Why not... remix with 6505 and slate samples

MetalJonesy

more metal, more booze!!!
i hardly ever post in this subforum, but i did this in 10 mins the other day after reamping with my 6505

thoughts? the bass and bottom end in generally is very woofy!

the toms are just put in as i cant be bothered to choose the right samples for them so theres no eq etc on them, just direct sneap samples was gnna use the maple tom ones like i always use but didnt bother! slap me, i dont care :-D

not much production on the vox, but ryan (Catharsis Studios) gave me some really nice pointers, however they arent on this mix!

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/369408/Final Sacrifice - VLATP2.mp3

my fav bit btw is the intro and just after 2:40

Dude SO much compression on the drums but it sounds fucking awesome. The kick and snare are just godly, and I'm usually really against Slate drums. Gj.

Howd you get so much compression and keep the snare loud in mastering? I find I can't do that much otherwise my snare just disappears in mastering cos its just the transient and thats it.

Not digging the guitars (kinda scratchy and overgained) or vocals (the singer not the recording) though. Bass is sick.

edit; listening on my laptop speakers before i could hear phasiness on the snare, but I can't now listening on headphones. Maybe check that out. edit; wow definately phasiness at 3;10.

this singer is god awful. i don't get the point of this type of singing.

something about the bass works

Dude SO much compression on the drums but it sounds fucking awesome. The kick and snare are just godly, and I'm usually really against Slate drums. Gj.

I love the snappy snare. :headbang: Works well for this kinda stuff, and you've amanged to remove the trademark "round" slate snare sound. I'd turn it a tad down though.

Vocals could use some automation + compression, at least on the lower growls.

hey man,can you share details about drum samples and processing??i like this sound,amzing..

cheers for your input guys and taking the time to listen!!

for some reason i think the guitars are a little undergained :-/, the DI's were really bad and all ive really done on them is just a notch and the typical high and low roll offs!!

I was using kick 10 scopped alot at around 196-250hz, theres a tiny boost at around 107, scooped a bit around 2-8k with a notch in there eliminating annoying click i lept hearing

theres also the tiniest blend of the black album kick for top rolled off lots (125hz) and theres lots of freq notches in the top end!! cuts, before the eq theres a limiter at -2db and after the eq theres compression at around 6dbs gr.

Snare is the Dream Theater one, the chain was limiter @-2.2db eq with lots rolled off, and a few dips (334,904 and 2.4) with a boost at around 9.8. this is then followed by compression 6:1, 6dB GR 1ms attack and .2s release.

Ill deffo agree about the singing also :D this was the version before i comped it a bit more and made it fit the mix a bit better, theres already quite a bit of comp on tyhe vox like 10:1 at maybe 10dbs GR LOL!!

theres not actually much compression on the drums overall actually, theres a 2:1 comp on the drum buss, maxing at 3dB GR on the loudest peaks, then another 2:1 master buss comp maxing at 2dB GR. but its bugging me still, ill have to go into it and listen again, need to do a version with decent toms too!

i think the phaseyness is coming from the reverb and comp on the drum buss!

Snare is the Dream Theater one, the chain was limiter @-2.2db eq with lots rolled off, and a few dips (334,904 and 2.4) with a boost at around 9.8. this is then followed by compression 6:1, 6dB GR 1ms attack and .2s release.

Wow really? I'll have to try that out.. I've tried 3ms attack with a really long release and it sounded alright (got that idea from the Underoath album and it produces a very similar sound), but never with a super fast release as well.

Sounds cool man, did you try using the medium kick samples instead of the hard ones? the medium ones have less of this high mid attack that you are cutting.

Sounds cool man, did you try using the medium kick samples instead of the hard ones? the medium ones have less of this high mid attack that you are cutting.

ahh interesting, i may have to try that, especially with the black album kick, the kick 10 ones seem ok but ill have a shot at that too in the near future

kev,

yeah i thought the same, especially at that 2:40 interlude!