Within The Ruins style kick and guitar?

If you want to answer a question.. I'd just ask this. As someone new to mixing and trying out a bit of mastering (nothing high end just my own works) do you have any basic advice?[/QUOTE]

Fisrt thing is to own a good software limiter like Ozone, Slate Fg-x ext.... Then you want to watch your low end because this will be the first thing to hit your limiter and cause problems. I will sometimes even stack two limiters so one takes a bit of the heavy load off the second one. I honestly don't have any secret tricks, it's just about getting the overall mix balanced out so I can make it LOUD!

Then you want to watch your low end because this will be the first thing to hit your limiter and cause problems.
I have a problem (this happens almost 100% of the time) where my snare is hitting the comp/limiter before the low end is. If I lower the volume of the snare, it gets lost. Even with multiple stages of compression and clipping the snare tracks and drum buss, I still seem to have that snare poking through my master, triggering comps and limiter....causing pumping. Not really sure how to handle this. Maybe I need to slap a limiter on the snare tracks and/or buss as well to catch those peaks? Figured the clipper would take care of that.....

I have a problem (this happens almost 100% of the time) where my snare is hitting the comp/limiter before the low end is. If I lower the volume of the snare, it gets lost. Even with multiple stages of compression and clipping the snare tracks and drum buss, I still seem to have that snare poking through my master, triggering comps and limiter....causing pumping. Not really sure how to handle this. Maybe I need to slap a limiter on the snare tracks and/or buss as well to catch those peaks? Figured the clipper would take care of that.....

Try putting a limiter on your drum bus. Set it so that it's only touching errant cymbal and snare peaks. If you still have issues after that your snare may just be too loud. Make sure that you're not turning it up to compensate for other elements of your mix masking the snare

imho a limiter on the drum bus will produce the same problem, just earlier. gclip or any other good clipping tool is going to help on snare. just clip the snare until it does _moderately_ peak out the full mix and your mastering dynamics will work more to your liking...