you should know that )
Guitar 2 - Mikael Åkerfeldt ( the O band...)
Guitar 3 ( yes 3 guitars ) - Niklas Sundin
Bass - Sean Malone ( Cynic, Gordian Knot, Aghora as guest )
Drums - Richard Christy ( Death, Burning Iside, many more )
Male Clean Vocals - Mikale Stanne
Male Low Growls - Mikael Åkerfeldt or the guy from gorefest
High Screams vocals - Chuck Schuldiner or John Tardy ( Obituary )
Female Low Vocals - Stefanie Duchêne ( Flowing Tears )
Mid and high Female vocals - Cristina Scabbia ( Lacuna Coil )

Would be a damn interesting band but i dunno what would it sound like since the 3 guitar players and the bass player are all amazing composers...

Playing death, thrash or death/thrash, perhaps throw in progressive:

Rhythm guitar: Eric Peterson
Rhythm & lead guitar: Chuck Schuldiner (no doubts here)
Lead guitar: James Murphy (not sure about this choice but I'll put it here still though)
Bass: Steve DiGiorgio (no doubts here either)
Drums: Gene Hoglan (same as above)
Vocals: Mikael Åkerfeldt, Chuck Schuldiner or Chuck Billy (if clean ones are necessary, then Chuck Billy or Åkerfeldt)

Playing power metal:

Lead & Rhythm guitar: Kai Hansen (does most of the stuff=
Lead & Rhythm guitar: Michael Weikath
Bass: Markus Grosskopf
Drums: Mike Portnoy or Thomas Stauch
Vocals: Michael Kiske