windows 7 service pack 1

Djabthrash

Aug 26, 2007
Paris / Montpellier, FRANCE
Hi guys,

i've seen the Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 has been made available for download last week... anybody installed it yet ? Any risks (especially for audio softwares) ?

I'm just waiting to see if it's safe before i download it.

p.s : my version is Windows 7 Home Premium

I've installed it and everything is ok. Win 7 Ultimate 64 bits here. On games you will get some very small fps increases.

So far so good - Windows 7 Professional x64 with SP1. My DAW and all my hardware is stable since install 4 days ago.

Windows Update installed SP 1 here. No problems with any of my hardware of software so far.
It did put some odd Snipping Tool on the desktop, though.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT.

There is absolutely no reason to upgrade your OS unless there is an issue fix or feature you need. Turn off automatic updates on everything and only do so if you have to. You will live a happier more productive life.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT.

Are you still using your tried and true Bag Phone? I mean it was a cellular phone, it made phone calls, it received phone calls? Why upgrade to that slick iPhone when it was not broke.

BagPhone-137.jpg

Just kidding, I always weigh the risks of upgrading, which with a good backup strategy are essentially nil, and then upgrade if I'm comfortable (which in most cases I am). If something breaks I can simply roll my configuration back and nothing is lost. Since I tend to believe there is "always something wrong", it just may not have had an impact on me yet, I tend to like to keep current with all the little fixes that come out - drivers and such, primary OS fixes, ... With a good backup plan, it's easy to get back to where I was. I don't use auto-update, but I do have it tell me when one is available for my review so I can choose what I think I need.

As always, individual mileage may vary and what works for me, may not work for you. No harm no foul.

I actually do prefer my $20 prepay phone. I had a hand me down razor, but that thing fucking sucked so I switched my prepaid phone over to the plan. I used to have a data plan so I could check craigslist mobile for gear and blowjobs, but now I have the internet at home.

My main gripe with updates is that people freak the fuck out when they have a problem and then state 'OMG EVERYTHING IS UP TO DATE THIS SHOULDN'T HAPPEN TO ME!' - that's bullshit - as soon as you start changing shit around you increase the likelihood of problems arising. I actually upgraded my video card drivers for this ancient 7600 GT that my friend is loaning me, now i can't play L4D2 without fucking zombies polygon's tearing across the screen, thus i can't see shit - forcing teammates to question my usefulness. I did notice a slight improvement in BBC2, but it's not worth actually having game-breaking issues.

I have one computer that I use for everything, if this was just a 'studio' computer it wouldn't even be connected to the internet and would run straight up vanilla windows 7 x64 with reaper and a few plugins only.

There is absolutely no reason to upgrade your OS unless there is an issue fix or feature you need. Turn off automatic updates on everything and only do so if you have to. You will live a happier more productive life.

LIES! I work as a computer network engineer and I STRONGLY advise you to ignore that comment. Fair play check out service packs to see if they screw with it, but DON'T turn off automatic updates!!!! The reason that Microsoft release these is to make improvements and close any security loopholes in the OS. Updates aren't an upgrade to your OS they're as aforementioned improvements, anyone remember the conflicker virus? That was taking advantage of a loophole found in the depths of the OS of which you needed a Windows Update to fix!

After all of those words of warning, as you may guess all is working perfectly fine! Windows 7 Pro x64, Pro Tools Le 8.04 still running like a dream.