Why does it pump?

szymon

Jul 8, 2010
Cracow, PL
soundcloud.com
Hello there,
One issue has been bothering me for quite long time:
Why almost all my mixes/productions (and a lot of other not-pro mixes) cause pumping on laptop speakers, whereas pro mixes don't. It sounds ok on every other system, but not on laptop.
I don't listen to music on laptop, but i realise that some people do, and i would like to know how to deal with pumping.

It is really audible, especially with snare/kick hits. None of my works ever (or hardly ever) touched levels "above" 0db - clipped, while most of modern productions are clipping constantly, but with no pumping.
The question is - What's the matter?
Did you guys ever encountered the same problem?

It's probably your attack and release times on the compressor, if they're too fast it can cause pumping and it's possible that your snare and kick tracks are triggering this pumping.

This could be a possible fix....I had the same thing on my laptop. Come to find out it had to do with the built in WAVE sound card that was doing the pumping. It's something in the audio system to give effects for if you were watching a movie, etc....More like an artificial enhancement....With that said, all I had to do was go into the control panel, and then into the Sound or Audio and make the adjustments taking everything off and leaving the audio raw or untouched. Or if your running a program like Realtek for you audio then you'd need to adjust from whatever the audio is being controlled from. Hope that helps! I would be more specific but I don't have the laptop near me...