Will you be buying the new In Flames?

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
The new Terrorizer has a studio update on In Flames. I forgot the name of the album, and the magazine is all the way downstairs. The writer for Terrorizer showed no enthusiasm for recent In Flames material, but he said the new stuff seemed much heavier and more inspired. No word if the stupid clean vocals are still there.

So who will be buying the new In Flames?

In Flames have practically broken all the way through to mainstream - I'd be shocked if they took a step backwards, although I have read that the new one sounds like Clayman, so maybe they're compromising...

Heh, reminds me of that first St Anger review: "This song sounds like Battery with blast beats, I'm not lying!"; "That song sounds like Whiplash on steroids, I'm not lying!"; "Kirk Hammet can solo like Alex Skolnick, I'm not lying". :loco:

I don't even like their "masterpiece" *COUGH* Jester's Race, so no.

There's a thread in the Swedish Metal forum with the album cover and some photos from it if anyone is interested. Can't be arsed to link you, but it's not that hard to find. :)

Dead_Lioness said:
yep. same here.

In Flames is becoming one of those bands that if you hear one cd, you heard them all......
Well, I don't see how you can say that, since every album is different than the one that preceded it. Now, had you said that each one gets progressively worse, we'd be in agreement...

I'll buy it, and I'm stating right now that it won't let me done as much as 'Anthems of Rebellion'. But if it does, I'm killing a small animal or something. I keep holding out hope for In Flames. I've given up on Arch Enemy.

npearce said:
I'll buy it, and I'm stating right now that it won't let me done as much as 'Anthems of Rebellion'. But if it does, I'm killing a small animal or something. I keep holding out hope for In Flames. I've given up on Arch Enemy.
You're a weenie. AE at least still writes good riffs and hasn't forgotten the importance of the guitar solo. And none of that mamby-pamby clean vocal whiny crap either.

You're wrong. Their riffs have gone down the shitter. Their solos are about as pointless as my belly button. The solos don't even fit the songs. They just thought, "Hmmm . . . time for a solo."

I agree with NAD. The only ones I own are Lunar Strain/Subterranean and Jester Race, and Jester Race is fucking pointless. Each time I listen to it (which is rare), I keep thinking, "this is a masterpiece of a sub-genre?"

Dreamlord said:
I agree with NAD. The only ones I own are Lunar Strain/Subterranean and Jester Race, and Jester Race is fucking pointless. Each time I listen to it (which is rare), I keep thinking, "this is a masterpiece of a sub-genre?"
You have embraced the dark side, haven't you?

Less than 1 year ago, you still touted TJR as the greatest album in the genre. You ninny.

Whoracle > Colony. As for Arch Enemy staying closer to the spirit of their earlier works, that may be true technically, but I think most of their recent material is uninspired and we've been through the "Angela is a marketing ploy" thing countless times...