Why do YOU like metal music ?

Hmmmm good question - why do i love Metal? It is kind of a difficult question, almost like asking why I like breathing.

I guess there are many reasons I love Metal, one of the main ones is it is extremely passionate music, made by passionate people, which provokes passionate responses from the listener. There is no fence sitting in Heavy Metal, you either love it or hate it, no room for grey areas. I've never met someone who kind of likes metal - metal fans are 100% committed to the cause. It might be a cliche, but Heavy Metal is a brotherhood, if you are a Metal fan, you are part of a worldwide family that exists outside of mainstream popular culture, which on one hand makes us all outsiders, but then you realise how many outsiders there are!

One thing about Metal is, I've been to many many gigs in my life, and you meet people from all over the world, who love their chosen band so much they will travel half way around the world to see their favourite bands play - that is dedication! I've never heard of another genre of music that inspires that level of committment in their fans.

In short, I can't imagine what my life would be without Heavy Metal!:kickass:

Why do i like metal?!

Well, It's just that, i like the heavier sound more...and some of the more complex stuff the genre has to offer. One more reason is that, there are soooooo many unknown bands(I'd say more than any other genre) that it's literally impossible to explore the entire genre. I mean, i keep finding out about new bands almost every 2 days...and many of these underground/unknown bands is what keeps the genre alive for me.

:lol:!! You're only as old as you want to be hon ;)

Or the other way around, quoting Holocaust:

I want you to understand this is just the way I am...
It's really healthy in it's way
(Though it wouldn't get me through an exam)

And you're only as young as you feel

you got it bryant.

metal transcends my mind and emotions to level non-existant in the everyday "real" world that we all live in.

the fact i can close my eyes to the music and feel like im in my own world of imagination, thoughts, and dreams. it takes experiences and wishes i have and transforms them into a euphoric world that is always open for me to...visit.

when you get that feeling like a black hole opened up inside you, the har stands up on your arms, and you shiver and bit...usually swallow your breath; that is an experience that is far more meaningful that anything explainable or observable by sense of touch or sight.

you can feel connected to it. its not like playing a new sport, watching a brand new tv show, or trying to write with your opposite hand.
the moment that new cd from this new band comes on, if it hits you, it hits you. there is no awkwardness, its like that new music has been with you your whole life, and it immediatly comes to fruition inside me.

there is also a love that is just personal. i can, and do, feel connected with so many people. the sense that a large bunch of metalfans is no different than an age-old neighborhood whose residents have known eachother for decades.
hell, the fact im sitting here typing this to people ive never seen or met before...half i probably havent even directly talked to on the forums; thats what its about right there. and even more so that i am generally aware the majority of people reading my reply are significant older than me, (no pun intended), but yet i don't feel the age is signifcant or even prevalent in the metal community.

just the fact i could explain the same thing in 100 different ways in this post to try and be clearer and still feel i wasnt able to fully capture my feelings shows how important it actually is.

i hear alot of people think of music as an escape from their everday lives. it does work like that, but not in the same way for me. to me, what metal lets me feel and imagine is what my life is. i would not be who i am without it. though, nothing about me would change if my "everday life" was voided.

there is world id like to live in, experiences id like to have, dreams i wish to be fulfilled, places id like to see, emotions i like to feel. metal brings them to life in my mind- which i am still convinced are more meaningful than things that are already in this world for me to experience.

"what's more valuable is what you create. there is a reason we have the need to act and think on our emotions and feelings; rather than have the emotions to justify our actions."

It's strong,straight and honest,a fist in a face to whole modern world.
Pure energy and adrenaline but on the other side full of emotions.
You can simply hear when someone is playing with love and doing it for over twenty years.
I started listening to Metal 18 years ago and 'till today passion for that music is still going stronger.It's more then music,it is a way of life...
And those are some reasons why I hate so much mp3 generation,black "metal",gothic freaks etc. :D

Why I love heavy metal? Because I do, because I can.

And because you'd be a fucking punk if it weren't for it :lol:

I've always been attracted to heavy guitars and pounding drums...
I like the diversity in metal, no other genre delivers so many emotions, ranging from mellow and depressive to wanting-to-break-everything-in-sight adrenaline rush.

As many others, I too find it to be a great vent for the hard-times, frustrations or whatever. I suppose that's the reason many embrace metal in their puberty and then ditch it after they're 20 or so... Those were in fact never into metal for what it is, otherwise they would've stuck with it and still be into it.

I'm 30 now and I don't feel like giving up on metal at all, it's a big majority of music I listen to and everything related to discovering new masterpiece albums, seeing new shows, learning about great new bands, discussing the old and new music with friends makes me very fulfilled and happy. Playing it on stage - even more so... :headbang:

I started listening to Metal 18 years ago and 'till today passion for that music is still going stronger.It's more then music,it is a way of life...
And those are some reasons why I hate so much mp3 generation,black "metal",gothic freaks etc. :D

I srtarted 25 years ago, and I agree with you on your last line, we're on the same wavelenght.

And because you'd be a fucking punk if it weren't for it :lol:

That too! :loco:

I've always been attracted to heavy guitars and pounding drums...
I like the diversity in metal, no other genre delivers so many emotions, ranging from mellow and depressive to wanting-to-break-everything-in-sight adrenaline rush.

And because playing in a band gave you groupies :D

I don't know you, but indeed I did evoke an emotional response from you. I replied to Poundingmetal74 for a specific reason. I am not the internet police and if you say metal sounds good and in key with your farts, that is fine with me. Metal isn't METAL without attitude, and you give a great reply by showing metal is about attitude as well as passion, musicianship etc.

Bryant

Im not going to sit here and yap just to impress people that want to read epic posts. Of course metal rules, metal pisses off the old lady, it has heart, wit, skill, and balls. You need a better answer, go blast some metal in your car and look at the expressions of peoples faces. Those are some reasons why Metal kicks ass it shocks the unhealthy mildly mannered. Metal is about rebellion, breaking rules, spitting in authorites face. ITs the reason why life is worth living besides a piece of some hot ass.

I have a joke for you all.........

What do you call someone who can speak two languages ? Bilingual.
What do you call someone who can speak three languages or more ? Multilingual.
What do you call someone who speaks only one language ? American !!

I can not even say one sentence in another language. I know how to say "hello" and other things in many languages, but I could never make a post on a forum written in any language other than English.
Your English sounds good Crissie. Please stay around.

Bryant

I'm writing only a short answer, because my English is not sooo good!

I like Metal because...

...it's the only music that makes my heart beating very loud with the rhythm of the sound and gives me a prickling feeling in my stomach.

I hope The Steelers kick Philly's ass this year, but great reply my friend. I too listen to some Rock music. I bought the new Three Doors Down disc. It is ok..... but it ain't metal. See you in a couple of months my friend.

Bryant

Pretty simple for me: It speaks to me.

There's lots of other music I like, and I'll listen to things on the radio that are decent. but nothing else hits me the same way.

Short and sweet.

Steve in Philly

Metal lets it all out and that is simply why it will always rule!

Its been summed up fairly well already so I wont go over how it can help people deal with their current issues.

The thundering or pounding beats with crushing/razorsharp distortion from bludgeoning axes and singing/wailing/screaming/growling whatever you wanna to call it - its adrenaline, its merciless and there is no escape - the Slayer embodied in your ears/mind...

To quote a Desaster title - Metalized Blood!