With this set-up (what next)?

Aug 6, 2006
Below is my home studio set up. Looking at what I ahve what would you suggest I get next?

Jackson DKGMT Dinky w/EMG Guitar
Ibanez GSR200 4-String Bass
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI Digital Audio Card
Behringer V-AMP PRO (This is the guitar model and I also use it to record bass tracks.)
2 Behringer XM8500 Microphones (Only use for recording vocals)
1 Behringer Eurorack UB802 Mixer (Only use for recording vocals)
1 Pair Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones (for mixing/mastering)

Probably will want to upgrade to a real audio interface (FirePod, FireStudio, RME, etc.), and then look into getting better monitors or a real guitar rig, mics, etc... ditch everything with the word Behringer on it. :lol:

Audix i5, good preamps (trust me, that 2496 will cover you as far as ADC and DAC, you just need to feed it a good pre and you'll be happy), and of course an amp to kill neighbors with. If you simply must use a modeling interface it would be worthwhile to drop money on an XT and start spending some time looking into impulses (which can help POD sounds greatly), but you have the 2496 and there's no better time than now to start learning how to mic things with as many toys as possible.

Jeff

I have a similiar setup to you, and I really feel monitoring is my weak link. My headphones don't cut it for extended usage.

I would go with a decent set of monitors.

I have a similiar setup to you, and I really feel monitoring is my weak link. My headphones don't cut it for extended usage.

I would go with a decent set of monitors.

+1 on that.

That is that the rest of the guys are right too, but the next thing to buy: Monitors. The more expensive, the better, unfortunately. :erk:

Probably will want to upgrade to a real audio interface (FirePod, FireStudio, RME, etc.), and then look into getting better monitors or a real guitar rig, mics, etc... ditch everything with the word Behringer on it. :lol:

I live in an apartment so I can not mic any amps so that is why I use the V-Amp Pro for guitar and bass. I really have no issues with the V-Amp Pro and I acctually love it.

Audix i5, good preamps (trust me, that 2496 will cover you as far as ADC and DAC, you just need to feed it a good pre and you'll be happy), and of course an amp to kill neighbors with. If you simply must use a modeling interface it would be worthwhile to drop money on an XT and start spending some time looking into impulses (which can help POD sounds greatly), but you have the 2496 and there's no better time than now to start learning how to mic things with as many toys as possible.

Jeff

What will a pre-amp help with in terms of recording? I am unable to mic any amps as I live in an apartment so the V-Amp Pro is all I have for Guitar and Bass tracks. I like th v-amp and am happy with what I am getting from it.

Just trying to get the best recordings I can with the restraints of living in an apartment.

+1 on that.

That is that the rest of the guys are right too, but the next thing to buy: Monitors. The more expensive, the better, unfortunately. :erk:

Yeah, I do need some good monitors but I also think I need to train my ears on how to mix as well...lol

I still say: a good pair of monitors. ;)

Use the headphones to get the stereo image right, and use the monitors to practise mixing. The reason to that is too long to explain, but ambience, reflections, human ear, bla bla bla... Monitors.

Your shit sounds pretty good to me.

I think monitors also.

I only asked about your computer cause if you were running less than a gig of RAM I was gonna say more RAM! :lol:

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. I am happy with the end result of what I have. I would like ti to be a bit louder and more polished but I think for my first home recorded demo it is good. Just would liek to get it better for next time and sounding more like allot of the people on here that have some killer death metal stuff home recorded.

Yeah, I bought my computer basicly just for home recording and use my slower one for web surfing and email. That was a great investment.

Peter

Peter

Ibanez GSR200 4-String Bass

Upgrade. I used to have the Soundgear GSR300, am currently lending to a friend since I have upgraded to ESP's. If you want a solid bass at a great price, look at Agile/SX/Rondo. I ordered the SX Scorpion bass and the thing sings. I've since upgraded the bridge, strings and converted to string-through. Great deal. Ask around, a few others around here own Agiles.

Upgrade. I used to have the Soundgear GSR300, am currently lending to a friend since I have upgraded to ESP's. If you want a solid bass at a great price, look at Agile/SX/Rondo. I ordered the SX Scorpion bass and the thing sings. I've since upgraded the bridge, strings and converted to string-through. Great deal. Ask around, a few others around here own Agiles.

How much of an improvement were those upgrades? I've got an SX bass myself.

sx_bass.jpg

All I've done so far is upgrade to 50-70-95-115 GHS strings and adjust the intonation, action and nut. I'm pretty happy with it, especially for $120.

How much of an improvement were those upgrades? I've got an SX bass myself.

The new bridge and string through made the bass a little warmer. I did it mainly because I hate those stock bridges. I've cut my hand on them before, and now I stay far away from them. The intonation adjustments on the bridge I have now are about twice as easy also. Everything is really smooth. The total cost of everything after the new bridge and ST conversion brought it up to $160. Still damn cheap. I probably won't use it for recordings since its hard to beat the ESP's, but its a fun and easy to play guitar for stage.