Will there be promo's going out for the upcoming album?

FuSoYa said:
I have serious doubts The End is going to carry it, and part of me prefers that they don't. That's the part of me that really wants to separate our band from the metal scene. A logical assumption from this point is also that I'm not really interested in seeing our album reviewed in metal zines either. Of course there's maybe about 12% of me that disagrees, and I'm speaking only personally and not for the other members of the band.

I understand you 100%, but then you might want to not have your labels description of the CD start out with "Dark metal music on an orchestral scale".

The End isn't purely metal. I've bought Porcupine Tree from them, and they sure aren't metal.

I personally hope the End carries it as the End has awesome service and the best prices. I mean, amazon.com has it listed as 16.98??? That's outrageous! That rivals mall prices in utter disgracefully bloated pricing. At least Barnes and Nobles had it listed as 13.98... but that's still high as fuck. Goddamn, now I remember why I don't buy that many cds any more (said while gazing at empty wallet wistfully).

Novembers Paul said:
I understand you 100%, but then you might want to not have your labels description of the CD start out with "Dark metal music on an orchestral scale".
It doesn't. That was Tzadik's description that they wrote, we asked to have it changed. As far as I can remember the word metal isn't used on the new description. The old one made it onto the website, but the CD case will have a different description.

And Luminous: Amazon's price is a wee bit high, but I think Tzadik standard pricing is $15 a disc. However I don't think $14 is totally astonishing. You've got to look at what $14 is worth to you. I mean I've spent $14 at McDonald's in the last two weeks, and I can barely remember the experience :)...I dunno. I'd love to give them away for free, of course....

even if you don't feel an affinity for the metal scene, it'd be stupid not to do at least some promotion in that area. fans are fans, like em or not. for instance, you may not at all care for patton/bungle-related stuff, but you'd be stupid not seeking out that crowd since a lot of those people would surely dig it.

Of course I'm not assuming people in other scenes are less awful, but check out any other UM board and how many times things are called "gay". That shit just makes me fucking sick and the fact that I have any association to it whatsoever is more than a little troubling.

I plan on buying the album regardless of publicity or price, just for the quality of the past output.

...and though i do agree that 90% of the metal scene is comprised of ignorant asses (especially in the internet scene), there are quite a few people I know who are open-minded enough to command strong interest in alternate genres of music and NOT equate stuff they don't like with homosexuality.

FuSoYa said:
I read a couple posts of yours on the Opeth forum regarding promos, leaks, and downloading. I think that's the answer to your own question.
:( I'm really not an asshole, I promise. I own Bath and Leaving Your Body Map and based on the samples the new one should be even better (understatement), so I'll definitely be buying it regardless of whether or not I get ahold of a promo. Musicians that I enjoy enough to want to support (and motW/Kayo Dot certainly fit that) will always get my support. I suppose I'm just not the most patient person ever. :tickled:

In fact, I just ordered it from Ear Rational (for no other reason than to spite you :D ).

I think the whole idea of distancing yourselves from the metal scene is a bit childish, though. Don't take it the wrong way, you guys make awesome music to say the least, but if you try too hard to label your music as something and not something else, it could quite possibly end up detracting from the quality by making it contrived instead of simply the music you want to make that is beyond categorization. The fact is, motW created quite a stir in the metal scene amongst people who were willing to embrace something other than shitty bands that clone each other. Chances are great that Kayo Dot will create an even greater stir for a few reasons. For one thing, based on the samples it sounds aeons ahead of the last two (which were aeons ahead of much else that's out there in the "metal scene"), and also because as time goes on the level of open mindedness in the scene is growing rapidly.

There are still the pricks who think everything has to be gr1m and tr00 for it to be worth anything, and I can definitely see how a band who's into experimentation and progression would want to distance themselves from people with their heads up their asses like that. I can identify, I distance myself from people like that too because quite frankly there's nothing to gain from them. But you guys have to realize that there are numerous people around in the so-called metal scene who don't listen only to metal, who don't really care what genre music is in as long as it's something worth hearing. Deliberately distancing yourselves from this scene will essentially be you guys alienating the majority of your already built fanbase who feel quite an affinity with the music you make. A better idea would be to simply try to expand beyond just the metal/prog scene without fucking over the fans that've supported you up until this point.

I think any anxiety of mine at this point just comes from the fact that I am worried I wont be able to get my hands on this disc. Not to blow up ya'lls egos but I think for a lot of people this disc isnt just "Hey man that rocks!!" ... for me the music you folks make inspires me to continue creating art, and using my imagination in a way that hopefully remains untouched by the creeping grime of adulthood. Its not just something that is cool. Its important.

I would doubt I am the only person that feels this way.

As for the metal scene stuff.. I read a review of your cds in Outburn (I think).. cause at the time I was very much into industrial type music, and it was a decent magazine for that. That is really what led me here.. but I am certainly a metal fan .

I’m going to throw a slight variation on a George Carlin quote; metal fans are just like any other group of people, a few winners, and a whole lot of losers. Let’s assume you were to distance yourself; you’ll only end up in another fan base filled with ass holes.

I agree with everything that's being said here. The George Carlin quote is totally right on. If you've ever been to a Bungle concert, you've seen how many shitty shitty shitty people listen to "weird" genre-less (I guess) music. And of course the jazz/art music scene has got more than its fair share of purism, pretension, and snobbishness.

Honestly the press release that we put out on digitalmetal.com reflects pretty accurately how I feel. The move to Tzadik was a huge oppurtunity for us, and it's a dream come true (almost literally), but it doesn't mean (to me) that I think the metal scene is garbage and that we're leaving it.

So I personally have no interest in some distance from the scene, cause heavy metal is still a huge inspiration for me, I listen to it pretty much everyday, and like I said we've met some pretty cool peeps from metal. We never would've met Chupe, or Charlie or Laurie from RFW, or Greg from LWS, and that's just people from Dark Sympathies.

And how many people here would never have known about our music if it weren't for ultimatemetal.com or Metal Maniacs, or BW&BK, or whatever? There's definitely a bit of throwing out the baby with the bathwater. And I don't mean that from an economic sense of "this scene helped us sell albums and make money!" I mean that "through this scene we got to share what we do with alot of people".

What is disgusting to me, is when a band like maudlin of the Well takes the stage at Milwaukee Metalfest, and the metal fans close their minds and dismiss the band almost instantly, and leave the room to go watch another second rate, shitty grind band that paid their $1000 to play, and miss out on something unique. That's where the "metal scene" sucks, and I can't you guys from wanting to remove yourselves from that garbage. There are a lot of sheep in metal.