Dark Tranquillity trivia

I just looked at HammerFall - Glory to the Brave booklet and I don't see any songs for wich Stanne or Sundin have been given credit.
Its funny to know that Jesper Stromblad is playing.... drums on that album though.

Mel, u mean u didn't appreciate the mightiest "The way of the warrior"? :p:p

Alfred (just because there are ladies, though :p)

ok, i own both ther first and their second, and i've got mp3s of their latest. :cry: they're not bad as such. just... worse, but funny. ;)

rahvin. (taken away screaming i swear i'm not into power metal, i swear!)

Well, about the first Hammerfall album, it was a parallel project with Jesper Stromblad, that's true. And it was called "Glory To The Brave". Despite I don't like the Joacim Cans vocals, that was a decent album.

I heard several times that the project started from Dark Tranquillity, concretely from Stanne and Sundin, making Stanne the lead vocals. Dunno exactly if that's completely true, but maybe Hedon can help us.

About Hammerfall, I think it's a band to forget. The second album (Legacy of Kings), is absolutely awful, and then I stopped listening to them.

|ng.

Actually, if memory serves, Jesper didn't play drums on that album, even though he's credited in the booklet. I'm pretty sure the other guy who's pictured in that booklet as "special thanks to..." or something actually played drums on the album.

Legacy of Kings awful? I love that album :) What's with the anti-power metal movement here? Frankly, after so many years of listening to Death and Black metal it's nice to put something on that you can smile while listening to.

@Kovenant84: Hey, it's all good, man ;) . You wouldn't happen to be going to see Immortal and MANOWAR this Friday at Lamour, are you? That's gonna be one of the most diverse crowds ever :D

what??? Immortal and Manowar play on the same gig????
hahahahahaha I was right, manowar are the grandfathers of black metal :lol:

fathervic (couldn't resist)

Originally posted by |ngenius
I heard several times that the project started from Dark Tranquillity, concretely from Stanne and Sundin, making Stanne the lead vocals. Dunno exactly if that's completely true, but maybe Hedon can help us.
From the HF history, on their site:

"After quitting the death metal act Ceremonial Oath in 1993, guitarist Oscar Dronjak formed HammerFall and soon asked Jesper Strömblad to join him. Since this idea had been existing in Oscar's for a while, the name, general direction and some music (such as the song "Steel Meets Steel") were already there. Jesper and Oscar decided that HammerFall had to be forwarded on a project level, since both wanted to keep on with their other, freshly started, bands, In Flames and Crystal Age respectively. They enlisted the help of fellow metallers Niklas Sundin (guitar) and Mikael Stanne (vocals) of Dark Tranquillity, and Johan Larsson (bass guitar [...] The aim was to get together a couple of times each year, rehearsing to particitpate in a local music competition called "Rockslaget". Time went on, and Niklas and Johan were replaced by Glenn Ljungström (In Flames) and Fredrik Larsson (Crystal Age). [...] Fast forward to 1996. For the first time, HammerFall advanced to the semi-finals of "Rockslaget" with "Steel Meets Steel" , "Unchained" and the Judas Priest anthem "Breaking The Law". Amidst the celebration, it was discovered that vocalist Mikael was going to be unavailable at the time of the semi-finals. Hence, a new singer had to be brought in for this gig."

So end the involvement of any dt member in HF history. Note that this is quite some time before even their debut album was released.

Alfred (we are the prey and culture is the predator)

It was a pretty good show. Immortal was the supporting act along with havoc-hate and.....some other band. Immortal played only their new shit, which I really don't know all that much. Manowar.....kills! :) What else can you say about them.

I gather that Immortal only played the new stuff b/c Abbath was playing guitar. When did he switch? I could have sworn he was still playing bass when I saw them 2 years ago...