Why do so many people hate Anders Friden?

rahvin said:
i also think this is not their objective. to my knowledge, nu metal elements popped up in r2r because they thought they sounded good and were an interesting change in direction.
however, i must say this idea is pretty fucked up anyway. they should have seen where all of this would lead and they should have focused on some peculiar set of sounds in order to avoid being put in connection with the "real" nu metal bands, if they wanted to keep their previous fanbase. everybody thinks about these things when making music, so please don't tell me they live on an island where doing "only what was in their heart" was an option, since i guess noone does. they tried a formula, the label said ok. i think it wasn't a very good formula, especially since they don't sell as much as mudvayne.
if they're happy, kudos to them. but i'm not, and hooray for me too. ;)

rahvin.
I specifically asked Peter if he listened to any of the nu-metal that's over here in the states. And he said they don't categorize different types of metal. They just listen to what they like regardless of what it is. So basically, I'm saying that I don't think they are trying to fit into a certain genre of metal, I just didn't get that mindset from them.

But I don't really understand the idea where people associate a certain type of sound with more record sales. I mean I know where everyone is coming from, but the whole concept that bands need to completely stay away from a certain area seems close minded to me. It seems like writing an album anymore involves what group of people you want to sell to, as if bands are supposed to sell to a particular type of audience. You can look at it as selling out either way. They can keep there sound rigid as what it was before so that only metal elitists will buy it. Or you can do whatever you want to do, and write music for yourself. And if people happen to buy it, wonderful. I mean considering how many people dislike R2R, it's almost like they went in the direction of going less commercial. In my opinion, when you write music with other peoples expectations in mind, that's when people start to sell out, regardless of what people they are considering when they are deciding who to appeal to. Either way, it comes out as trying to sell out to a specific audience. It all seems very image based. When I buy an album, I kind of try to pretend no one has or ever will hear of it. And that kind of forces me to listen to it for musical and lyrical content only, regardless of what everyone else labels it as. If I like the music and lyrics great. If not, then I stay away from that band. It's not to say that the music "sucks" but I just don't get anything out of it.

Anyway, I probably repeated myself a bunch of times there and when a little off the topic, so sorry about my rambling.

Dark_Jester: I must admit your wonderful sense of humour. You deserve your nickname, surely you do.

zodi: you reminded me an expression from somewhere in Fallout 2 - "Opinions are like assholes: everybody's got them, and they all stink". That's not my point of view, actuallt, but the phrase is pretty funny itself. For me, anyway. The sense of humour is personal for everybody.

NovemberFrost: you are in some way correct. Friden didn't sound good in DT, but he DOES sound fine in InFlames. Perhaps, he found himself a more suitable position.

emjayhaych: your words do make sense. I don't know why you've been persecuted.

Tebus said:
I really don't think they're jumping on any bandwagons. They definitely aren't selling NEAR as many albums as any nu metal bands. Bjorn mentioned how Mudvayne sold 4 times as many albums in America alone then In Flames did worldwide on there newest releases. By talking to them, I'm pretty damn sure there not changing there sound to make money. They only do what they think sounds good, regardless of what other people think of it. Obviously I can't be 100% sure of that, but that's certainly what I felt.

2 things

a) Try reading what i said next time, i said whenever or not they did it for money, they still followed a recognizable trend. Maybe its because they are just tasteless assholes who cant write descent metal anymore and think that crap is appealing ( at least to them ) and it has nothing to do with money entirely.

b) So fucking what? The only thing those numbers how is that they are not making any money, they do not saywhenever or not they did tried to make money, but failed miserably.

Misanthrope said:
2 things

a) Try reading what i said next time, i said whenever or not they did it for money, they still followed a recognizable trend. Maybe its because they are just tasteless assholes who cant write descent metal anymore and think that crap is appealing ( at least to them ) and it has nothing to do with money entirely.

b) So fucking what? The only thing those numbers how is that they are not making any money, they do not saywhenever or not they did tried to make money, but failed miserably.
Sorry if you misinterpretted my tone on that post, I wasn't trying to insult you there. But I do see what you mean about a trend they have been going down. It does look like they've been heading in a certain direction with the progression of their last couple albums. Most people say that the direction is worse. It's defintely less technical, but it's not worse or better to me. I like all of their albums all the way to Reroute.
About what you said with the money, I think you're right that it doesn't necessarily say that they didn't try to make money. I just have the feeling by talking to them that making money is not the biggest thing on their minds. He just said something along the lines of their main thing is to have fun. I'm not sure what that means exactly though, since to me music is more a matter of inspiration then "fun."

I also can't think of anything that sounds like Damage Done. Either that or The Forsaken - Arts of Desolation was my favorite release of 2002. But Dark Tranquillity is definitely my favorite band. :)

*subliminal message*must listen to callenish circle and compare*end of subliminal message*

rahvin said:
callenish circle?

:ill: :puke:

Well, it's not exactly that horrible, but comparing it to DD is just so...

If I had to name one record that sounds remotely like DD, I'd say Natural Born Chaos by Soilwork. Although that's like comparing Swedish piss-tasting mellanöl (NBC) to real Finnish beer (DD).

-Villain

Reactions: Salamurhaaja
i actually like callenish circle. of course it's nothing compared to dd, but i mentioned them just because i think the attempt at trying "that sound" in melodic death is similar.

rahvin.

Arch said:
Anders got the dreadlocks going... he might do rap someday. :)
hey, the same happened with Chris Barnes! He was (he is!) a lousy singer, and HAS DREADLOCKS!!! CB doesn't have any dynamics in his singing, all he can do is
swollen with liquiiiiiiiiiiiiid
ready to buuuuuuuuuuurst
load of my lyyyyyymphhhh
will quench this dead body's thiiiiiiirst

And he's very very bad on the 'Bleeding' album's fast ones like Fucked With A Knife, his singing just can't go with the fast pace of the guitars,bass and drums. George Fisher kick his as in a major way!!!!!

And to go back to DT, how I would like a re-recording of Skydancer with Mikael on vox....My God, A Bolt Of Blazing Gold with him...:Smug::Smug::Smug::Spin:

The Trou-Peur said:
And to go back to DT, how I would like a re-recording of Skydancer with Mikael on vox....My God, A Bolt Of Blazing Gold with him...:Smug::Smug::Smug::Spin:

if only there was a way they'd actually do that, short of kidnapping them all... :cry:

rahvin.

I met Anders quite a few times and he's definately doing music for the love of it and not for the money. Definately not the rock star type by any means.

As far as his vocals go, I hated R2R's clean vocals, but didn't think it was a bad album at all. In fact, it wears on you after a while and you begin to actually like it.

I always thought that In Flames should sell a ton of records and I'm glad it's happening slowly but surely, but at the same time I kinda wish Dark Tranquillity was selling the same because I always thought they were the better band.

And for the record, Skydancer was my favorite DT release, not because of Anders, but because it contains some of the best songwriting and lyrics I've ever heard in a metal release.

Sunjammer said:
Do remember that most bands change their sounds throughout their career. Dark Tranquillity today doesn't sound like yesteryear's DT. If you don't like a band's sound, you're free to say so. Just don't be as childish as to start whining about how this or that person destroyed "the true band sound" or something like that. Just cope.

The difference is that Dark Tranquillity still has their energy and level of musicianship left.
In Flames doesn't.

stefan86 said:
The difference is that Dark Tranquillity still has their energy and level of musicianship left.
In Flames doesn't.

In Flames still got the energy and the level of musicianship... they're making another album plus getting ready for more touring in festivals and here in the U.S.

Arch said:
In Flames still got the energy and the level of musicianship... they're making another album plus getting ready for more touring in festivals and here in the U.S.

well, actually... i could do that, especially the touring part, though i can't play any instrument or sing at all. ;)

rahvin.

Reactions: Arch