Why I (as a guitarist) love this forum

Meisterjäger;8027109 said:
I'd hoped it'd sink in more by now, but the big thing that I've been trying to get my head round is drums really, because I don't have any intention of actually recording acousitc drums, and I'm trying to figure out how to use software to replace drums with samples and stuff. I guess I should just buy Slate drums and have at it, only way I'm gonna learn.

Thanks for the encouragement though dudes, more proof that this place smacks the snot out of most other forums!

If you want to learn how to mix drums, I'd say just stick to some of the samples that are put up around here. Often times they're a little more raw and natural, somewhat like you would probably end up with yourself if you were to record an acoustic drumkit.

That said, I LOVE my Slate samples, but they're a little too easy to mix if you want to be challenged and learn something.

I wouldn't be put off by easy drum mixes! Slate samples come practically ready to from what I've read, right? I just never had any luck with understanding the software that I've tried to use to replace the standard punched in MIDI drum sounds on Cubase. I'm hoping if I just bite the bullet and buy some proper software it'll walk me through exactly how to do it, like the retard I am!

I've used my Toneport once to record guitars with an SM57 and it turned out like garbage. Will that just be that the Toneport is a cheap, plastic POS?

Meisterjäger;8027223 said:
I wouldn't be put off by easy drum mixes! Slate samples come practically ready to from what I've read, right? I just never had any luck with understanding the software that I've tried to use to replace the standard punched in MIDI drum sounds on Cubase. I'm hoping if I just bite the bullet and buy some proper software it'll walk me through exactly how to do it, like the retard I am!

I've used my Toneport once to record guitars with an SM57 and it turned out like garbage. Will that just be that the Toneport is a cheap, plastic POS?

They come close to ready. It'd be a stretch to say you could just toss them in a mix and leave them how they are, though.

I guess what I'm saying is that the next best thing to actually recording acoustic drums yourself is using some of the samples that other people have made from their sessions and posted here for our using. You'll learn the most about mixing real drums that way.

Yeah, I see what you're saying, it definitely makes sense. But for now, I'm kind of at the point of just wanting to get it all straight in my head, get it all working kinda. I'll think about mixing at a later date. When it comes to mixing and everything that I'm going to need to do that, I'll need to look into getting myself some literature on the subject I think.

A consequence of being a gear head and being obsessed with getting the tone of a certain amp recorded, is that I have focused less on playing.

That's the big daddy...It almost gets to the point to where you seem like you have to make a choice as to what you REALLY want to do time wise...In which most of us want to do both (play guitar / recording)

Either way, doing both of these occupies my time better than any other kind of recreational activity :)