Wolfe Amplification 4x12

I'm curious to hear one of these. My current cabs are 15" deep...I can't imagine going any shallower these days, haha.

If you are a builder, is there no place you can buy wholesale speakers? Seems odd that you'd buy from Avatar or the like when you are a builder yourself....Or do you have to be of a certain size to buy in bulk?

I've been casually looking at getting a couple new cabs (unloaded). At the moment Splawns, Mathers and Avatars are leading the pack, but I always feel like I wouldn't like Avatars, and I HATE HATE HATE that the Marshall style 4x12 (Vintage series) only come in the wheat grill cloth. Mathers are the cheapest, but the baffles aren't complete circles for their speakers. They leave a center bar in each speaker, like a beam blocker of sorts...Don't know how I'd like that.

Avatar is selling 4 for $378 right now, and add $29 for shipping = $407. Celestion is increasing their prices in the US next week, and Dave(from Avatar) told me they would be an additional $10 per V30.

That's where I got the $450 from :)

Kinda sucks, Celestions are already overpriced anyway.

ahh gotcha

thought i might've known a way to help increase your margin a little, but guess not

Mathers are the cheapest, but the baffles aren't complete circles for their speakers. They leave a center bar in each speaker, like a beam blocker of sorts...Don't know how I'd like that.

I'm pretty sure that's just an option that you can have, but isn't on all of their cabinets. There are pictures on the site of 4x12's that definitely don't have those beam blockers!

If you are a builder, is there no place you can buy wholesale speakers? Seems odd that you'd buy from Avatar or the like when you are a builder yourself....Or do you have to be of a certain size to buy in bulk?

Avatar does sell at the wholesale price, which is why they can't list the price on their website. My distributer sells to me at cost as well, but thier shipping is much more than Avatar charges.

I'm curious to hear one of these. My current cabs are 15" deep...I can't imagine going any shallower these days, haha.

I can make them as deep as anyone wants, It was just the wood I had on hand that made it come out to be 13.5". I was shooting for 14.5", but I didn't take into account the loss from the glue joint on both pieces of hardwood. The router bit takes quite a bit of wood off and then they get interlaced together.

So I'll just go an inch wider on one of the boards next time, I should have no problem hitting the 14.5/15 inch goal. If the buyer wants a 18 inch deep cab, I can accommodate that as well :p But width and height will remain the same, since my baltic birch supplier has the boards in perfect cut 30x30 pieces.

One things for sure, it sounds much better than my Ubercab. It's a night and day difference, and I think I can safely say it's because of the hardwood.

Have you looked into Warehouse Guitar Speakers (WGS)? A few years ago, as a dealer you could get the Veteran 30's for $40 a piece. I think their prices have jumped since then. Hell when they first started you could buy those from them for around $20. damn.

Have you looked into Warehouse Guitar Speakers (WGS)? A few years ago, as a dealer you could get the Veteran 30's for $40 a piece. I think their prices have jumped since then. Hell when they first started you could buy those from them for around $20. damn.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the warehouse speakers. There is just something the V30 has that the clone doesn't. If a customer wants them though, they can get em and the price will reflect it.

What kind of difference does the depth make?

Not much at that small of a difference. But when you start getting into a few inches, you are adding/subtracting a lot of internal volume which will change how the speakers react. Usually decreasing the volume will decrease the lower frequency emphasis a bit. With 4x12 guitar cabs air volume doesn't make a huge difference unlike hifi cabinets, studio monitors, and subwoofer enclosures. In those applications, volumes need to be dead on or the speaker won't work how it was designed to.

Hence why you don't see much info on the Q, Vas, Qts, Xmax, etc of guitar speakers.

Oh and I took the Hellfire over to Cole Martinez's studio today, he seemed to like it a lot.

The thing I hear most from people that play it- 'Man, it sure sounds better than my 5150'
Literally have heard that from 10 different people.