Why I have come to hate PT. Advice for new DAW?

Pursuance

AKA Kylezan
Jan 17, 2012
Houma, La
www.facebook.com
Well i am in the middle of mixing my first album for my first customer and the first thing i work on that isnt my own band and I'm finding it hard not to just invest in a new DAW mid session and import all my wav files and midi information.

I have Protools M8, and while i know it is a tad outdated in comparison to PT10 the problems just disgusts me.

The lack of ability to freeze plug ins is utterly absurd and forces me to print things constantly to keep space free so my cpu can breathe.

No automatic plug in latency compensation has me manually lining things up and making sure everything is in phase when using drumagog.

Having to wrap every VST is annoying and Not to mention how unstable my client is, it regularly crashes and runs crappy. I have 12 gigs of ram, a 3.2 ghz phenom II x6 core processor so its obvious its not my pc.

Initially i was thinking of upgrading to PT10 and crossing my fingers that most of these problems would be alleviated but with the crossgrade coming in at a whopping 500 bucks i might as well just save some headache and hop on another DAW.

Im thinking Reaper due to the performance and price. Any suggestions?

Longtime Reaper-User, always satisfied, although this topic has been talked over and over again :)

reaper. i used pro tools 9 and 10. they do have some of the things you said. but i still find it unstable and probkematic. I demod many daws before buying reaper and i found it to be the best. i still think pt workflow is thr best though.

Now I'm a Pro Tools guy through and through, but if you're running a PC, want to use a ton of VST's, and don't want to spend any money, then Pro Tools is the worst DAW you could choose. Do like everyone else says and grab Reaper, or think about cubase.

Pro Tools is easiest to deal with if you have version 9+, don't use tons of vst's, and run a mac. So none of your circumstances.

The lack of ability to freeze plug ins is utterly absurd and forces me to print things constantly to keep space free so my cpu can breathe.

I have 12 gigs of ram, a 3.2 ghz phenom II x6 core processor so its obvious its not my pc.

I am running a laptop with MUCH less processing power and I don't feel the need to constantly print tracks. How many plugins are you running!?

No automatic plug in latency compensation has me manually lining things up and making sure everything is in phase when using drumagog.

This admittedly was a major peeve, sorted in PT9 though. If you want that feature then upgrade, if you don't want to then thats your choice.

Having to wrap every VST is annoying and Not to mention how unstable my client is, it regularly crashes and runs crappy.

Pro Tools was never designed to run VST's, so to complain that they don't work well using a 3rd party wrapper is frankly absurd. How well do you think RTAS plugins work in Cubase? It's like complaining that your phillips head screwdriver doesn't work with flat head screws ffs.

If you're running PT8 or lower on anything above Windows XP, you're doing it wrong.

PT8 + WinXP = stable
pt9+ + Win7 = stable

I also maintain that PTMP isn't really PT.

Sounds like you're doing something wrong...?

??? It's the same as PTLE but uses M Audio interfaces.

^^^ I think a good amount of the Reaper love comes from the fact that it's only $60.... Not sure about Cubase, but I know you use it. Isn't it closer in price to PT and Logic?

<< looong time samplitude user.. not a seemingly popular choice around here but i would NOT want to use any other DAW now..
a LOT of people seem to love reaper tho...

Why do you decide for ProTools if you know you'll want lots of Vst plugins?
Clear from the start that this is going to give issues!

If you need to freeze a lot it means you should think about upgrading your PC

Plugin delay compensation is no issue in pt10

But yeah, if you feel like that and have to spend 500 bucks anyway then I'd vote for Cubase. Also an awesome daw imo

you can demo all of major DAWs and decide for yourself.
you can get PT10 demo which is fully functional for 30 days, and same for reaper 4, sonar X1 and cubase 6.5.
as simple as that...

Just get other daw if you don't like PT, cubendo sonar reaper studio1 logic ableton there are lots of them, I ve tried em all in the last 10 years I work completely ITB and went to PT, PT10 on my latest iMac works flawlesly, but even when I was on PT7 it was always a better choise then cubase or other shit. I did not see much problem to nudge some tracks to compensate latencies.