World Exclusive! Scott Ian Talks About Dan Nelson’s Departure! w/Metal Hammer

Scott pulled that shit with every single one of their singers, really. When Belladonna was first in the band, all of a sudden, Neil Turbin sucked and Belladonna was perfect. He screwed all of their singers in one way or another. And I agree with your last statement, John really should just tell Scott and Charlie to gtfo. This band doesn't really deserve saving after all the dick-ish things they've done. They've had way too many chances.

ever been in love? more than once? feel like the newest love is better in ways than than the last? its simple.

Recent sign up to the board? Location: Long Island? Me thinks a friend of said former vocalist...

Or his name is King Larry. You have to delve a bit deeper Johnny. Dan has a bit more class than to post cheap crap like that, sorry.

Here you go DA:

In a world exclusive, Scott Ian has spoken to Metal Hammer about vocalist Dan Nelson’s departure from Anthrax! Get your Sonisphere tickets here!

As the controversy continues to rage over the parting between Anthrax and vocalist Dan Nelson, the big questions remain unresolved: was the singer pushed – as he claims? Or did he jump – as the band insist? Moreover, was he so ill that Anthrax had to cancel dates on their planned European tour? Or was this a smokescreen for something altogether more cynical, as Nelson himself has publicly commented. In an exclusive interview with Metal Hammer, Scott Ian has said:

“We stand by every word in our official statement. Because all we’ve done is make public exactly what Dan told us. He certainly was not fired – he quit the band, and we accepted his resignation. As for those comments about being fit to go on the road, and that we pulled the tour for other reasons…since Charlie (Benante, drums) join us in 1983, we’ve only ever cancelled one gig. That was in Düsseldorf in 1987, when Charlie was running a really high fever, and we had to send him to London for treatment. When we didn’t make it onto the plane to go to Sweden recently, to start our European run of dates, it went against every molecule in my body, and the same goes for the rest of the band.

“As a band, we learnt a long time ago that in these situations, it’s always best to tell the truth, If you lie, then it comes back to bite you in the ass. That’s why we were careful at every step to put things exactly the way Dan had told them to us. Why has he changed his story now? I can only assume it’s to save his own skin, and to avoid being seen as the bad guy. I can’t say that I blame him. But we have absolutely been completely truthful.”

Ed Trunk, a DJ on New Radio station Q104.3 and an old friend of the band, claimed a couple of days ago that anyone who’d seen Anthrax play at the Rocklahoma Festival on July 9 couldn’t fail to notice there was friction onstage between the band and Nelson. Ian is forced to agree with this analysis.

“Ed’s been a friend of ours for 25 years; there are few people closer to Anthrax. So when he says he could spot problems…well, I can’t deny it. In fact, things were weird between Dan and us from December. I’d love to say a lot more, and I will as soon as I’m able, but right now, I just cannot go into any further detail.”
With the exception of one show, the band have now pulled all their European commitments, and also the Summer American tour planned with Slipknot and The Black Dahlia Murder. The sole remaining date is at the Sonisphere Festival, Knebworth Park on August 1. For this event, Anthrax will be joined by John Bush, the vocalist who spent 12 years with them from 1992, in what is being billed as a one-off performance.

“We were hoping to do the Wacken Festival in Germany the previous day as well, but the scheduling didn’t work out. As it is, John’s had to change a lot of things around in his life to get to Sonisphere, and we’re very grateful to him.

“He was the first guy we called when the whole thing went down with Dan. And all of us are delighted that he can do this gig – it’ll be great fun. Obviously, our set will be different to the one we’d worked out with Dan. It’ll be more oriented towards the Bush era, although still concentrating on our most popular songs. That’s what a festival crowd expects.”

So, in the back of his mind, is Ian hoping that this show might lead to something more permanent with Bush?

“It’s not in the back of my mind – it’s right at the front of it. When our reunion tour with Joe Belladonna and Dan Spitz finished in 2007, we (Ian, Benante and bassist Frank Bello) wanted both John and (guitarist) Rob Caggiano to come back. Well, Rob returned but not John. Now, though, we’ve Sonisphere to look forward to with him.

“I love working with John, and I know I speak for everyone involved with Anthrax – the band and the fans – when I say that the best thing for us would for this to turn into a long-term relationship. But I don’t want to jump the gun. Let’s see how things go at Sonisphere, and take it from there.”

Anthrax, of course, have a new album virtually finished and ready to go. Or, at least they did have. Worship Music was due out at the end of October on Nuclear Blast. But now, everything’s back in the melting pot.

“Until we have a new singer, I can’t tell you what will happen to the record. We’ll probably change a few things on it, including the vocals. However, nothing’s been decided, expect that the release date will go back, possibly to next year.

“All I can say in conclusion is that it’s been a really interesting time to be in Anthrax!”

Anthrax will play at Sonisphere on August 1st with former vocalist John Bush! Check out our Youtube collection of Anthrax/John Bush moments here and all other Metal Hammer Anthrax news!

Sonisphere will be headlined by Metallica and Linkin Park and will take place on August 1st - 2nd at Knebworth. Also on the bill will be Heaven & Hell, Nine Inch Nails, Bullet For My Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold, Lamb Of God, Alice In Chains, Mastodon, Anthrax, Airbourne, Corey Taylor and Killing Joke.

Click here for all your latest Sonisphere news.

Get your Sonisphere tickets here!

John Bush has too much class to go back. I hope, anyway. And this comes from a former diehard 'Thrax fan who preferred the Bush era.

I wouldn't believe Scott Ian if he told me the sun was hot.

They've managed to make a mockery of a legendary metal band. That's terribly sad.

it goes the way it goes. Lead Singer changes aside, there are some big things that just seemed to go wrong, and a big one way beyond their control. The Anthrax chemical scare.

Just as bad as that serial killer in the late 70's early 80's donning the AC/DC cap making white-bread America think that AC/DC supported a serial killer.