Why is firefox better then IE?

Elysian893 said:
like what?

Well, I don't like the way they toolbars are setup, so using the quick links is sort of a pain.
I don't like how new windows open up in a tab.
Some of the shortcut keys that are common to IE/Firefox arent' the same in Opera
I've experienced lockups more on occasions with things like opening media files/documents within the browser, that I don't get with FF/IE. though...Java and PDF apps/files are notorious for taking down browsers.

Those are just the major ones that bug me the most.

And I'd like to note, I'm going to stop here with this discussion...because it's as tired as the AMD/Intel, Mac/PC, PC/Console etc. argument.

Rock Hydra said:
Well, I don't like the way they toolbars are setup, so using the quick links is sort of a pain.
I don't like how new windows open up in a tab.
Some of the shortcut keys that are common to IE/Firefox arent' the same in Opera
I've experienced lockups more on occasions with things like opening media files/documents within the browser, that I don't get with FF/IE. though...Java and PDF apps/files are notorious for taking down browsers.

Those are just the major ones that bug me the most.

And I'd like to note, I'm going to stop here with this discussion...because it's as tired as the AMD/Intel, Mac/PC, PC/Console etc. argument.
i've not had opera lock up on me, and i don't know what you mean by quick links... you can modify your toolbar setup completely with opera, the only thing you can't change is where your menu's are, thats standard like any other app... you can even change your tabs to the bottom of the window if you want... you can remove or add anything you want to the toolbars as well... if you right click on the toolbar you can go to customize and that brings up the customization window, which will allow you to modify it to your liking... theres a lot you can do with opera, although i would agree that it is not easy to find it right off the bat, they could make it easier to access or something...

edit: is the quick links the thing that pops down from the address bar when you click on it? you can get rid of that completely, i did...

thread hijack! let's talk about games. the one really good game that i played that came out lately is Darwinia, which is a kind of mix between rts and diablo. overall it feels really fresh even though the gameplay isn't something completely out of the usual.

as for the rest of games on pc... BLEH, the industry is at a crisis because publishers won't back innovative games. all they want is 5th sequels because it's a safer investment. it's always either yet another boring and done to death FPS or RTS or sports game.
consoles on the other hand have been seing a lot of great games, stuff that wouldn't sell here in the west because "it looks bad" or "it's not realistic" or "it's total whack" (duh, it comes from whackpan)
i only wish consoles wouldn't lag behind so much in 3rd world countries. here they're still trying to sell ps2 and xbox 1 like it's the current thing, and forget about seeing new gen stuff on display.

I think Wings of a Dream posted a really good link once, which compared FF with IE. He should dig that up cause it was just more proof that FF > IE

Wings of a dream said:
Yeah, it should be on one of the other Opera/Firefox/IE threads. Not sure where excatly that is now though. :erk:

Anyways a new version of Firefox is out v1.5 download here.

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

yes download it so you can go through the hassle of redownloading all your extensions and reconfiguring them, so by the time you're done with that you're ready to switch to opera :lol:

Elysian893 said:
yes download it so you can go through the hassle of redownloading all your extensions and reconfiguring them, so by the time you're done with that you're ready to switch to opera :lol:

*tries to keep from whipping out the fanboy flamethrower*

Rock Hydra said:
I know about it, I just don't like it.
the biggest part of your reasoning for not liking it is things you can easily change... oh well, maybe you'll like 9 when it comes out. i can't wait for it, firefox 1.5 didn't offer me anything firefox 1.0-1.3 didn't offer, so i didn't keep it.

Elysian893 said:
the biggest part of your reasoning for not liking it is things you can easily change... oh well, maybe you'll like 9 when it comes out. i can't wait for it, firefox 1.5 didn't offer me anything firefox 1.0-1.3 didn't offer, so i didn't keep it.

Well a .5 release isn't going to be really going to be coming with many features. Although, release 1.5 was hyped like it actually was FF2.0. Well, I'll check 9 when it is released, I'm always prepared to give a new version a another spin. But...I'm not feelin' the Opera thing.

9's got a preview out, thats pretty stable and shows off some of the upcoming features, but according to opera's beta website, previews are even before beta, kind of like an alpha i guess... i'm impressed by the v9 preview though, especially the tab previewing feature it has