Working Man circa 1996

dorian gray

Returning videotapes
Apr 8, 2004
man, im listening to this album for the first time in like 5 years. fucking james murphy has a couple ridiculous solos.
there are some amazing musicians on this piece. although, amusing to me, 10 years after it came out, i finally agree with neal pearts comment. he said something about it being a compilation of bar bands. haha. that pissed me off back in the day because i wanted to lick mike portnoys butt.
years later, i couldnt give two shits about dream theater and i realize what he was saying. compared to rush, most of the guys on this album literally *are* "bar bands". great whites singer is on it. hahaha
oh well. i just wondered if anybody has this and what they think.

its a cool album. well, if you like rush that is. one can get sick of the lack of heaviness in rushs music. this is the antidote. there really are some good people on there. james murphy like i said and devin townsend. but whatever, you have to like those guys too i guess.

rush does indeed rule. so does james murphy. did i mention james murphy is on this album?

haha, forgot sebastian bach is on this album. bar bands indeed. although sebastian bach rules

Peart's comment is still lame. I cant imagine what he was thinking when he said it, and i still cant believe that he actually said such a dumb thing. He could express his thoughts in a more Peart-ish way.
The bands and artists that participate on the album are all very good, and some just brilliant. Of course noone can reproduce Rush's music and its emotions, but it is an enjoyable cd.

he apologized for the comment.
but, come on, lets be honest. compared to rush's compliments, they really are bar bands. i mean, ive seen some of them live......in bars.

dorian gray said:
compared to rush's compliments, they really are bar bands. i mean, ive seen some of them live......in bars.
Well the fact that they play in bars doesnt say anything.
And what kind of bands would Peart want in a tribute album about Rush....Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin?

I think magna carta has put out quite a few tribute albums by now, so I might have this one confused with another, but isn't there a lot of crap in the liner notes about how they were really unsure of whether or not to make this album. Like, someone REALLY wanted to make this happen, but they really were worried of the negative reaction it would cause, but for some reason, felt it was really necessary in the end to put it out.

I picked this one up when it came out, and never really could stand to listen to it. It has some cool tracks, but really it's more of a novelty thing, and I don't see why anyone would want to listen to it other than for the factor of who is actually playing on there.

magna carta released another one this year. it was actually reviewed on UM by an RC regular. i just cant remember who it was