Why no IRC Channel?

Obscurity

Sep 25, 2003
Visit site
This questions puzzles me!! Okay, so I know Vehemence you've been around the MetalChats of MSN, so why not run on IRC? So let's take a look at the pros and cons of IRC over MSN.

Pros
IRC == Much more people
IRC == Many different networks
IRC == You are able to utilize your fan base better then MSN by using Scripts written to specify your needs - i.e. a script running on FBSD that connects to a pop3 to send out mass emails. In turn this will also weed out lamers from MSN. (including all those script kiddies that bring in Scripts on MSN thinking they are fucking l33t or some shit).
IRC == The Fan base of metal fans are much larger on networks like Dalnet, Usenet, etc then MSN (they house only about 5% of metal fans that work use MSN)
IRC == You can run your own server (example irc.vehemence.brutaldeath.com or run it off another dns).
IRC == you have Java Applets that connect IRC Clients directly to your Channel("Chatroom") , which then allows users that are retarded that can't use standard clients, the ability to connect directly to your channel and talk to the ultimate Vehemence ;)
IRC == Much more script compatability then MSN
IRC == You can use ASCII Art ;)

Cons
IRC == Some retards can't use it and that's why you put the Java Client on your site

Reactions: TheEvilJudsus
Hey man, I completely forgot about IRC.. I used to use it in 1999, MIRC.. but then I was off and on it. I will deifnantly have a Vehemence IRC, chat room-It will be like our official first chat room...

I will probably need some help from you man, if your down to help.

Ill get more in to depth when im not so busy right now, but it must definantly happen. Big Thanks for this thread.

Yeah, on multiple servers but only 1 network. I used to Admin my own Server/Network as well though. If you want you can always setup a Java Client on your website, and have people come in through that client... They dont have to, they can use any Client they want but it helps for some of the tards ;)

Yeah most definantly, yeah we might want to set up the java client from our website. At first it will be a link, then incorporated into the website..when the new design comes along.

I hope the chat does well, I got like 800+ aim screen names I could turn on to this if they wish to talk to other Vehemence fans. Of course I want to make some kinda of directory featuring members bio's and so on. WE GOTTA UNITE THOSE MOTHAFUCKAS.

VEHEMENCE said:
Quake net and IRC, is it posisble to have both? are there enough people knowing about both or using both? Trying to cover all bases here heh.

Check it out man, PM me... I'll get you setup with everything. We can do a few different things, setup your own Server & DNS... setup a channel on an already running network or there are a few other options.

Quakenet is also one of the lamest networks to be in. Your much more likely to draw fans upon a smaller network which doesn't get attacked every 35 minutes (We've all seen the narly exploits that UnrealD has). That's because they don't modify UnrealD to it's fullest extent. While other networks that run fully off modified servers such as UnrealD, could easly withstand the restrants of attacks.

Vehemence: Me and some of my friends are developing a Distributed Chat System, when it's up and running... I'll let you know, it's rather ingenius...

Anyways, The easiest thing to do is to link irc://name.here.com

And then their own script gets used, it allows your own host not to be blasted away by the Java client.

Btw, if ya need any help your new design tell me ;)

VEHEMENCE said:
Anyone else in here used to or still do use IRC CHATS?
Going on for a few years now, mainly for XDCC transfers and stuff. I don't regular much "chat" rooms as such, but I would the Vehemence one!