WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM, black folk metal in vein of Weakling..

While I disagree that Agalloch was NEVER close to Black Metal in any form, I would never put them in the USBM catagory or use black metal to label them either. [/offthetrainaswell]

I pretty much figured there would be some words about Agalloch and black metal.

My only point was that both Wolves and Agalloch have produced two of the finest albums of the darker variety in the USA. I know Agalloch doesn't exactly sound black metal, but I was in a hurry and I didn't feel like trying to equate the two bands in some stupid, desperate fashion.

The two bands sound different, but they are similar in atmosphere.

Wow I can't wait to hear the CD. I'm ripping it to MP3 as we speak so I can throw it on the iPod. I was surprised that 2 out of the 3 songs are from the demo....so I'm just curious as to how different they are on the 'final product' especially with Jamie from Hammers providing vocals too. Cannot wait.

By the way Nate, you have heard Weakling right?

more like Wolves, by FAR. Not really similar to Leviathan at all, actually.

Wolves >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Weakling (because they are so incredibly overrated, although still pretty good)

Ellestin said:
Just fetched my copy out of the mail. Kudos to Joseph's wife for blitzkrieg shipment!

Man I'll be castrated if it's not going to make the next RC milestones list...

she says thank you :) If shes not fast i dont get her kinder suprises!

A few discussion points....

1 - How are WEAKLING overrated? It's a bit flippant to suggest that isn't it? Are they discussed / glorified a lot outside of this forum? I'm honestly curious. The only reason why I even know who Weakling are is because on Aquarius Records, if you search for SLOUGH FEG, you get THE FUCKING CHAMPS. And of course that leads back to Tim and WEAKLING. I wouldn't even know about them otherwise.

2 - My only gripe with WEAKLING is the vocals. I'm not a big fan of howling vocals (although as I said in a different thread, it works well with HELHEIM). Go figure. Otherwise, the WEAKLING album is better than 85% of most modern black metal, no? I mean, seriously, that is a FAIR statement is it not? So isn't some of the applause well deserved? I would say it is!

3 - The WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM album is near identical to the demo (aside from "Face in a Night Time Mirror parts 1 & 2" being on the release instead of "Dagger of Amethyst Crystal" -- which IMO is better than "Face..." but whatever, it's all fucken solid music). Even the production is near identical, which is probably a reflection of Tim mixing/mastering both album and demo perhaps? Of course, the main difference is the presence of Jamie Myers from HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE -- I think her involvement on "Queen of the Borrowed Light" actually improves the song from how it was on the demo.

So for me, I'm not sure where I stand with the WOLVES album right now simply because the only new material to judge is "Face in a Night Time Mirror". I guess I was hoping for brand new material, but otherwise I'm in a situation of 'been there done that' because I've been listening to this stuff since last summer.

'Tis all good though!! :kickass:

If Joseph needs help promoting a tour with both WOLVES and LUDICRA, this is where RC should step up to the plate IMO.

JayKeeley said:
A few discussion points....

1 - How are WEAKLING overrated? It's a bit flippant to suggest that isn't it? Are they discussed / glorified a lot outside of this forum? I'm honestly curious. The only reason why I even know who Weakling are is because on Aquarius Records, if you search for SLOUGH FEG, you get THE FUCKING CHAMPS. And of course that leads back to Tim and WEAKLING. I wouldn't even know about them otherwise.

Well, people make a big fucking deal about them. I've seen all kinds of posts on this website over the year(s) hailing as the best BM-oriented US release ever, and crap like that. People say it's ABSOLUTELY essential and just an incredibly rewarding experience all round. Personally I just don't agree. The vocals suck, honestly, and the CD is just not that good. 7/10 at the absolute best... maybe it's not my style or something, but it's sub-par and very "meh" in a lot of places.

Yeah definitely. Just my personal thoughts on that release...

Sailboat.jpg