Would I be hated if I said I don't like Robert Plant?

Bryan316

METAL... nuff said!
Yeah, this is destined to get me shot.

Okay. EVERYONE who's anyone claims that Robert Plant was the original, foundation-laying frontman of rock n roll. Everyone hails him as one of the legends. The beginning and the end IS Led Zeppelin. And Plant is the so-called prototypical Voice of Rock.

But I can't stand him!

Okay... let me give actual reasons and explanations, instead of just whining and blowing pointless opinions around.

I suffered through the classic rock radio station the other day at work, and they played a live Zeppelin track, and I had to stop and pay close attention to Plant's singing. He was not hitting the same note twice. He wasn't holding any of the long notes long at all, and always trailed off the pitch downward to fade it away. The few times he held a note, there was no vibrato to his voice, it was shaky and rough, and definitely off-key. He reached high for a few notes and his voice just broke up to a raspy crackle, whereas on the album version, he easily hit that note. In comparison to what I hear each year at Glenn's Mecca of Metal, it was quite sub-par.

Now, I absolutely understand how a singer can run out of breath running around on stage being the frontman and interacting with the crowd and getting their attention. But I really REALLY hate it when they sacrifice their performance for that sake! Worst offenders, Rob Zombie, Sebastian Bach and Amy Lee. They get awful once they start running around!

Later on, I heard Whole Lotta Love, and realized, even on the album, his voice was really shaky! That one long note near the end of the song, it sounded bad! No vibrato, wavy and uneven.. I don't get it.

And the live version that they play of Black Dog, the only time he sings the verse as high as on the album is the first line. Then, he sings it so low and without any energy! The song loses its power, loses its dramatic strength, and sounds lame. Just weak. As if his voice can't reach those notes. Well, if you write the song, you better be able to perform the song! Don't weaken it just cuz your voice sucks live! Get off the drinking and drugging and PERFORM!

I don't get it. I dunno why I'm ranting about this. I guess it's cuz I listen to Russell Allen and Urban Breed and Ripper Owens and Geoff Tate, and these guys can hit any and every note they'd ever record, without flaw. Like Michele Luppi last year... I NEVER THOUGHT FOR A SECOND that he could hit that looooong note at the end of La Vitta Fugge like he did on the album! I figured that was an impossible feat that was captured once in a perfect studio, on a perfect day, in perfect conditions. And he BLASTS that at us live without even wavering!

Am I too modern? Do I not have an appreciation for the originals? Like so many people still today LOVE the Beatles. Or the Stones, or Hendrix or Cream. Should I just ignore the little details, because Plant had such a perfect blend of showmanship, charisma, looks and performance, that a million panties thrown on stage can't be wrong?

I'm sure I've started a flame war here, but I really wanna know if others have noticed what I've noticed.

I love the guy, but if you don't, so be it. You're not hurting my feelings any. I don't think he's the greatest by technical means, but I've always liked his raw approach.

That's exactly what I was trying to say, with far fewer paragraphs. Technically, he ain't up there, but his attitude, his strut on stage, his emotion and energy are IT. But if I were studying vocalists for control and precision, he's not one I'd want to emulate.

Everything said here is truth. The guy had horrible technical ability. BUT! He has one of the most original voices (so few people can sing like he does, without completely being out of their element or sounding silly). But yeah technically he blows. But ask him if he cares (he might, I don't know. So ask him! =D ).

I'm a huge Hendrix fan in a similar way. I don't think the guy can sing amazingly. But man his voice cuts into my soul.

So should you love Mr. Plant? That's like asking "Should I love Robert Johnson just because he's amazing at what he does even though the blues have no effect on me?!" (I love Robert Johnson.) No. You don't need to love anybody that doesn't have an effect on you.

If you want to learn from Monsieur Plant, learn from him about the things you do love (like what notes he 'tries' to hit, or his emotion' or how every song seeps passion).

i like plant, and i like zeppelin

although led zeppelin were some of the pioneers of rock and roll, they are still regarded a little too high by alot of people.

i agree with most of what bryan said.

I agree with the thread comments to this post that RP is not the most technical singer on the face of the planet-- The reality is that around 1971 something happened to his voice which he never recovered from-- This is an endless discussion point among Zepaholics as to why this happened-- probably from the extensive touring of the first few years, touring in a lot of cold-ass places and doing 2 1/2-4 hour shows. If you listen to the first performances live of Black Dog, Rock and Roll etc., those were the only times he matched what he did on record exactly in the same key and precision.

If you want to hear Plant really soar, pick up the bootleg for the demos of the first album-- the way he attacks Babe Im Going to Leave you will blow you away.. Also- check out the Danish TV footage on the DVD-- How Many More Times is one of the most powerful performances EVER.

Yeah, this is destined to get me shot.

Later on, I heard Whole Lotta Love, and realized, even on the album, his voice was really shaky! That one long note near the end of the song, it sounded bad! No vibrato, wavy and uneven.. I don't get it.

And the live version that they play of Black Dog, the only time he sings the verse as high as on the album is the first line. Then, he sings it so low and without any energy! The song loses its power, loses its dramatic strength, and sounds lame. Just weak. As if his voice can't reach those notes. Well, if you write the song, you better be able to perform the song! Don't weaken it just cuz your voice sucks live! Get off the drinking and drugging and PERFORM!

I happen to like Plant, but if you don't then good for you. I sincerely doubt anyone is gonna hate you for it because I doubt anyone really cares that much about how each individual person here feels about such matters.

I will say that many people got burnt the fuck out of bands like Zep over the years from excessive radio play. They play the same mix of tracks and then you get so burnt out that you don't every wanna hear them again. I still listen to Zep but certainly not the tracks that I heard thousands upon thousands of times growing up on the radio.