Another New Dan Nelson Interview

The_Great_WV_Trendkill

Los Loser 4 life
Dec 26, 2004
www.myspace.com
Malcolm Dome of Classic Rock magazine recently conducted an interview with former ANTHRAX frontman Dan Nelson. The question-and-answer session follows below.

Classic Rock: Let's start with the claim from ANTHRAX that they had to cancel some shows earlier this year, because you told them you were seriously ill.

Dan Nelson: Not true. I never said anything like that. The band decided to pull those dates, and then tried to blame me. I was ready to play the summer shows in Europe and do the SLIPKNOT tour in America after that.

Classic Rock: ANTHRAX guitarist Scott Ian says that you quit the band, and they accepted your resignation. Is that what happened?

Dan Nelson: I did not quit ANTHRAX. They fired me, and I only found out about it on the internet.

Classic Rock: Why did they do that? Was there an obvious problem between you and the rest of the band?

Dan Nelson: Not that I was aware of. I thought things were going really well. A lot of people commented that this was the best ANTHRAX lineup they'd ever seen. Scott himself said I was the best singer he'd worked with — bar none. So, I don't know what was in their minds. I haven't spoken to any of them since July anyway.

Classic Rock: How do you feel now about the band?

Dan Nelson: Look, I'm not at all bitter, and I hold no grudges. It's their band and they have a right to do whatever they want. I genuinely wish them nothing but success. They're family men who made a career decision, and I hope ANTHRAX gone on to great things. I feel what they now have to do is get back with John Bush — it's the best option for them.

Classic Rock: What happens to "Worship Music", the album you recorded with them? Will it ever come out?

Dan Nelson: I don't know. I hope so, because I really think it's a strong record. But nothing can happen with it without my permission. I co-wrote all the songs on it, mostly with Charlie [Benante, drums].

Classic Rock: You've now moved on, and have a new project with TESTAMENT drummer Paul Bostaph. How did that come about?

Dan Nelson: Paul saw me playing with ANTHRAX in Amsterdam earlier in the year, and when he heard I was free, he contacted me. We met up, and things have gone from there.

Classic Rock: What's the style of the band?

Dan Nelson: It's thrashy and heavy, so will appeal to ANTHRAX and TESTAMENT fans. But has the groove and brutality of PANTERA, and is also very melodic. The guitarist is a kid from the Bay Area named Jeremy Epp, who's an unknown, but sensational. People are gonna love him. We're currently auditioning bassists, and once we have the right person in place, we'll get ourselves a name, demo some songs and take it from there.

Source

Who do we believe?

I think Dan Nelson is a down-to-earth guy, but he's young and maybe he was a bit pretentious in any moment, or John Bush phone called the band and they fired the new guy at the moment...

anyway, better for Anthrax (if John returns), and better for Dan and his new project. Good luck for him.

I think Dan Nelson is a down-to-earth guy, but he's young and maybe he was a bit pretentious in any moment, or John Bush phone called the band and they fired the new guy at the moment...

anyway, better for Anthrax (if John returns), and better for Dan and his new project. Good luck for him.

I doubt John called. He's too classy to ask for his job back when they already had a singer, costing said singer his job. That definatly didn't happen, period.
Plus we still have no confirmation that he's back for good, so I doubt that's the case.

Nelson: "Scott himself said I was the best singer he'd worked with — bar none."

I bet Scott also said that with Fallon, Turbin, Joey and more recently Bush. I'm a huge Anthrax fan but I gotta admit they really know how to do their singers dirty.

It seems Dan is not bitter - I remember Bush saying the same thing in '07, who knows maybe we'll seem him on stage with Anthrax again in the future again... sharing a stage doesn't necessarily mean he's a full time member though...