With this set-up (what next)?

Really cool death metal you got there. I think it sounds good too. Like you said though, it would sound even better if it was louder and polished. Wouldn't a descent Limiter do that rather well?

I see that you do everything yourself like myself. What are you doing for the drums? Programmed? DFHS? Do you play and record e-drums or a real set and then replace? I'm curious as to what's going on there.

Really cool death metal you got there. I think it sounds good too. Like you said though, it would sound even better if it was louder and polished. Wouldn't a descent Limiter do that rather well?

I am not sure how a limiter really affects it. I do have a limiter on the mastered track of each song but I am not sure if I am using it correctly...LOL

I see that you do everything yourself like myself. What are you doing for the drums? Programmed? DFHS? Do you play and record e-drums or a real set and then replace? I'm curious as to what's going on there.

I use Beatcraft for my drums. It is a pretty easy program to get used to and I have tweaked the hell out of it to get the best sound I can. I basicly make the drum track with Beatcraft, render it to a .wav file and then I import that into my recording/mixing software (Mixcraft).

Peter

Below is my home studio set up. Looking at what I ahve what would you suggest I get next?

Jackson DKGMT Dinky w/EMG Guitar
Ibanez GSR200 4-String Bass
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI Digital Audio Card
Behringer V-AMP PRO (This is the guitar model and I also use it to record bass tracks.)
2 Behringer XM8500 Microphones (Only use for recording vocals)
1 Behringer Eurorack UB802 Mixer (Only use for recording vocals)
1 Pair Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones (for mixing/mastering)

Definitely upgrade to a higher quality interface (i.e. firepod, firestudio, something with 8 mic pre's if you want to ever do drums). Then I would definitely recommend some new quality monitors, something with a 8" woofer with a nice flat frequency response would work nice. Then get a guitar amp or find one to borrow and get an Audix i5 or SM57 for that, and then a decent vocal mic. Studio Projects makes some affordable vocal condensers at great prices. Then if you ever get a drummer you will need a lot more mics and such to record that stuff. Good luck.

Jordan

I am not sure how a limiter really affects it. I do have a limiter on the mastered track of each song but I am not sure if I am using it correctly...LOL

I use Beatcraft for my drums. It is a pretty easy program to get used to and I have tweaked the hell out of it to get the best sound I can. I basically make the drum track with Beatcraft, render it to a .wav file and then I import that into my recording/mixing software (Mixcraft).

Peter
I don't know either really. I tested it on rhythm guitar tracks using the presets and could hear an obvious change as in giving it that in your face, loud, polished feel. I would experiment with that a lot and ask for help (so I can better understand it myself :lol: )

The only other thing I might suggest is to get a more high end AD/DA converters. I've heard great recordings with the 2496 but something tells me that it took a lot of work, experience and cash on high end processing software to get it sounding so good. Then again I might not know what the hell I'm talking about...again. :lol: To me though, that's what I notice about your recordings and many others, that lack of clear, polished, almost high definition type of sound that we all want. So I'd look into that as well.