WOLVERINE confirmed for ProgPower Europe 2008, playing 2 sets!

renejanssen

Apr 19, 2005
Baarlo, The Netherlands
www.progpower.eu
Hi,

We are proud to confirm the return of WOLVERINE to ProgPower Europe once more. This year it will be very special, WOLVERINE will do 2 sets. On Sunday 5 October 2008 the band will do a regular setlist of 1 hour (Threshold is the headliner). But on Friday 3 October WOLVERINE will do a special performance at ProgPower Europe only, than the band will do the setlist of 1999! As you probably know WOLVERINE is the band that opened the first ProgPower festival ever, so we are proud they will come back at our 10th anniversary to play the setlist of 1999 once more. Be sure not to miss it because this is going to be something very special.

www.progpower.eu

Rene Janssen
ProgPower Europe organization

I am so, so incredibly jealous of anyone who manages to go to this festival! 2 sets! I practically passed out from frustration when I read that:lol: If only I had the money to travel that far, never mind pay for the tickets.
Any idea if Wolverine will be returning to the UK at any point? A girl can hope...

The line-up is complete now:

Friday 3 October
(doors open 18.30)
PAGAN’S MIND (nor) : 22.00-00.00
ATROX (nor) : 20.25-21.25
DIVISION BY ZERO (pol) : 19.00-20.00

Saturday 4 October
(doors open 13.00)
CYNIC (usa) : 21.45-23.15
ZERO HOUR (usa) : 20.10-21.10
ALARUM (aus) : 18.25-19.40
WOLVERINE (swe, *) : 16.30-17.15
SUN CAGED (hol) : 15.05-16.05
CILICE (hol) : 13.45-14.40

Sunday 5 October
(doors open 13.00)
THRESHOLD (uk) : 21.30-23.30
WOLVERINE (swe, **) : 19.55-20.55
MYRATH (tun): 18.30-19.30
SUSPYRE (usa) : 16.30-17.30
PATHOSRAY (it) : 15.05-16.05
21 EYES OF RUBY (hol) : 13.45-14.40

(*) Setlist of 1999, when Wolverine opened the first ProgPower edition ever
(**) Regular setlist of these days

Details and ticket info: http://www.progpower.eu/

I just wanted to let you know that we rehearsed both sets this past weekend and we had a blast. It was so much fun rediscovering the old songs. The only song we don't play from Fervent Dream is Echoes but I really hope we can play that as well in the near future. The songs are in a lot of ways very immature but at the same time filled with so much passion of playing and experimenting.

Anyway, I can't wait to get down to The Netherlands and do the shows. Hopefully we'll see many of you down there! It's a great festival so I strongly recommend you to buy a ticket and visit Baarlo!

No bass for me. We actually thought about me playing one song on bass but we decided we should do all in our power to have all the songs sound as good as they possibly can and that means no Stefan on the bass. :)

Thomas, Per and Marcus are rehearsing bass, keyboards and bass as we speak and tomorrow we'll all get together again for two days of rehearsals. Can't wait!

Yesterday we played the "old" set. Unfortunately we had to cut it one song short because of a tight time schedule. That combined with the fact that we got really stressed before the gig (also because of the tight time schedule) made it hard to get into the "groove". On top of this we also had problems with the sound on stage... It's a pity since we had such high hopes for this gig.

On the other hand, we got play most of the songs and it was cool to see that people knew the lyrics and sang along. We'll definitely incorporate these old songs into our regular set in the future.

For me personally it was kind of tricky to be a part of the show because of the short vocal parts I have on the old material. It tends to be wrtten in a way that I sing a short part, like a chorus or so, and then it's two or three minutes of Marcus growls and instrumental passages. I always walk off stage during those parts simply because I have nothing to do and I would just look like a fool if I tried to get people clap their hands when the time signatures change every other second... :) The newer songs are more based on my vocals so the set we play tonight will be easier to do in that sense.

No matter what we (or anyone else for that matter) think of the gig last night it was one of the most important gigs we've ever made. I am going to be honest with you: I had actually told the other guys a while back that I was quitting the band. We have always been a struggling band in a lot of ways. We've put out, what we think, a few solid quality albums but never really enjoyed and great commercial success. It's been pretty frustrating for us at times as you might understand. At the same time we've always been struggling within the band to get our material together. The process of writing and recording an album is for us a painful experience in many ways. On the other hand, I am sure that these internal struggles is what makes the material great in the end. Everything gets filtered through 5 strong wills so the final product has gained a lot in quality by our struggles.

As you might have read at our website, my daughter Freya was born with a heartcondition that requires surgery so the past 6 months, while being the best 6 months of my life, has always been the 6 most painful months of my life. Her problems combined with the fact that we're in that painful process of writing an album plus that many of the other guys want to go away on tours that last several weeks made me decide I had to quit. I simply didn't have the energy for our internal struggles and I definitely didn't feel like leaving Freya and Jamina (my wife) alone for several weeks as long as Freya isn't healthy. Then the rehersals for the PP-shows started...

Playing the old songs made me realize how much I love the band and what got me started in the first place. The joy of playing that I find in the old material made me re-evaluate my situation. This led us in the band to sit down and talk things through. We decided to continue the band because we love the band and we love playing the music we create. During the past few weeks we've (Jamina and I) also gained a bit more control of Freya's situation and everything looks very good for the future although her surgery has yet to happen. The band did however agree not to do more than one off gigs until next summer and not go away on tours (if any were offered to us) and that convinced me to stay with the band. I can honestly say I feel more optimistic about the future than I've felt in a long time! So here's for the future of Wolverine! :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

Hey Stefan,

I heard the rumours, but i didn't wanted to bring it up yesterday as it was such a great day....good to see you continue with the thing you like so much.
All the best to you and your family, talk to you soon!

H.

That's awesome news Stefan!
I really enjoyed both shows, but I have seen you live so many times now so the "Wow-factor" is maybe a bit lost... BUT, hearing "Sleepy Town" live for the first time really was a "Halleluljah moment" :)
Wish we would have had more time to talk and party, but it is as it is...
Hope to see you soon again! I'll send you the pics when I'm ready with them.