Wiljen Wij - S/T

Reign in Acai

Of Elephant and Man
Jun 25, 2003
Favela of My Dismay
Who's interested in hearing some ace funeral doom?

This album came out over 2 months ago and is the side project of members from In Somnis and Pantheist.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=560221

Bridges is my fav track of the 3.

Edit - I just noticed that I typo'ed the band's name...woops.

Regardless of what they call themselves, this truly is some of the best funeral doom I have laid my ears on.

Review Courtesy of Borninblood.co.uk- Wijlen Wij is a new band made up members from Until Death Overtakes me, Solicide and Pantheist, 3 bands of maybe only a dozen capable of summoning funeral doom in the world. Because the bands have continued to be (and still are) active, Wijlen Wij has been regarded as a bit of a side-project for the last 5 years.

The name of the band (we who were once alive) suits the nature of the debut perfectly, as images of ghosts standing between your speakers in your darkened room hold out their arms and beckon to you. For once, an introduction actually fits the album in that it sets the scene and the context of what is to follow, and that scene is distinctly medieval and war like. I’m instantly reminded of The Soil Bleeds Black and their ‘The Kingdom and its Fey’ with it’s horses being saddled and armoured and the sound of blacksmiths making ready with their forges and hammers. The Dead Can Dance prayer-like lament and ‘Saltarello’-ism energy reinforces this image of battle busiment and for me at least, I picture the battlefields of France in Henry V, or the forests of Saxony in Gladiator. The keyboards are perfectly understated and used bathe the guitars in grey and silver. The guitars cut like razor blades with an almost home-made, home-recorded ferocity, all the time the timpani beat out the march.

The most obvious points of reference is Tyranny, but there are elements of all the member’s day-job bands in there somewhere. The voice reminds me very much of My Shameful with it’s tar-like oozing blackness. There are funeral bells and cockle shells and pretty corpses rotting in a row. Is there a theme of lament for the dead? Perhaps those that died violently on a battlefield long ago have come to touch us in our dreams? This is the sort of album to listen to and absorb for many years to come. If you are familiar with albums like Skepticism’s ‘Lead and Ethere’, Pantheist’s ‘O-Solitude’, My Shameful’s ‘Dust, Tyranny’s Bleak Vistae, Solicide ‘De Untergang des Abendlanders’, and Dead Can Dance’s ‘The Serpent's Egg’, and you can imaging merging elements of all these into something that this album uses, but does not rely upon, then you’ll have some idea what it sounds like. It’s also important to point out that this work sounds whole, not cobble together or cut and pasted or compiled a bit here and a bit there like some sort of collage. It flows, and equally important, it changes. In fact it’s a bit of an emotional roller coaster of desperate lows to almost hate and bitterness, covering several bases of the funeral ordeal.

Only time will judge if this is another Tyranny’s ‘Bleak Vistae’ or Skepticism’s ‘Lead and Ethere’, I’ve only listened to his album half a dozen times, but already I feel confident in giving it a mark almost in line with these master works. Outstanding and deep and the best album of 2007 so far.