Do you have a number one album of all time?

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
Can you name just one album that is by far your favorite? No top 10, no ties for first, just one single album. (Thread inspired by Markgugs in the Queensryche thread.)

Tool - ÆNIMA

This is the greatest album of all time. I purchased it the day it came out in 1996, and it took 3 years in my possession (with countless listenings) to become numero uno. Even with literally thousands of hours spent listening and focusing on this album, I still notice new things about it. I'm also a trivia buff concerning it, so ask away if you dare. :p

:Spin:

NAD said:
Can you name just one album that is by far your favorite?

No. :)

Do you mean 'metal' album, or best album from all genres? Can it be a live album or just studio albums? It's tough to single out, but here goes:

Best 'Metal' albums:

1 - Powerslave - Maiden
2 - Op Mindcrime - Queensryche
3 - Chemical Wedding - Bruce Dickinson

I list three because they can be interchanged. Screw your rules NAD. :tickled:

Best Live albums:

1 - Live After Death - Maiden
2 - Tribute - Ozzy Osbourne

Best Non-Metal album:

Probably OK Computer - Radiohead, but there could be 100 others including stuff from the Beatles etc etc

DISCLAIMER: This post is allowed to be edited forever and a day.

Well I'm glad that SOMEBODY followed the rules! :D

I mean just number one album EVER. Screw genres, screw album length, studio, live, demo, whatever. So in other words Ali, your answer is NO, you can't name just one. :lol:

DISCLAIMER: This post is allowed to be edited forever and a day.
Absofreakinlutely!

You guys are tough! I like the top 3 albums approach. See - even our Erik did that, hehehe.

@Mark - getting smashed eh? Muwahahaha! I tell ya, you're going to love the juke box in the pub.

I cannot pick one album, but today, if I picked one out of the three I listed, it would be Powerslave.

By the way, this sounds cheesy, but I choose albums on more than just the music you know what I mean? Each album has something significant for me, from a certain timeframe etc.

I saw Erik's post after I had my rant and starting shaking my fist violently at all the rule-breakers around here, then after 0.27 seconds the moment passed. Like I really expect my threads to go in the direction I intend them for after the Morbid Angel fiasco? :lol:

Favorite metal album:
Megadeth - Rust in Peace

Favorite live album:
Slayer - Decade Of Aggression

Favorite album to bring my spirits up:
Life of Agony - River Runs Red

Favorite non-metal album:
Supertramp - Crime of the Century

Favorite album that I hate:
Limp Bizkit - Significant other

Favorite album to listen to while stoned:
Nine Inch Nails - Broken
(it will SERIOUSLY trip you out)

Favorite album to listen to while drunk:
Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss

Favorite album that everyone makes fun of me for listening to:
Rush - Moving Pictures
(my own mother actually called me gay for listening to this once :tickled: )

If I had to pick a #1 it would be Opeth - Morningrise

An album that will forever stand the test of time for me personally. I cannot even begin to describe the impact that album has had on my life.

Other metal albums that have had huge meaningful impacts on my life include:

In Flames - The Jester Race (Opened up worlds of extreme music for me and is still my favorite melodic death metal album of all time).

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime (One of 2 albums that came to my rescue so many times during my high school years. I still hear the echoes of My Empty Room into the beginning of Eyes of a Stranger.)

Metallica - Ride the Lightning (The other one. The simple yet crushing intro to For Whom The Bell Tolls still gives me chills to this day.)

Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind (Hearing Revelations on the current U.S. tour was an amazing experience. This album as a whole is just as amazing.)

Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Parts 1 and 2 (Bought these two albums together after hearing "I Want Out" on Headbanger's Ball. Though "I Want Out" received MTV airplay, these guys still led to my discovery of the underground metal scene in the early 90's).

Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk (An atmospheric, captivating black metal masterpiece. I never realized prior to discovering this that anything so extreme could be so genuine and meaningful.)

And there are so many other current gems out there that continue to make me realize just how important metal is to my life. From Dew Scented to Agalloch to Green Carnation and beyond, the future looks to be just as promising. But the true impact can never be the same as the one felt by the albums that provided much of the foundation for who I am today. At least in a musical sense.