what's up with the beans?

I'd just go for PodFarm if I were you Phil, unless you need the extra inputs that can be run in via SPDIF! (and even the PodX3 bean has SPDIF outputs, which admittedly is pretty sweet)

haha i dont plan on it man haha. mabye a light teal color lol just playing. but yeah i want to have tons of options for any one band to choose from. cause me and my partner are going to record every type of band. we dont wanna get stuck with metal and get burnt out on it and all of our products start sounding the same.

So I saw Marcus (I think it was him) reccomending to get a Pod Xt bean instead of a live or a pro. What's up with that? Is there any true advantage besides it being cheaper?

I own both the XT and XTPro.
No big difference in tone, Pro's signal is bigger.

XT is perfect for home and carrying to everywhere, but Pro is better if you have a racked rig. It has also more outputs in the rear, spdif, balanced, unbalances, many holes to plug whatever you want... even a direct dry output specially done for DI and reamping.

Man, you Americans must get it lucky. In Australia buying an X3 Live brand new (1299 AUD) is actually cheaper than buying the bean+a Line 6 footswitch/expression pedal board:erk:
I got my Live for 590 AUD, second hand, but the previous owner barely used it and I'm happy with it having paid a fairly small amount for it.

The bean doesn't come with a Guitar In Pad switch does it? That's one reason I'm glad I didn't get the bean, because that Pad switch really has helped me to reduce clipping.
My guitar was clipping my POD every time I chugged on my low B string, once I hit the Pad switch, no more problems:)