Why do people hate/dislike Gojira?

Igor Samurovic

Be careful how you grip!
Dec 15, 2011
I don't really get it. People keep claiming Gojira's not heavy or something, that Gojira sucks and so on, but the reality is that they're heavy in a completely different way than most bands out there, they've got an unique tone to go with their style. What are YOUR thoughts on this? I also prefer Joe's vocals to almost anybody else's (Randy Blythe is the only one to top that, regarding the music I listen to, of course). Those two both utilize many different styles.

Oh, so it's the whole "I hate music that actually sounds good, I am too br00tal for that." thing.

I actually don't care whether or not people hate the band (unless it's mine, he he), I am intrigued by rather vague reasons. And, as much as there was a lot of hype about quality of Gojira, now there's an "anti hype" sort of thing about the whole deal, and THAT's what I find intriguing, because it just seems like a random bandwagon.

I don't hate or dislike them. I listen to "The Link" and "From Mars to Sirius" from time to time, and their DVD is fun. I like the musicians, drummer's pretty good.

Don't like the last album at all, it sucks compared to their earlier stuff. They're not the kind of band I can listen to very often, after some songs it usually gets somewhat samey.

They aren't appealing to people who like real death metal and don't like trendy music.

Wait, gojira is death metal? Surely they're some sort of sludge metal.
and they're mildly popular. From Mars to Sirius is awesome, haters gonna hate.

Igor Samurovic said:
Oh, so it's the whole "I hate music that actually sounds good, I am too br00tal for that." thing.

This might apply if Gojira sounded good. I am certain that my musical tastes are more varied than yours anyway.

I think that more people should like Gary Numan and Tears for Fears, but I wouldn't start a thread about it. Music is considered subjective to most people, so it's not really something that you can debate.

I like Gojira, From Mars to Sirus to be specific. They sound great live, I saw them with Children of Bodom and Amon Amarth a few years back. Their new stuff sucks though.

I prefer FMTS to TWOAF too, I also like the gloomy dark atmosphere Terra Incognita has got.

This might apply if Gojira sounded good. I am certain that my musical tastes are more varied than yours anyway.

Don't be so certain, I listen to many composers from Mozzart to Rachmaninoff, jazz artists from Cannonball Addarley and Miles Davis to Jaco and Wooten (possibly since I am a bassist, though Wooten tends to wank way too much sometimes), I like some Daft Punk and NiN, as well as Gary Numan (love that weird spacey feeling he's got in this stuff!). I like some indie bands that make sense and don't sound gay (and are not completely "hipster indie"). However, when talking about metal I don't listen to it the same way I'd listen to anything else, I mostly pay attention to how moving it feels, disregarding harmony to some extent. And since I am studying production, I actually pay attention to what sounds good to me and why. Also, I don't try really hard to find some obscure bands to listen to (now that I've mentioned that word, I like Anticosmic Overload, again, possibly because I am a bassist).

What I hate in music are pretensions. Aka, hair metal, a lot of shitty heavy metal, this usually applies to the '80s stuff and ultra modern metalcore (most apparently deathcore) garbage with really shitty screams and apparent lack of any musical sense/direction. Black metal also falls into this category too, however, there are some way more sophisticated black metal bands that are actually pretty listenable and enjoyable (I like some Dissection and Emperor, though I wouldn't consider them entirely to be black metal, obviously).

As for Gojira, it depends on what you like to hear. Terra Incognita and Link are one of those albums that you can turn up really loud and not destroy your ears. I hate the shrill sound most albums have (From Mars to Sirius gets very shrill and The Way Of All Flesh is too loud to be turned up, but they still sound nice on rather scooped systems).

It's also funny how I feel their first two albums have got the nicest sound to it and I like the new album's sound the least. Also, From Mars To Sirius sounds very messily recorded, they've apparently dropped their "low gain" thing altogether on that record. However...

Have you ever heard them live? The most crushing concert I've ever witnessed (Meshuggah was also extremely heavy, but lacked the low end for some reason, possibly a distorted bass that didn't get a clean DI or the sound engineer sucked), their low end is huge, their distortion sounds crushing through the PA, they are incredibly tight, and Joe's vocals sound huge! As far as I've understood, they use incredibly low gain distortion live to achieve maximum tightness, only increasing gain for songs that utilize serious tapping (which makes sense).

Holy shit, I just woke up and wrote this, I am not entirely in my right mind.

I'm not going to bother continuing this discussion because you clearly place a lot of value on the quality of musical production and you think that Emperor and Dissection are "sophisticated" bands.

Der Morgenstern said:
Did you actually think that was a mature, intelligent response?

Unlike you, I can expand upon summarized opinions that I share when the situation calls for it. There was nothing immature about my reply when I was referring to someone acted like only people of limited musical interest would have disdain for Gojira, as I am not one of those people myself despite my dislike for the band. You have proven yourself yet again unable to contribute anything but petty one-liners to any discussion.

For me, I never got into them, but they put on a good live show.
I like their energy.

But the music, is kinda meh

Unlike you, I can expand upon summarized opinions that I share when the situation calls for it. There was nothing immature about my reply when I was referring to someone acted like only people of limited musical interest would have disdain for Gojira, as I am not one of those people myself despite my dislike for the band. You have proven yourself yet again unable to contribute anything but petty one-liners to any discussion.

Get over yourself.

Gojira creates good music in my opinion. Its heavy, production is excellent, and the live show is hands down one of the best I have ever seen in my 32 years. My vehicle has a Bang & Olufsen system and when it comes to metal, Gojira runs it through the ringer.. I can drown out rap and reggeton or any other shitty music the plebeians bump. My biggest problem is I cannot stand their liberal hippie save the jizz whale lyrics.