New Saxon fan, and I need help!

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
I've been into metal for over 20 years. I have over 1,600 CDs.
I've only just NOW learned of Saxon! I've heard the name, of course, but never the music. For some odd reason, they've always fallen below my radar.

Anyway, lately I've been rediscovering many of the classic bands and albums from the very early 80s.....the period before commericialization & cheese and "fluff" soiled 80s metal.

So, I've been reading reviews & seeking out "new" bands from that era. After reading some glowing reviews of a few of the classic Saxon records, I decided to jump in & buy one (Denim & Leather).

I immediately loved it!! Great melody! Although the riffs & songwriting can be seen as "simple", the sense of melody is overwhelming!

So, I decided that since I have one of their classic era discs, it would be a good idea to pick up discs from the bands other "eras".
This weekend, I purchased "Innocence is No Excuse" (from their pop-cheese era) and "Killing Ground" from the current era.

First, Killing Ground is simply a great record. Again, great melodies & a sense of "no bullshit" prevail. In some ways, the songs can almost be viewed as "been there done that", as if other bands have done this same thing before. BUT, the melody & the "sing a long" choruses are just intoxicating!!
As for "Innocence", I was pleasantly surprised! Although there is the cheesy commerical vice, the song writing is still of high quality, something that you just cant say for most commercial cheese-metal albums!
"Rockin Again" and "Broken Heroes" are great songs!!

So, my question is this:
- where do I go from here? Which Saxon CDs should I pick up next?

- Is "Rock the Nations" or "Destiny" total crap? Or, are they worth buying?

- Is "Metalhead" heavier than "Killing Groungs", as many reviewers claim?

- Is "Crusader" any good?

wheels of steel is a deff buy so is

strong arm of the law deff buy
the eagle has landed deff buy
power and the glory deff buy
crusader is a good buy but the production isent all that good
rock the nations is for me anyway the worst saxon album
destiny again crap production and a bit to keyboardiash but theres some good songs on there
dogs of war is an ok album
and so is forever free
unleash the beast album is a deff buy
killing ground is ok but a bit to commercial in parts
the new album coming out in sept sounds brill LIONHEART heard some sound clips of it hope this helps you out a bit but at the end of the day

- where do I go from here? Which Saxon CDs should I pick up next?
Wheels of Steel / Strong Arm of the Law doublepack CD (1980 albums)
Metalhead (1999)
Unleash the Beast (1997)
Lionheart (2004) - when it's out!

- Is "Rock the Nations" or "Destiny" total crap? Or, are they worth buying?
Together with Crusader (and possibly Forever Free) they are probably Saxon's weakest albums. Destiny also has ABYSMALLY COMMERCIAL production with synths and keyboards. Urgh. Get them, but get them last ... trust me you'll buy all of Saxon's albums eventually ;)

Rock the Nations was also the most difficult one to find on CD when I was buying them a couple of years ago ... paying through the nose on eBay is what I ended up doing.

- Is "Metalhead" heavier than "Killing Groungs", as many reviewers claim?
Heavier definitely. But its also more of a "grower" rather than an instantly catchy album. Initially I far preferred KG although I now like them both.

- Is "Crusader" any good?
The title track is good. The rest is pretty average and was the point Saxon lost some fans in the 80s I reckon.

Thanks for the advice.

I have just ordered the "Wheels/Law" doublepack, as well as the "Metalhead" disc!
I cant wait for their arrival!

I've been listening to "Denim", "Innocence" & "KG" NONSTOP for the past 6 days, and I must say, this band kicks ass!

I can't believe that I've been into metal for 20+ years & have overlooked Saxon!

Its a hornets nest you opened hear mate.For me the only Saxon albums that are shit are the "D" albumwhich is so bad I dare not write its name for fear of turning in a big ball of soft shit,and foreverfree although people will argue the toss.All of the others are well worth a listen.

By the way that a big collection you have there.

I've recently given 'Forever Free' and 'Destiny' a listen, for the first times in a long time.

Forever Free - It's not as shit as I thought it was, but it's still a shit album in my opinion. Apart from the great tracks 'Forever Free' and 'Iron Wheels'. And the track 'I just want to make love to you' (which I don't like), all the other tracks just sound the same and are very ordinary.

Destiny - OK, the production is VERY 80's and the synths are very annoying, but there are some cracking songs on this album. I have read somewhere that this album was written to be much heavier than it turned out. And you can imagine what the songs would be like with better production and without the cheesey 80's sound. It is these type of songs that would have been great if Saxon re-recorded them for the Heavy Metal Thunder album. Destiny is not the shit album that a lot of people make it out to be. But each to their own I suppose!

Welcome to the message board Soundmaster.

Paxoman said:
Forever Free - It's not as shit as I thought it was, but it's still a shit album in my opinion. Apart from the great tracks 'Forever Free' and 'Iron Wheels'. And the track 'I just want to make love to you' (which I don't like), all the other tracks just sound the same and are very ordinary.

Destiny - OK, the production is VERY 80's and the synths are very annoying, but there are some cracking songs on this album. I have read somewhere that this album was written to be much heavier than it turned out. And you can imagine what the songs would be like with better production and without the cheesey 80's sound. It is these type of songs that would have been great if Saxon re-recorded them for the Heavy Metal Thunder album. Destiny is not the shit album that a lot of people make it out to be. But each to their own I suppose!
I'm quite happy to listen to Forever Free, and Iron Wheels is a cracking song, but its definitely nowhere near Saxon's strongest work. Most of it is okay, but I find the Just Wanna Make Love To You cover embarassing to listen to.

I suggested before that they should do a HMT part 2 with a lot of songs from Destiny. I agree a lot of the songs are good, its just the production that drags the album down. Unfortunately, it drags it down A LOT. The late 80s stuff sounds much more dated than the early 80s stuff!

Innocence is no excuse! Dont forget it. Though it isn't a masterpiece, in my opinion it's better than destiny, rock the nations etc. Tracks like Gonna Shout, Rock n' roll gypsie, Back on the streets and Broken Heroes rock!