Would it be better if drugs were legalized?

Should drugs be legalized

• Yes

Votes: 44 59.5%
  • No

Votes: 30 40.5%

• Total voters

Vimana

Mar 2, 2007
On Friday the topic of drugs was brought up in Health class. My teacher surprisingly said drugs should be legalized because criminals make money off of them and lots of gangs and violence comes from drugs. He said if drugs were legal organized crime would either make money off of something else which could keep them going, or they might not stay criminals. Suppose prostitution and drugs became legal, the Triad leaders (not making an Asian joke) probably own Chinese Restaurants or clubs or whatever, so without illegal drug distributing to make money off of they would move onto something else that doesn't involve stealing and killing people.

Also he said drug use could possibly be more responsible, with drugs legal people would probably have more knowledge about drugs other than "they make you high and kill you". Kids wouldn't try their own crazy signature recipes and druggies would probably listen to safety precautions on a joint pack rather than the ones they get in Health Class.

And he said drug use probably wouldn't increase, people who don't do drugs probably wouldn't do them if they were legal. Drug use could actually decrease because drug haters would become more angry and possibly attack drug users, or start riots that would scare people into not doing drugs.

Anyway, adding a counter argument brought up by one of the students in my class. They said they would kill more because alcohol kills more people than illegal drugs but the teacher said that alcohol is deadlier and is used out in the open where more accidents can happen when impaired. Also with an age restriction on it rather than a full restriction, it tempts people more and so they are less responsible with it.

The main question is:

Would more problems be solved than created if drugs were legalized?

The greater argument is whether government even has a legitimate power to control which substances citizens ingest. The answer is no, as in doing so one does not interfere with the natural rights of others nor does it interfere with the sanctity of their contracts. Any criminal actions taken while intoxicated can still be tried as if committed while lucid.

I think they should, with the age set to 18. I also think the drinking age should be set to 18.

Basically, this would remove the problems of people buying shitty drugs - once it's legal, it becomes a buyer's market and the quality of the drugs will improve. That would mean no more people dying from taking fucked up LSD or Ex or whatever.

I don't think more people would take drugs if they were legal. Possibly fewer would.

Very good point WAIF. With actual research other than "it killz u lawlz" people will know how to make drugs better and safer and companies will market it, also the drugs will be produced all the same instead of the way they would illegally where all the dealers try to throw in their own special flavor which could be deadly. And I also agree with you on fewer people taking them. Some just take them to be the tough guy that no one wants to mess with because he's breaking the law. Or to be the rebel.

But I don't think the drinking age should be 18. It should be lower. If people have access to alcohol at the time the pressure would normally begin (High School) if it was illegal for them they would be irresponsible. But if it was legal there wouldn't be any pressure and they would probably be more responsible with it, because they wouldn't celebrate getting it as much (by not drinking a shitload). And it also wouldn't seem as cool (although it probably would still be considered cool). One reason teens think its cool to drink and not do drugs is because drinking is something that is considered adult, and once it isn't considered adult, it is less cool. Although I'm sure teens would still get drunk and still die. This year a lot of people at my school started drinking. And I'm pretty sure a lot started from pressure.

It could also decrease teen drinking. If a teen can't get it and they ask their older brother who's a party freak to buy it, then their older brother might buy it. If the young teen is legal they might be scared of how they look being young and immature looking and going into a liquor store, they will ask their brother. And if they ask their older brother who's a party freak they will probably say "get it yourself, you can get it".

The greater argument is whether government even has a legitimate power to control which substances citizens ingest. The answer is no, as in doing so one does not interfere with the natural rights of others nor does it interfere with the sanctity of their contracts. Any criminal actions taken while intoxicated can still be tried as if committed while lucid.

There is no such thing as natural rights beside the developed idea in a few heads, no need to derail every thread with it ;) whether power is legitimate or not is pretty much irrelevant and indeterminable imho.

I agree with some illegal drugs being legalized. The main one being marijuana. Medicinally, this drug is much safer than any legal painkillers, sedatives such as valium and xanax. You cannot overdose on pot and it creates maximum pain relief for those who require medications for that purpose. it also doesn't cause respiratory depression and stimulates appetites for those who are stricken with cancer or any other disease that depresses appetite. The painkillers I mentioned before are more poison(vicodin,percocet,morphine,etc.)and will kill you if taken too many.They also may contain substances(i.e.Tylenol)if you ta..ke too many, can destroy your liver. They really don't work too well for severe pain. Our goverment is pretty close-minded to these facts and because it is a taboo drug, it may take a while for it to become legalized. Information needs to be spread to open peoples eyes. Knowledge truly is power.

Man this subject is way too deep to cover in less than a few chapters, seriously.

So I'll start by saying as long as Ciper keeps smoking his "contracts" he wont need any drugs.

I have NEVER felt drugs should be legal. Then you have the government with their excessive sin taxs as well as income taxs and I just hate to see them able to get their hands on money.

But you guys are right, it might be able to help with quality control, but do we want to send the message that drugs are Ok now because they are legal ? Look at the alcohol problems in this country simply because in many cases its been statis quo to a traditional sense in fact. Sure this happens currently with drugs anyhow but at least we are not saying its alright.

Then imagine the chaos as the inner cities are put further out of work... lol but still serious

It would create a revenue for the government rather than a burdon.

Still I dont believe we can say its OK to do crack, heroin, cocain, ect.

Now we come to a problem that is recent but most likely not as much on the mind of younger generations. Random urine tests : This has really raised hell on dope smokers but occasional coke uses can slide by because it doesnt stay in the system as long. Smoke some refer on friday night and come Monday morning you could loose your job. Like WOW man ! So many from my gen and younger have smoked nearly their entire adult lives and have never been problematic workers, or citizens yet with this random drug testing suddenly they have been put in jeopardy. Speaking for myself and many friends it really pisses us off. An alcoholic can spend all weekend drunk, beat the wife, you name it and never fear loosing his job. Its just screwed up and only amounts to a way for a huge health care related industry to reap fortunes harassing dope smokers. This is a huge and new business in this country.

So by that I now believe that MaryJ need to be legalized. Then the gov will really be pissed because nearly everyone grows their own anyhow now and how the hell can they tax that.

Now I dont support drug use and have always been against hard drugs, I've seen many a person screw their lives up with hard drugs. Weed is also a path best not to take but I grew up in the 70's when it was cheap and hey we liked it.

So in conclusion I dont think we can say yes to drugs but something has got to be done about this coming down on smokers of weed. It doesnt make people steal for their next fix, doesnt make anyone violent in fact the opposite and we are even now into many terms of various political positions held by former dope smokers. Something is just way screwed up. Our current county DA was a big player in the 80's cocaine scene... its just really fucked up.

I just dont have the answer for hard drugs but I know I do not like them at all, I've seen way to many good lives ruined due to their addictive nature.

i do agree with the legalization of drugs but there's always the statement of "with drugs, come problems" which is very true. but like you said, people who didn't do them aren't going to start such as people who choose not to drink and people who choose not to smoke

Certain drugs, like crystal meth as an example, I don't think should be legalized due to their ridiculous negative effects on everyone involved. Even if the government sanctioned it and reduced possible production explosions, our society is not conducive for people to walk around high or asleep literally for 2 weeks in a row. Social workers quite often walk into meth houses to find babies literally starving to death with moldy diapers that haven't been changed in weeks. On the other hand, meth is a popular drug due to the fact that it can be made and is therefore more accessible than other drugs. If drugs were legally sanctioned it would likely reduce the use of drugs like meth.

I'm in favor of the legalization, so long as the punishment for using in public is harsh, and the punishment for driving under the influence is far worse.

Very good point WAIF. With actual research other than "it killz u lawlz" people will know how to make drugs better and safer and companies will market it, also the drugs will be produced all the same instead of the way they would illegally where all the dealers try to throw in their own special flavor which could be deadly. And I also agree with you on fewer people taking them. Some just take them to be the tough guy that no one wants to mess with because he's breaking the law. Or to be the rebel.

But I don't think the drinking age should be 18. It should be lower. If people have access to alcohol at the time the pressure would normally begin (High School) if it was illegal for them they would be irresponsible. But if it was legal there wouldn't be any pressure and they would probably be more responsible with it, because they wouldn't celebrate getting it as much (by not drinking a shitload). And it also wouldn't seem as cool (although it probably would still be considered cool). One reason teens think its cool to drink and not do drugs is because drinking is something that is considered adult, and once it isn't considered adult, it is less cool. Although I'm sure teens would still get drunk and still die. This year a lot of people at my school started drinking. And I'm pretty sure a lot started from pressure.

It could also decrease teen drinking. If a teen can't get it and they ask their older brother who's a party freak to buy it, then their older brother might buy it. If the young teen is legal they might be scared of how they look being young and immature looking and going into a liquor store, they will ask their brother. And if they ask their older brother who's a party freak they will probably say "get it yourself, you can get it".
Yeah, definitely more research can't be a bad thing.
As far as drinking, I see that as a cultural thing; if parents started giving kids a little booze early on, made it so it was no big deal to have some alcohol, they wouldn't be all "let's get drunk!" because it wouldn't be exciting when they could have a little alcohol whenever.

If you are given cheesecake once, you'll eat a lot of it. But if you get cheesecake whenever you want it, you won't eat much and so you won't get fat.

Thanks, I thought that was a good analogy.

I agree with some illegal drugs being legalized. The main one being marijuana. Medicinally, this drug is much safer than any legal painkillers, sedatives such as valium and xanax. You cannot overdose on pot and it creates maximum pain relief for those who require medications for that purpose. it also doesn't cause respiratory depression and stimulates appetites for those who are stricken with cancer or any other disease that depresses appetite. The painkillers I mentioned before are more poison(vicodin,percocet,morphine,etc.)and will kill you if taken too many.They also may contain substances(i.e.Tylenol)if you ta..ke too many, can destroy your liver. They really don't work too well for severe pain. Our goverment is pretty close-minded to these facts and because it is a taboo drug, it may take a while for it to become legalized. Information needs to be spread to open peoples eyes. Knowledge truly is power.

Indeed. And with legalization, outreach programs like treatment, needle swaps, etc could be far more effective.

But the single biggest effect would be on crime; drug dealers would disappear overnight. Gangsters would be off the streets. Gang wars would be a thing of the past. The murder rate in many cities would drop drastically.

This poll is unsound. It needs a third option.
Truth. More like 10 options.
Actually, it needs to not be a poll.

Möglich;7327075 said:
Certain drugs, like crystal meth as an example, I don't think should be legalized due to their ridiculous negative effects on everyone involved. Even if the government sanctioned it and reduced possible production explosions, our society is not conducive for people to walk around high or asleep literally for 2 weeks in a row. Social workers quite often walk into meth houses to find babies literally starving to death with moldy diapers that haven't been changed in weeks. On the other hand, meth is a popular drug due to the fact that it can be made and is therefore more accessible than other drugs. If drugs were legally sanctioned it would likely reduce the use of drugs like meth.

I'm in favor of the legalization, so long as the punishment for using in public is harsh, and the punishment for driving under the influence is far worse.
Indeed, I think drugs that have proven to be extremely harmful such as meth and pcp should not be legalized; no one will go to the trouble of using meth illegally when they can use pot or coke cheaper and legally.
As far as punishment for public use, I think the punishment should be the same as for alcohol; if you're high and disorderly same punishment, if you drive, same as drunk driving. I think drunk driving penalties should be raised.

legalise dangerous drugs so idiots can kill themselves more easily, keep less dangerous drugs illegal to piss off all the potheads i know

If some drugs were left legal there would still be dealers. But then the more dangerous ones would kill more people. But after a number of years the addicts will either get help or die and the dealers would have no customers.

Addicts of hard drugs nearly almost always die, whats left of the "recovered" is not worth much. There is always a fresh young batch to step up to the user plate as others die.

Perhaps drugs and automobiles are mankinds last preditor. Which could be seen as a good thing, though the selection varies.

But the thing is if safer drugs are legal then it will draw people away from harder and deadlier drugs. Who would go through a possible arrest to get Meth when you could just buy pot at a store?

You'd be surprised, I know of people that wont smoke weed but I cant believe the other stuff they will do. Then there is the addiction factor, where they just cant help themselves. Some people are very addictive friendly and many dont want to be in their "right mind". This saved me, I like being in complete control so I never took to the stuff.

I'm so far out of being able to answer this poll. That's part of the reason it should have a third option (the rest being that it's simply smart and rational poll making, especially if you want meaningful results).

Legalising drugs would need to be seriously researched and discussed before I'd really consider it. None of that has happened really because it's so divisive.

What would you want to see researched Derek? Do you think any such research could actually indicate probable outcomes?

Personally I think the harm to society of either choice is unclear, so would err on the side of minimal restriction and governmental complexity, then correct if needed.