Why do so many people hate Anders Friden?

Unfortunately, I haven't met Anders, well I did only for half a minute to get something signed, so I can't say much about what he is like. I do like his lyrics though, they seem to reflect the way I think about a lot of situations. But I haven't read the lyrics on R2R in detail, so I don't know about those.

The rest of the band is awesome though personality-wise. I talked to Bjorn, Jesper and, and Peter at length and they were really cool to talk to. They definitely are not changing their style to make money. They just write what sounds good to them. That's the vibe I was getting anyway.

I'm not gonna judge Anders negatively personality-wise (or anyone else) until I've actually met him. This is a very ignorant question, but how exactly could a person most likely meet them? Before or after a concert? Backstage? Outside?

Sunjammer said:
Let me just get this straight... In Flames' Whoracle was the album that got you into listening to metal, but you don't like Fridén's voice. Did I get that right? If so, I've got news for you. Fridén did the vocals on Whoracle. If you didn't like the vocals, then why did Whoracle act as your portal into metal? Care to explain?

Well, he sounded more like a standard death/black vocalist on that album.
In Flames was all about the amazing guitar melodies and riffs pretty much until Reroute, and then they took away the guitars and there were Korn-sounding vocals and re-used riffs left.

NP: Haunted - Trespass

commandante said:
Noone can explain that to you. But you have to understand all for yourself. For that you need:

-1 Discman with headphones
-1 Whoracle CD
-1 Reroute to Remain CD

Now all you have to do is:
-Put the Whoracle disc, the green one, into your discman and press play. After the disc is finished, you should have listened to 11 songs including 2 instrumentals(Dialogue with the stars is even enough to get you into metal)

-If you are finished with listening the first disc, now put the white disc into your discman. When this disc is finished you should have listened to "14 Songs of Concious Sanity".

Now, if you can't understand that Anders' vocals are different on both disc, you probaly should have stuck the headphones to the wrong part of your body. Sorry, I should have mentioned that earlier in the instructions, the headphones go into the ears, right into them...

Pretty much my point too...

NP: Haunted - Hollow Ground

stefan86 said:
Well, he sounded more like a standard death/black vocalist on that album.
In Flames was all about the amazing guitar melodies and riffs pretty much until Reroute, and then they took away the guitars and there were Korn-sounding vocals and re-used riffs left.

NP: Haunted - Trespass

Sadly ( because once inflames was a great band ) i agree with you.

I've talked to Anders before, and I found him to be a pretty cool guy. And as far as RTR being about money and airplay, uhhhh, it's been out for almost a year now and I haven't heard them on the radio or seen them on MTV, except at like 2 am(Of course, I see Arch Enemy, Kataklysm, and Soilwork on MTV2 at that time as well), and Anders fuckin yelled at my friend for asking him if he made any money. He got pissed at my friend for thinking he played music because he wanted money. so either the guy's a terrific actor, or he really does play music because he loves it(yes, even the songs on RTR). Lyrically, he has his moments. He's not Stanne, Sundin, or Ackerfeldt, but who is? Frieden has come up with some pretty cool lyrics, and he has written some that just made me go "What the Fuck?!?!?!?" But that doesn't matter to me, because I enjoy the music. I'm a big Slayer fan as well, and I don't go looking into the lyrics of Hell Awaits for any deep meaning, I just think that the song kicks ass. Now that's not to say I don't like deep. thought-provoking lyrics, but they don't make or break a band for me. what does is the music. the combination of the guitars, basses, drums, and vocals, etc. to me, the lyrics are secondary.

Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I haven't looked into them too much, but up to this point I'd say that I like In Flames' lyrics...I can usually relate to them one way or another. Unfortunately, I've looked into DT's lyrics little to none, so I can't really compare. I think that Stanne is a more talented singer all around, but I also think that Anders' voice works very will with In Flames' music (at least, most of the time). I definitely think that whether or not he is, objectively speaking, a talented person (if one can analyze such a thing objectively), a lot of people aren't willing to accept that. Well, I've rambled long enough.

I don't hate him. I think he is really cool and humble and as I've met him, I never thought of seeing him snoobish. I like his vox during the Whoracle/Colony era much better than now though.

plfffffft said:
and Anders fuckin yelled at my friend for asking him if he made any money. He got pissed at my friend for thinking he played music because he wanted money.
I don't think he should have yelled at your friend, imho he should have replied in a calm way. I wouldn't like ppl, whose concert i went to see, to yell at my face. :err:

@Stefan86: Thanks for clearing it up.

commandante said:
Now, if you can't understand that Anders' vocals are different on both disc, you probaly should have stuck the headphones to the wrong part of your body. Sorry, I should have mentioned that earlier in the instructions, the headphones go into the ears, right into them...

Sure, the vocals are different, but not that different. A bit cleaner on RtR. Personally, I like both Whoracle and Reroute To Remain a lot even though it's not the same sound on both albums.

Do remember that most bands change their sounds throughout their career. Dark Tranquillity today doesn't sound like yesteryear's DT. If you don't like a band's sound, you're free to say so. Just don't be as childish as to start whining about how this or that person destroyed "the true band sound" or something like that. Just cope.

Reactions: Siren
But Inflames sound is so obviously following the current nu metal trends ( whenever they want/make more money/recognition or not, the influence is there and its obvious they jumped in and made it sound PRETTY fucking similar to be a mere casualty ).

Show me a band that remotely sounds like Damage Done....

Misanthrope said:
But Inflames sound is so obviously following the current nu metal trends ( whenever they want/make more money/recognition or not, the influence is there and its obvious they jumped in and made it sound PRETTY fucking similar to be a mere casualty ).
I really don't think they're jumping on any bandwagons. They definitely aren't selling NEAR as many albums as any nu metal bands. Bjorn mentioned how Mudvayne sold 4 times as many albums in America alone then In Flames did worldwide on there newest releases. By talking to them, I'm pretty damn sure there not changing there sound to make money. They only do what they think sounds good, regardless of what other people think of it. Obviously I can't be 100% sure of that, but that's certainly what I felt.

Incendiare said:
I'm not gonna judge Anders negatively personality-wise (or anyone else) until I've actually met him. This is a very ignorant question, but how exactly could a person most likely meet them? Before or after a concert? Backstage? Outside?
I met them outside right after they got offstage.

Tebus said:
Bjorn mentioned how Mudvayne sold 4 times as many albums in America alone then In Flames did worldwide on there newest releases.

But why did he say that? I mean, why would he be aware of the record sales of nu metal bands if he isn't aiming to become like them? :tickled:

Tebus said:
I really don't think they're jumping on any bandwagons. They definitely aren't selling NEAR as many albums as any nu metal bands. Bjorn mentioned how Mudvayne sold 4 times as many albums in America alone then In Flames did worldwide on there newest releases. By talking to them, I'm pretty damn sure there not changing there sound to make money. They only do what they think sounds good, regardless of what other people think of it. Obviously I can't be 100% sure of that, but that's certainly what I felt.

i also think this is not their objective. to my knowledge, nu metal elements popped up in r2r because they thought they sounded good and were an interesting change in direction.
however, i must say this idea is pretty fucked up anyway. they should have seen where all of this would lead and they should have focused on some peculiar set of sounds in order to avoid being put in connection with the "real" nu metal bands, if they wanted to keep their previous fanbase. everybody thinks about these things when making music, so please don't tell me they live on an island where doing "only what was in their heart" was an option, since i guess noone does. they tried a formula, the label said ok. i think it wasn't a very good formula, especially since they don't sell as much as mudvayne.
if they're happy, kudos to them. but i'm not, and hooray for me too. ;)

rahvin.

Thanatos said:
But why did he say that? I mean, why would he be aware of the record sales of nu metal bands if he isn't aiming to become like them? :tickled:
Well first of all, because they were touring with Mudvayne. And second of all, because we were asking about record sales. I can't remember why we were talking about that though.

i personally think anders is a great vocalist (except on RtR) whilst stanne is a better vocalist friden is one of my faves i find his vocals on skydancer good and on jester race and colony he is amazing and also on whoracle and clayman but on RtR his vocals are pretty lame especially his clean vocals. Live his growls are good nothing wrong but i heard a life video of cloud connected and i was not leased at all.