• I prefer how it looks over CD's.

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • I like the obscurity of it.

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters
"... nobody records a demo on vinyl ..."
Duh! Since you seem to be a bit thick and slow, Ockham, let me spell this out for you. Commercial releases is what gets recorded on vinyl. There have been about 33000 - 36000 commercially released albums in the US every year since 1995. Of those, most were released by artists themselves, or independent publishing companies.

The "indepenent" artists looking for production, distribution and other support or resources (e.g. 'record deals') with major labels need to do something to stand out commercially from the rest of the pack. One method that works is to release a vinyl edition of an album, and be able to show that there have been sales. It's Simple: record companies are in the business of making money on acts they sign. WIth so many acts that 'look alike' to corporate executives, a band or individual needs to stand out in a way that is meaningful to a 'corporate type'; by showing that they can generate positive cash flows on the strength of their product or name.

" ...That's a matter of packaging though, you can just as easily put a CD in a huge case, I wish they did. ..."
You really need to get the facts before you make assertions that only express and declare your lack of knowledge. One of the main econjomies of scale that record companies realized with the introduction of CD's was in distribution costs. The initial CD's were in "long boxes", but record companies quickly (and willingly) eliminated those in favor of a smaller package size. The margins at record companies soared, since they could move more units per cubic meter (volume), or per ton (if by weight), or what ever measure was used. They also were able to use the excuse of a small package to rationalize not having any inserts, posters etc. The margin increases provided huge cash flows that allowed record companies to focus on manufactured MTV-acts, instead of looking outside for good live bands. That's a major reason why the metal era ended and we've had a decade of pop-divas, soft rock, rap, boy-bands, techno, etc.

But now that the sales of CD's are falling, and new acts are not showing any follow through on sales (beyond their big hits), record companies need to go out and find new talent that has credibility with audiences once again.

SO, that brings the scene 'full circle.' Bands that can show that they have some 'franchise' with an audience (people who will buy what the band releases or produces), will stand out when record companies look for new talent. I expect that SXSW2005 will prove that to be the case in spades. Bands that have huge attendance at showcases, lots of people wearing their T-shirts. an LP or something else that people want autographed, will almost certainly get deals, The rest -- doubtful at best.

I guess you have never been in a band, or never managed a band that made any real money from music (or elss you're in some band that's been a fringe act and which is going no place).

I have a couple of vinyls that have bonus tracks not on the CD version. Also, I have some LPs, EPs, and 7"s not released on CD. The cover art is also a lot bigger, and more detailed. And yes, they do sound warmer and more organic when played. I'd play them more, but my player is in a different room(my apartment has great acoustics, and not a lot of room) and I'm usually too lazy to get up and flip the vinyl over.

I think the sound produced is a little different - the tone is dulled/flattened a little and I suppose that generates the warmth some of you mentioned. But nothing that materially changes an albums experience.

However, I would have thought vinyls served a purely collector purpose, rather than any practical reason.

I have no attachment to vinyls, as I'm guessing most of you don't (due to my age), so I don't really see any logic in buying any to listen to, over buying a CD.

There is an unspoken magic to vinyls. In the modern computer-age, everything is digital. CD's, mp3's, wma's, streaming, you name it. There is something that adds to the atmosphere of a truly powerful album when you place a needle to a vinyl LP and the processed music you heard a sample of on the Net comes out of thin air with a dry crackle and a warm tone.

Or something, I dunno...

Vinyl has a physical presence. The music is a physical thing. CDs can only attempt to manifest that through the impersonal spinning disc in the cd tray. Mp3s are even less satisfactory, despite my playing most of my music through an ipod .

I would only buy vinyl if there isn't another version of the opus, or the other version is harder to find (Example: Blut und Krieg by moonblood is more commonly found on vinyl)

I have a record player, but I prefer not to use it. Actually it's never been used and it's really old so I don't know exactly how it sounds.

I prefer tapes and CD's overall though. I prefer not to play vinyl, and there isn't a whole lot of vinyl i'm interested in owning that I could find.

redaV_htraD said:
Things seem to be coming "full circle". Today, bands that want to legitimize themselves nd rise above the garage-band (or garbage-band) rabble, need to have a vinyl version of their albums, or else they are just seen as another home recording act - not taken too seriously by anyone in the music business. The reason is that everyone knows a CD costs only about US$0.30 or so to produce, but an LP might run about US$1.50/unit or more. A band or artist who can move the more expensive LP product, is a band that fans think is cool enough to spend money on...so record companies respond by sinking more money into promotion, tour support, recording re-imbursements, etc.

Bullshit. It's all about sales of product. If a record company knows of an unsigned band that has sold 5000 copies of a CD-R that they made themselves on their home computers or their friends' CD burners, they have a higher chance of being picked up by an independent label or one of the "Big 4" labels than a band that has only sold 250 copies of a manufactured CD or 500 copies of a vinyl release. The format is negotiable...it's all about sales.

It's Simple: record companies are in the business of making money on acts they sign. WIth so many acts that 'look alike' to corporate executives, a band or individual needs to stand out in a way that is meaningful to a 'corporate type'; by showing that they can generate positive cash flows on the strength of their product or name.

Yeah, something they can easily do with CD sales. An album being on vinyl doesn't have much to do with anything in the current market, other than it looks cool or sounds cool to say that you have a record on vinyl as well as on CD and the fact that an artist/band will get a higher royalty rate return than they would with CDs, which are still considered a "new technology" in record label contracts even over 20 years after their conception.

" ...That's a matter of packaging though, you can just as easily put a CD in a huge case, I wish they did. ..."
You really need to get the facts before you make assertions that only express and declare your lack of knowledge. One of the main econjomies of scale that record companies realized with the introduction of CD's was in distribution costs. The initial CD's were in "long boxes", but record companies quickly (and willingly) eliminated those in favor of a smaller package size. The margins at record companies soared, since they could move more units per cubic meter (volume), or per ton (if by weight), or what ever measure was used.

The main focus of record labels is to move "units," also known as the actual CD. The main reason the artists were so adamant in getting rid of the old "long box" that the early CDs came in (other than they were a waste of natural resources...specifically, paper) was because they were being charged monies for their production (remember, an artist doesn't make a penny on their music until after the label has recouped ALL of the costs of the production (manufacture), promotion and distribution of the album).

They also were able to use the excuse of a small package to rationalize not having any inserts, posters etc. The margin increases provided huge cash flows that allowed record companies to focus on manufactured MTV-acts, instead of looking outside for good live bands. That's a major reason why the metal era ended and we've had a decade of pop-divas, soft rock, rap, boy-bands, techno, etc.

The only reason the "metal era" "ended" was because the press decided not to cover dreck like Winger, Poison, Motley Crue and other crappy bands after Nirvana's business went through the roof in 1992. While reality is shaped by perception, it's not always correct in assuming that what you believe to be true actually is true. Hard Rock and Heavy Metal has always had its core audiences...the ticket sales and record sales of the successful acts out there should prove to everyone that the press does not have the complete lock on deciding what is actually popular.

anonymousnick2001 said:
There is an unspoken magic to vinyls. In the modern computer-age, everything is digital. CD's, mp3's, wma's, streaming, you name it. There is something that adds to the atmosphere of a truly powerful album when you place a needle to a vinyl LP and the processed music you heard a sample of on the Net comes out of thin air with a dry crackle and a warm tone.

Or something, I dunno...

FUCKING YES

Well, I'm not sure if this is true or not, as I doubt this but I went to see Helmet with my old bass player last week & he bought a vinyl. He said that "they" predict that we will completely do away with CDs in the near future & go back to vinyl... He said that new vinyls sound 20x better than old ones. I take it that they're not making money on CDs now anyways & vinyls come with online downloads of the album you buy so you will still be able to get the album & put it on CD. It's a big thing to some people out there, just not many that I know of yet.

I doubt this will ever happen, but I think it's fucking stupid. people can afford walkmans & $20 boom boxes; they can afford $50 CD players for their raggety cars they need to drive to work & back; but a ton of people still don't have the resources or money to own a computer with internet access. They can always have vinyl as an alternative & it might continue to get bigger, but they won't replace CDs with it. I say in 5 years or so things will start to change to mini discs or some other form of music media.

I own one vinyl record (besides a bunch of Beatles LP's that sort of belong to my mother), that being Emperor's Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk. Not owning a record player, I see collecting vinyl purely for sentimental value, and consider CD's to be much more practical.

I have a ton of vinyl records, inherited from my dad and granddad. I haven't gone through hardly any of them yet.

I wouldn't say that I "collect" vinyl any more than I "collect" CDs. I buy them because I want to listen to them.

I wouldn't say that I "collect" vinyl any more than I "collect" CDs. I buy them because I want to listen to them.

I understand this a bit. I do like to collect my cds in a sense. I am trying to gain a good "collection" of French black metal, both for the joy of listening to it and for the fun of gloating it.