Why do so many people hate Anders Friden?

I have no idea how somebody could hate Friden. His vocals are usually great and as somebody said earlier in this thread,he is an excellent songwriter. (I even like those clean vocals, the pre-chorus in watch them feed does sound weird though =)

And I think that Anders and Mikael can't really be compared properly, they sing in a such different ways. Anders growls with some shouting and Mikael growls softly. (Just a little example, they differ in so many different ways)
And if someone whines about In Flames turning into nu-metal, listen to Watch Them Feed...

-Xzar

Has anybody else ever realized how Anders and Mikael changed their vocal styles at more or less the same exact time? On Lunar Strain up to the Mind's I, Stanne had a high, almost black metal like scream, while on Skydancer up to Whoracle, Frieden had a rather deep, regular death metal growl. But on Projector, Mikael's growls got a lot deeper, while on Colony, Anders vocals got a lot higher. And on Clayman and RTR, Anders got higher and higher, while on Haven and Damage Done, Stanne got lower and lower. I have no idea what this really means, but I just thought it was kind of interesting.

Onyx said:
I wonder why they've called Anders to do that...

:devil: maybe we'll find out for sure after they play their HOB gig in NOLA? :D :D :D

that place is THE party town U.S.A. and hedonism there is mandatory, so it had better be stretched to its limits on the 10th or...or.... he/they beeez the ultimate wusses!

Reactions: Arch
For me i cant really say who i like better between Stanne and Fride, they have two completely different approaches to their vocal styles. Anders never growls with the same vocal style on two album, and id say TJR and Whoracle was the most fitting for the music style but i think that style would have sounded 'out of place' with the musical arrangements on RtR...

Im pretty sure of one thing though, the production of RtR doesnt do Anders any justice, especially if you have seen or heard any live performance from RtR. Its really obvious that the album is heavilly overproduced...

Now lets stop hating people, except the Burzum guy..hes horrible :lol: j/k

I think he's great. The clean vocals... hmmm... yeah, I mean... you know... but whatever, his whole vocal range fits the music most of the time. They even make is work on Land of Confusion somehow (well, to an extent). Not sure about the attitutde - he seems reasonable enough in interviews. And thank God he doesn't have the macho attitude that would have him scream "How the fuck you're doing!!?" while shadowboxing on the stage between every song. That's really annoying. I appreciate the fact that he does not "look metal." It's one of those cliche obsessions with image management that's all the more annoying because it's not a paritcularly interesting image to begin with. You have to be an individual, not a mannequin. Anyone who's trying to look different, as gratuitous as it may be, is okay with me.

And his lyrics are among the best in the genre:

"Us defined is too fragile to neglect."
"I cannot frame, that's why I lose control."
"Wring the rag for the last few drops falling into infinity."
"I've tried confidence, had it for breakfast today."
"Splinters of a poem, fragments of what you used to be."
"You told me someone stole the eye - I know him too."
"Egoism dictates human relaitons in a world where fashion outshines morality."
"I see beauty in dead flowers, I let the tide tell me what's next, but all you do is fade away."
"Infiltrate my neverland like the floodtide drowning the shore."

Pure fucking genius.

i dont see what the fuss is about mikaels clean vocals, i like him as a growler but his singing is too airy, its like hes trying too hard on the cds, IMO the best clean vocalist is mikael akerfeldt. and personally i enjoy anders screaming, but hes just a bad clean vocalist, anders best vocals are on colony.