Why do you use the tuning that you use?

I use E because it sounds fine to me, and I don't see any reason to change it.

The only time I get to where I want to change tunings is when I'm learning songs from other bands. Hell, I haven't even wrote any songs for the band I'm working on getting together now, they're just already written in D standard, which is suitable for the music.

I keep one guitar in standard, for obvious reasons, but I keep another down in drop B, because so many fucking bands that I listen to are tuned in B, so it's convenient for me when learning their songs. No real reason for having it in drop B as opposed to standard B.

If I had a seven string (which I'm trying to saving up for), I'd keep it tuned down half a step at Bb.

I use two tunings usually.

1. I tune up my 5-stringed bass (BEADG) to C. Thats because my band tunes in C. It was the idea of out guitarist at the time we started out because he felt it got that heavier edge over standart tuning but didnt get som muffled as B could get. I really think that in the end it was about influences and alot of the stuff he liked at the time was in C. We have stuck with it though and it sounds good.

2. Standard tuning. Because, well, its standard. Havent played in a band in E for years and years but when playing along to cd's its usually stuff in E (I mostly play thrash if Im at home by myself). At times Eb but thats pretty rare.

well,

-on my iBanez Universe I play in eb. This is because I think it gives the most variety combined with the b string, and this way I can play along to Nevermore, Regardless of the general opinion ive got about them on the GMD Board.

-On my GIbson Les Paul Custom, its either in drop d or e, Depending on the song/mood. The guitar has a very specific feel, and plays well when used for jazz, blues, or progressive things like Tool.

and then

Esp-mII is in D Standard because I know a lot of things in D. and yeah thats really the only reason

Then theres a weird ass guitar with a steinberger Bridge, and is usually in some fucked up tuning. its in open d atm.

Ibanez RG in standard, just cause.

I vary between Standard and 1/2 step down, since most tabs and lessons I've come across use it.
Can't say I have experimented a lot with tunings, though..

1 guitar is in D standard because I use it for my band...Also gives me a chance to learn stuff like Necrophagist and Symphony X.

Another guitar is in Standard E tuning because it's probably the more versatile tuning, this way I can play around with some Jazz and Blues while also learning other music.

I typically play in D standard. It's brutal and heavy, but not super muddy.

Obviously a play in E standard when writing/playing black metal. B for brutal death. If I play anything rock or whatever I play in drop C typically.

I for one use standard E most of the times when I play guitar.
The reasons are:
-I'm too lazy to tune around all the time
-I like to play with thin strings because I feel more comfortable when gripping them, so they wouldn't be tight enough anymore if I tune them 2 steps down for example
-It doesn't make such a difference to me if the song is a bit lower or higher. For me the tunes and riffs make them sound good or hard or whatever you want, not if the lowest note is c or e(although I like c minor a lot and with the piano when I don't have to tune down anything I always choose c-minor for writing some songs ^^). Don't get me wrong, I like low tunings but not as much that they could overwhelm my laziness and my need for comfort when playing.

If I play In Flames who use dropped bB I simply use dropped D, for I don't have to tune my guitar too far down and I can use the same tabs still for the harmonies are the same. (Don't know if I explained this well. Did you understand what I mean? ) This way of course I can't play along with the songs, but well, as I said before...my strings are too thin to tune them down 2 or 3 steps. Maybe I'll once have the money to buy a second guitar and then I would put other strings to that one (or buy a seven-string), so that I could also play in other tuning which I would sometimes like.

If I play bass and cover some songs I always use the tuning the band who made the song uses because for playing a rhythm instrument you need to play along with the rest of the music in my opinion. I for one would consider it as completely boring just to play with the bass and just hear the notes the bass plays without the real tune of the song which is given by the guitars and the vocals. So as I'm forced to use the same tonality then I tune my bass down no matter how loose the strings get LOL. Sometimes that's a problem. for example when I played Cradle of Filth - Her Ghost in the Fog. It's usually played on a five or six string, I don't know, but there is a B-string for sure. As I only have 4 I had to tune the E down to B which caused a real strange feeling of playing :loco: :lol:

I was playing alot of metal in standard E for who knows why for the longest time. After tuning down to drop c I could really feel my way around new solos as I started flying around the fret board with a new sound. It was a major boost of inspiration. Almost like the guitar started playing itself.

I mostly play 7 strings due to the reason i can cover most of the tunings of all the bands i hear on 3 guitars and have a few 6 strings for other tunings i cant cover on them.

7 String Tunings
Guittar 1
B E A D G B E (Standard)
This covers all stuff at Standard and Drop D for me as well as Stuff that are normally at A such as Slipknot as all i do is drop the Low B to A and keep the rest standard.

Guitar 2 + 3
Both the guitars are tuned down 1 half step (Bb Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb, Nevermore riffs are heaven. Id recommend anyone trying this tuning out. Can be really brutal and also be really high.) and 1 full step (A D G# C F A D) and then both can have the low E string dropped to cover each of those tunings.

The 6 strings i have are tuned to C standard (For Arch Enemy Stuff) and C# standard with the low E dropped to B (For older Devil Driver stuff).

If anyone spots any mistakes. Please point them out.

If anyone had spotted any mistakes they would know what you are talking about and as such it wouldn't matter. Plus I would hope that someone with that many guitars wouldn't be making mistakes. :p