Worth of a Saxon LP?

Occultor

Versus the world
Nov 2, 2003
Stockholm, SWE
Visit site
Hiya.
First of all. I'm not into Saxon, but I like the CD Solid Ball of Rock.

Anyway, I were looking through my fathers LP-collection yesterday, and found Saxon - Innocence is no Excuse

Just wondering, is this a good record? And could it be of any worth?
thank you.

hi i think its alot of worth, i beleive it was there second album with EMI after Rock the nations (not 100% sure though , others here may correct me! lol) but it has some wonderful tracks,,,,,,,, including Broken heroes, rock n roll gypsy, devil rides out, Rokin again, and the classic back on the streets again (12 inch a must) all i can say is listen to it if you got it there infront of you! to me it was there come back album and saying to Carre records, stuff you!

Quick correction for you, It was their first album with EMI as Rock the Nations came after.
It does have some great songs like Broken Heroes (a classic), but side two is probably one of Saxons poorest sides to an album. Apart from Broken Heroes it's a bit crap really, Saxon by numbers.
As regards to it's value it's not worth a lot. You can often pick it up in second hand shops for about £5.
Good but nothing spectacular.

Black Lagoon said:
Quick correction for you, It was their first album with EMI as Rock the Nations came after.
It does have some great songs like Broken Heroes (a classic), but side two is probably one of Saxons poorest sides to an album. Apart from Broken Heroes it's a bit crap really, Saxon by numbers.
As regards to it's value it's not worth a lot. You can often pick it up in second hand shops for about £5.
Good but nothing spectacular.

I agree with Black Lagoon side 1 are to me all 5 good songs, side 2 is the weakest side 2 ever apart from Broken Heroes (Indeed a classic!) and I also like 'gonna shout' And..............I like the girl on the cover, who is that nice madamme?

greetings heavy celli

Yeah side 2 is a bit shit.But to me they made up for it with Rock The Naitions wich I think is much better.Hmmm that should set the cat among the pigeons.

WILKS said:
Yeah side 2 is a bit shit.But to me they made up for it with Rock The Naitions wich I think is much better.QUOTE]

Get out of here Wilks. Innocence wins just because it has one complete side of good tracks, where Rock the Nations doesn't.
However I know my brother will agree with you.

Black Lagoon said:
WILKS said:
Yeah side 2 is a bit shit.But to me they made up for it with Rock The Naitions wich I think is much better.QUOTE]

Get out of here Wilks. Innocence wins just because it has one complete side of good tracks, where Rock the Nations doesn't.
However I know my brother will agree with you.

Rock The Nations is an album with good songs. Side one is O.K.
Side two: I love very much the song "empty promises" The only shit on this album is Elt. John wit that Party till you puke (I really puked after that song!) and I hate Northern Lady! When they had stripped this 2 songs and they had replaced it by 2 better songs, for example songs like "gonna shout" from the Innocense-album and rock and roll gypsys. then it would have been a good album as a whole! But I must agree with Black lagoon Inoscense is for me better than rock the nations.

But I have to say, that de recording quality of Rock the Nations sounds better than on Innoscense is my opinion. Rock the nations souns more 'live' to me, a brighter sound..

I think side one is one the best sides Saxon have ever done.The tittle track is as good as any opening track .Then to follow it up with Battlecry and Waiting For The night.Then its Saxon classic that seems to always gets overlooked by fans We came here to rock.As for side 2 party til you puke is the only week point but its still great fun.I love this album and thinks thats why I hate the follow up so much.

WILKS said:
I think side one is one the best sides Saxon have ever done.The tittle track is as good as any opening track .Then to follow it up with Battlecry and Waiting For The night.Then its Saxon classic that seems to always gets overlooked by fans We came here to rock.As for side 2 party til you puke is the only week point but its still great fun.I love this album and thinks thats why I hate the follow up so much.

HI Wilks, you mean the destiny album.
A
- Ride like the wind (good cover!)
-Where the lightening strikes (well done, but too slow and to much repeating)
-I cant wait anymore (good text, too slow, not heavy enough)
-Calm before the Storm (Always reminds me of whitesnake, the inner solo looks like a part from the Whitesnake-album-song, "fool for yore loving no more", and then comes the solo I mean (Maybe someone does understand whar I mean?). Very familiar simulair solo. ( maybe unconcious plagiat, but sounds well, so I don't mind)
-S.O.S (good song, but as with many somgs on this album I hate those second voice backinground (And the orchester played, as they slipped all away"...puke, puke,puke!)and that synthesyser fuck-sound.
B
- Song for Emma (I like the tragic sounding solo..)
-For whom the bell tolls (I like this one, but after 3 times its hgets boring to me)
-We are strong (Nice, but again that @#$%^& synthesyser.
-Jericho siren ( acceptabel)
-Red Alert (good song)

So far

gr Heavy Celli

Oh No! He mentioned the D album!!!

Although Red Alert is a top song and why the fnuck wasnt SOS used in that lame film not so long ago anyway? better than Silly dion.

I think both A sides on Innocense and Rock the Nations are really good, and both B sides are pretty weak. Destiny on the other hand is pretty consistent all the way through. Now, whether you think that is consistently s**t, or good is up to you! :lol:

Paxoman said:
I think both A sides on Innocense and Rock the Nations are really good, and both B sides are pretty weak. Destiny on the other hand is pretty consistent all the way through. Now, whether you think that is consistently s**t, or good is up to you! :lol:

To all the above..that's what I like about saxon-fans: They are very honest in their critisism, they say what they have to say, what's on their heart. You know what I mean... Thats the recipy of Saxon, critical fans, hardcore following never letting the masters down in combination with good musicians! Saxon as a whole is good, capis? That is just splendid and the way it's good. I look forward to the new Saxon album. I got my DVD-player after a long time, now it's time to get 1 or 2 DVD's from Saxon so I can enjoy the history again during Weihnachten/Christmas, with a good glas of wine in the hands or a good pint of beer, o.k!

gr Heavycelli

cheers!

Reactions: CRUSADER747
Innocence is no Excuse, it good, but not great (great front cover, though)
Rock The Nations is the worst they ever produced, I heardly listen to it
But since you like Solid Ball of Rock (nice record, not all) you'll probably like Innocence is no Excuse too since they're both from later in
I love the first 6 most!

I love Innocence Is No Excuse, Rock the Nation's and even Destiny!!!
Even though they are quite commercial and not as "heavy" as other Saxon album's, there are always two or three "killer track's". I.E. On Innocence there's "Call Of The Wild", "broken heroes", "devil ride's out" and "everybody up". On Rock The Nation's there's "battle cry", "we came here to rock", "waiting for the night", and of course the title track. On Destiny there's "ride like the wind", "for whom the bell toll's" "jericho siren" and "red alert".

Saxon albums are really hard to get here, so I downloaded Destiny a while back. Anyway the version of I cant wait anymore I downloaded has no synth on it. I recently bought some saxon greatest hits cd and the version on that of I cant wait anymore had the synths and it makes it really, really cheesy sounding.

So yes, Saxon should remix the album without synths...