Wolfe Amplification 4x12

Wolfeman

I Prefer EL-34s. So What?
Feb 21, 2006
Cleveland
Finished up my 4x12 today. All it's missing is a logo plate.

It's a beast.

31.75" W
31.75" H
13.50" D

Closest estimate I could get on weight was 105 lbs, but it feels lighter than my Bogner cab which is 100 lbs, so it may even be lighter than my estimate.

The cab itself is 3/4" oak hardwood. The front and rear baffle is 3/4" baltic birch ply. The front bevel peice is 2.25" thick, which is slightly bigger than Orange does, but it gives that similar look. All joints are finger joints, so no fear of breaking this thing. The handles on the side are 4 way grips, so you can carry it any way you like. Also, I mounted the handles on the center of gravity so it makes life much easier. It has heavy duty rubber feet, and also 4 removable casters on quick change plates. The casters also have locks on them. The grill cloth is very 'see through' so getting the mic near a visual point of reference is easy in low light.

This cab puts out a ton of low end. It's nice and tight low end though, just very pronounced. I did a little comparison with my Ubercab, which has the same speakers. I set the resonance control on my 5150 to noon through my WA cab. Then I plugged the Ubercab in, and in order to get the same amount of low end I had to max the resonance control. Even then the Ubercab still wasn't getting the same amount of bass. Pretty nice to be able to have more control over the low end.

It has 2 V30's and 2 G12T75's right now because that's what I had laying around, but any I sell will have 4 v30, or whatever the buyer wants at an additional price. Grill cloth, tolex, and piping can also be a custom choice at an additional cost.

This is the only pic I could get at the moment, it looks much better in person. I should be getting some pro pics done up in the next few weeks so you will see it better when that happens.

Edit- Oh and just in case anyone is interested, the price is $899. Cheaper than most cabs of this caliber, and mine is built by hand, not a CNC machine and assembly line.

GOPR0055.jpg

How the hell are you able to get it down to such a price? Especially if you are building them by hand and not mass producing them with a CNC?

Then again my avatar was 549, and it plays better than...all cabinets under $1200 than I have played, so I guess its possible.

How the hell are you able to get it down to such a price? Especially if you are building them by hand and not mass producing them with a CNC?

Then again my avatar was 549, and it plays better than...all cabinets under $1200 than I have played, so I guess its possible.

$250 for all the wood/hardware/etc, $450 for the speakers, $200 for my time and effort :)

Seriously, after building this I now know that most cabs are a total rip off. Avatar is certainly the exception. The prices they charge are what Mesa/Orange/etc are worth. Paying for the name I suppose.

Looks top-notch man, the tolex, piping, and grille all seem flawless. :headbang: Just curious though, why is the baffle seemingly much smaller than the overall front? Just cuz the Mesa OS is the cab by which I judge all others, and while it has almost the same exterior dimensions as yours, it has the baffle spreading further to the edges (and thus the speakers more spread out). Obviously though, the sound is what counts in the end!

Badass man. You should sell this to one of the bigger reamping guys to have a cab shootout!

Looks top-notch man, the tolex, piping, and grille all seem flawless. :headbang: Just curious though, why is the baffle seemingly much smaller than the overall front? Just cuz the Mesa OS is the cab by which I judge all others, and while it has almost the same exterior dimensions as yours, it has the baffle spreading further to the edges (and thus the speakers more spread out). Obviously though, the sound is what counts in the end!

Purely for looks. I like the bigger bevel's that the baffle attaches too, like in the Avatar contemporaries and the Orange/Mata/Green/Electric/etc.

orange_4x12.jpg

cont%20black%20412.jpg

Lol after looking at the Avatar pic, I may as well just buy those and put my logo on them. They look pretty similar.

If you haven't found someone to do your photos yet PM me. Photo biz is pretty slow during the winter and I'll drive to Cleveland...

By the way, I can build 2x12's, 1x12's, 8x10's, whatever you need.

If you haven't found someone to do your photos yet PM me. Photo biz is pretty slow during the winter and I'll drive to Cleveland...

Dang I should have contacted you last week, I was in Columbus for 5 days. I'll let you know if I need it though. I'm thinking about dropping the ball on a DSLR.

Dang I should have contacted you last week, I was in Columbus for 5 days. I'll let you know if I need it though. I'm thinking about dropping the ball on a DSLR.

Yeah bro you should have! All my lighting gear is portable, and it wouldn't be the first time I've done gear photos, we could do your whole line while I'm there if you want.

31792_132771530082092_132769700082275_295013_4883436_n.jpg

Sorry to hijack, haha, on with the 4x12 discussion :headbang:

$450 for the speakers

idk where you're sourcing the speakers from, but it might be worth trying to buy them from avatar...about a year ago they quoted me a price of $349 plus shipping for 4 V30's. of course i'm sure they wouldn't be too keen to selling to another manufacturer, but i'm going to assume that you aren't going to be building so many of those right now that you couldn't pull it off for a bit...

idk where you're sourcing the speakers from, but it might be worth trying to buy them from avatar...about a year ago they quoted me a price of $349 plus shipping for 4 V30's. of course i'm sure they wouldn't be too keen to selling to another manufacturer, but i'm going to assume that you aren't going to be building so many of those right now that you couldn't pull it off for a bit...

Avatar is selling 4 for $378 right now, and add $29 for shipping = $407. Celestion is increasing their prices in the US next week, and Dave(from Avatar) told me they would be an additional $10 per V30.

That's where I got the $450 from :)

Kinda sucks, Celestions are already overpriced anyway.