worth buying basses

Yeah I paid a little extra and got the amber burst cause its pretty haha. I love love LOVE MM pickups in the bridge, such a unique sound. I actually prefer this one without the neck pickup active. Lots of growl and lowend but plenty of clarity.

Wish I could post clips, but literally the day I got it, I went to record some samples and figured out my SSL converters had randomly taken a crap and now I need to send them in for repair :'(

I wonder how one would sound in the neck position... Of course some slight routing would have to happen. Can't wait!

If you want something that you can plug in and just works right away, get a Precision.
I got the Mexican Roger Waters signature one and its my favourite for recording.

It can really only do one sound, but for some reason it just works on everything.
The guy at my local music store explained it like this:
"Right, well, its got two settings this bass. small cock and BIG COCK"

I have to say I just recorded a band that used my mex precision with a duncan 1/4 pounder for bass, run in to a sansamp that sounded like the absolute definition of "Apocalyptic Tractor Grind" to me!

I'd just go for the Squier VM Jazz if you're going that route. The last time I tried one, I put it up against the MIMs and MIAs that were much more expensive and IMO, it outshines the MIMs and while the MIAs were higher quality, they only sounded maybe 10% better and they were a grand or more expensive.

I'd just go for the Squier VM Jazz if you're going that route. The last time I tried one, I put it up against the MIMs and MIAs that were much more expensive and IMO, it outshines the MIMs and while the MIAs were higher quality, they only sounded maybe 10% better and they were a grand or more expensive.

Seriously? Some people say that even the mexican annihilates the squier VM. Others say that it´s almost the same shit. It makes a bit hard deciding what´s better, of course I am not interested in paying the double to not hearing something significative.

Seriously? Some people say that even the mexican annihilates the squier VM. Others say that it´s almost the same shit. It makes a bit hard deciding what´s better, of course I am not interested in paying the double to not hearing something significative.

The Mexican Jazz felt like a piece of shit compared to the Squier VM *shrug*

You could always try rondomusic.com I'm on the fence with their Douglas Sculptor 5. Looks solid and has an active Jazz and what looks like a MM pickup.

HRdrummer thanks for the sugestion but I had 2 basses with active pickups and didnt like it at all. This time I am going to passive ones.

I'll second the opinion that the Squier VM beats out the mexican Fender. Never had a bad sounding SVM at a gig but I've heard plenty of shitty Fenders.

I've used some really underwhelming and very poorly finished Fender USA instruments and some pretty good Mexican ones and vice-versa for the record.

Quality control seems to have been a major issue for at least the two last decades.

On the other hand I must say recent Squier Classic Vibe series are pretty stunning considering the price.

So in the end, Fender, Squier, USA, Mexican, Korean, and even Chinese, it doesn't really matter, you need to try it first.

Japanese Fender are relatively consistently well manufactured though.